stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat Name
skiff
The RSW system also seemed to not be functioning right as they kept dumping bags of salt in the hole.

My fish after being processed is bloody and pre brined. It’s literally salty. Couldn’t be more disappointed in my tuna adventure this year.

I asked the captain about the lack of bleeding and was told the processing facility I was using would be able to clean it up for me….. LOL what an absolute joke.

I even asked the deckhands about spiking and was told it was considered dangerous, so were assist hooks on knife jigs.

My smaller fish were not bleed, or spiked. Smaller fish went straight to the warm RSW system and my lager fish were beaten to submission with a axe handle and gilled for a $10 fee.

I was shocked with 28 people at a time this boat wouldn’t know what paying clients would be expecting.

Take the best care of your catch, it’s what will be on your plate.

All the best,
Owen

What if I told you only 1 boat came in with that schedule....... 😉
Where do we find the long range ETA schedule?

Upvote 0

Dolt Sniper

Almost A Member
Sep 17, 2021
LA
Name
Jesus
Boat Name
None
Not aimed at any particular boat but I hate how some crews treat your catch like Ace Ventura treats a UPS package.

Sidenote: How long until the "get your own boat" guys get here?

Reactions: bob_marlin
Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat Name
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner
    Hard to imagine a boat not allowing someone to bleed a fish. If this was the case it would be well known knowledge in the LR community. I will be on that boat in a couple days and will report if it is in fact the case.

I plan on talking to the deck hand ahead of time and ask if he has any preferences. Like bleeding in the fish box.

Upvote 0

crazypopie1

Almost A Member
    Mar 5, 2017
    Murrieta
    Name
    George Acosta
    Boat Name
    No
    I was on a axe handle beating boat some years back and they charged $100 to gut/gill big BFT. They also charged $10 to fillet the small fish because they told us the processors would not do them…total lie. I have not fished that boat again as it felt like I was getting violated in a level 5 prison yard.

Reactions: HBB and Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Good
    Boat Name
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I’m spiking and bleeding fish. I fish for fun and food. I have zero interest in killing what won’t be properly cared food and even less interest in eating that mush. There’s a reason this website is called BloodyDecks…

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Yes, agreed. The crew should have bled all the fish, but they didn't. They would not allow customers to use spikes or knives on deck. Is this an anomaly on this one boat, or is it common to just toss em into RSW and call it good?

Most all boats certainly do not want passengers running around with knives and spikes. That is normal (and wise).

The crew not making the effort to bleed fish and/or stopping passengers from doing it in a safe manner like your thumb or dykes is not only abnormal it is total BS.
    The boat I was just recently on said NO, as it creates a mess. Slippery conditions, this was for guests and crew safety.

Deck hoses use a lot of water - don't you know there is a drought going on!? :D

Upvote 0

Bigdog 1961

Desert Sportfisherman
    Aug 1, 2015
    Cave Creek AZ
    Name
    David Piazza
    Boat Name
    Been there done that
    Was on the Excalibur a few years ago and they don’t bleed your fish. I just used a couple of fingers to pull the gill connection lose. Hopefully I described that correctly, they did bleed. The year before that and was on the Top Gun and I don’t think they bled either.

Reactions: Jmetz
    Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat Name
    26' sea swirl
    A small incision about the size of a box cutter on the lateral line just behind the pec fin equals no more blood

DBF4B449-35DB-492E-A3D0-3DB3EA3B9D94.jpeg

Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat Name
    which one
    was on a trip a few weeks ago and the captain made sure the second the fish hit the deck it was bled and gutted. i told him thats great you make sure the fish are well taken care of he explained the fish will be fine if they sit for a little bit but the more blood and oils that come off the fish that we get in the water the more the fish want to stick with the boat. and seeing how it was wide open for about three hours i believe him

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Comox Valley, BC
    Name
    Owen
    Boat Name
    Silver Streak
    Hard to imagine a boat not allowing someone to bleed a fish. If this was the case it would be well known knowledge in the LR community. I will be on that boat in a couple days and will report if it is in fact the case.

I plan on talking to the deck hand ahead of time and ask if he has any preferences. Like bleeding in the fish box.
    Josh if its to hard to imagine, I could send you photos. Plus a list of great people I met on this trip that can verify this. including the person who started this thread.

Good Luck,

Upvote 0

SteveD

Gambler
  • Nov 28, 2005
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    never again
    What boats are doing this? Or should we just list off all the boats that do bleed and spike the fish and do a process of elimination?
    What boats over 1 day trips don't bleed their fish ? Please help so us, that require this service, can avoid them

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    ALWAYS bleed the fish before the RSW. We always have on Condor, other boats I've fished over the years. Cut/spike the gill plates, head down in a gunny to bleed works great. On this trip we had several wide open bluefin and yellowfin stops along with Shogun nearby.
    STOP fishing...fish all tagged into the RSW's. THEN back to more fishing LOL

BluefinBloodyDecks.jpg

Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat Name
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner
    Josh if its to hard to imagine, I could send you photos. Plus a list of great people I met on this trip that can verify this. including the person who started this thread.

Good Luck,

I believe you man. Just hard to get my head around. That would deflate a person on a trip. I'm sorry to hear the quality of your fish is so poor to. I get when you were saying the pride you have when sharing your catch. I'm off tomorrow on the boat & hope that the feed back given to the boat will mean changes......

Reactions: Leo Montana
    Upvote 0

Latest posts