4tunate

Almost A Member
  • Sep 26, 2021
    Reno, NV
    Name
    Brent
    Boat Name
    LowKeys
    Recently returned from a six day trip which we caught limits of schoolie yellowtail and YFT (12 pound average, smaller models). The last day we targeted BFT and larger model YFT and had some good success. The crew on this boat does not spike the fish, nor do they bleed them. Straight into RSW. They do offer to gill and gut the big fish (over 40 pounds) for a nominal fee, but the majority of the catch did not get bled at all. Personally, I would have preferred to treat my catch with the respect it deserves by bleeding it. We were disappointed when we picked up our fish from the processor, the quality of the fish was not what it should have been. We spend a lot of money for these trips, and all sportsmen should take care of the bounty which they hunt and fish.

Is not bleeding the fish a common practice these days, or is this boat a one off?

Upvote 0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Carter John Stambelos
    Recently returned from a six day trip which we caught limits of schoolie yellowtail and YFT (12 pound average, smaller models). The last day we targeted BFT and larger model YFT and had some good success. The crew on this boat does not spike the fish, nor do they bleed them. Straight into RSW. They do offer to gill and gut the big fish (over 40 pounds) for a nominal fee, but the majority of the catch did not get bled at all. Personally, I would have preferred to treat my catch with the respect it deserves by bleeding it. We were disappointed when we picked up our fish from the processor, the quality of the fish was not what it should have been. We spend a lot of money for these trips, and all sportsmen should take care of the bounty which they hunt and fish.

Is not bleeding the fish a common practice these days, or is this boat a one off?
    lmk the boat so I don't book with them lol

Upvote 0

4tunate

Almost A Member
  • Sep 26, 2021
    Reno, NV
    Name
    Brent
    Boat Name
    LowKeys
    Yes, agreed. The crew should have bled all the fish, but they didn't. They would not allow customers to use spikes or knives on deck. Is this an anomaly on this one boat, or is it common to just toss em into RSW and call it good?

Reactions: Fish Assassin
    Upvote 0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Simi Valley
    Name
    Carter John Stambelos
    Yes, agreed. The crew should have bled all the fish, but they didn't. They would not allow customers to use spikes or knives on deck. Is this an anomaly on this one boat, or is it common to just toss em into RSW and call it good?
    They won't ike jime your fish but they should always spike and bleed them before RSW.

Reactions: Fish Assassin
    Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    If nothing else, cut the gills (or rip them out) with your dykes. Even rockfish should be bled, makes a huge difference in quality of the meat. But especially the pelagics. Just inexcusable for the boat to not deal with that. Surprised they didn't just leave your catch in gunnysacks on deck while they were at it.

Name the boat, please.

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Comox Valley, BC
    Name
    Owen
    Boat Name
    Silver Streak
    4tunate,

Yes all fish no matter of their size should be bleed and cared for by the crew no matter what or who’s vessel your on.

I think I was on this trip, or at least the same boat.
    $10 for bleeding and gutting your larger fish. The RSW system also seemed to not be functioning right as they kept dumping bags of salt in the hole.

My fish after being processed is bloody and pre brined. It’s literally salty. Couldn’t be more disappointed in my tuna adventure this year.

I asked the captain about the lack of bleeding and was told the processing facility I was using would be able to clean it up for me….. LOL what an absolute joke.

I even asked the deckhands about spiking and was told it was considered dangerous, so were assist hooks on knife jigs.

My smaller fish were not bleed, or spiked. Smaller fish went straight to the warm RSW system and my lager fish were beaten to submission with a axe handle and gilled for a $10 fee.

I was shocked with 28 people at a time this boat wouldn’t know what paying clients would be expecting.

Take the best care of your catch, it’s what will be on your plate.

All the best,
    Owen

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    If it's full speed tuna biting, I want the crew on deck with the gaffs. I take care of my own fish. Unhook, cut the gill, walk it back to the kill box.

Use you dykes to cut a couple of the gills.

Or like lowprofile said, stick your thumb or duckbills into the membrane under the collar.

kOWuZlS8EIJO625-WBDvDQ_b.png

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Comox Valley, BC
    Name
    Owen
    Boat Name
    Silver Streak
    I left a small gratuity because I could not walk away leaving nothing and I assume many others did the same as well. I can only hope and pray that this crew on the boat that I was on reflect on this when they open their wallets.

I came to fish, to take home some pristine fish to share with my family and friends.

On my 6 day we fished maybe 48hrs, 4-5hrs was at night. The crew must have been well rested by the end of our trip.

Was a learning event for all of us.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    There are literally dozens of boats fishing multi-day trips, and while the great majority are excellent platforms there are a handful that just want to do things the "good old way" like twenty years ago. Reading reports here on BD can give you a good idea of the boats that you should be booking your trips with.

I don't care that you didn't name the boat. I have my own list of good and never-again boats to ride, and I think that most offshore fishermen do the same. But I also have dykes on my belt and as was mentioned, it only takes a moment to cut the gills. I never assume that the crew should do it. And most of the boats now put the fish into big bleed tubs when they are tagged and only empty the fish from the tub into the RSW hold after the frenzy slows down. And the tub then gets rinsed.

Upvote 0

davidsk

Salty
    Jun 11, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    myboat
    Always bleed the fish, no matter if it’s rockfish, yellowtail or tuna. I carry my own clippers to snip gills. During a hot bite the crew might not have the time. A bled fish will stay fresh longer and taste better

Reactions: strackle99
    Upvote 0

HighWildFree

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat Name
    Spaghetti Madness
    I was on a boat couple weeks ago, bled my own fish as the crew was busy. Only problem was I looked like I murdered somebody after!

• Haha
    Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

getaway

• Aug 22, 2008
    jamul
    Name
    jim
    Boat Name
    23 parker, sea venture
    you are right. you pay good money for the trip and you should end up with quality fish. everyone know that you have to bleed the fish these days. bigger tuna must be gilled and gutted. sorry they send you home with cat food....

Upvote 0