Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
As a broker I’ve sold dental practices, dental buildings, my family has been dentists, hygienists & assistants for 4 generations . I’ve seen the invoices, I’ve witnessed the markups, I’ve run businesses with offices in six states and over 350 employees thanks for reminding me why I no longer do.

And you sold all those practices pro bono?

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
I think those of us that have asked for or offered a recommendation for a dentist in TJ, which is the title of this thread, have done so based on out of pocket expense, knowing we are not dealing with the type of technology, sophistication or educational costs of a US dentist. We...I... just can't afford to carry dental insurance, which pretty much means we can't afford the costs of going to anyone but a TJ dentist. We're just willing to try the care South of the border that others recommend. Few years back, blew a quadriceps tendon in Puerto Vallarta, had reconstructive surgery down there. Five days in the hospital, four MEX-trained doctors and an operating room void of stainless steel. White (marble-looking) tile instead. Yep, I was nervous knowing there would be tons of people saying they'd never get operated on down there. I, personally, had no choice: airline was requiring a medical clearance because of the injury. Worked out just fine! Kaiser docs here said it all looked just as good as they would have done. (Pics available by PM -request). Here's another way I look at dental and medical care in MEX: it ain't up to US standards, but it works for millions living in MEX, including US-expats. Guarantee: there are more US citizens in the waiting room at Washington Dental than MEX nationals.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
I think those of us that have asked for or offered a recommendation for a dentist in TJ, which is the title of this thread, have done so based on out of pocket expense, knowing we are not dealing with the type of technology, sophistication or educational costs of a US dentist. We...I... just can't afford to carry dental insurance, which pretty much means we can't afford the costs of going to anyone but a TJ dentist. We're just willing to try the care South of the border that others recommend. Few years back, blew a quadriceps tendon in Puerto Vallarta, had reconstructive surgery down there. Five days in the hospital, four MEX-trained doctors and an operating room void of stainless steel. White (marble-looking) tile instead. Yep, I was nervous knowing there would be tons of people saying they'd never cut operated on down there. I, personally, had no choice: airline was requiring a medical clearance because of the injury. Worked out just fine! Kaiser docs here said it all looked just as good as they would have done. (Pics available by PM -request). Here's another way I look at dental and medical care in MEX: it ain't up to US standards, but it works for millions living in MEX, including US-expats. Guarantee: there are more US citizens in the waiting room at Washington Dental than MEX nationals.

Upvote 0

steveooo

Sep 20, 2005
Brea
Name
steve
Boat
Yak
I'll reply since I bumped this up.

I hadn't been to a dentist in 20+ years. I dont like dentists, and dont have dental insurance. I have a few tooth issues, but nothing pressing. I have one particular tooth that has been missing a filling for at least 10 years. Aside from having a hole, it was no issue until the week of thanksgiving when it started to hurt, and was getting worse every day.

I stopped by a random dentist on the way home from work because I've heard horror stories of tooth pain going from a 3 to a 10 overnight. The dentist did x-rays looked at the tooth and said I need root canal and crown, to the tune of over $2500. He said I should treat it urgently.

Thats when I bumped this thread up looking for other options. $2500 before the holidays was going to suck, and there had to be a better option. Reading the replies in this thread, I saw member Cast Gold (Kris) had replied a few times. I had fished with Kris on a WSB charter on the Fortune a few years back (my fish was bigger). I actually forgot he was a dentist. I reached out via PM here, and basically decided that if I was going to have to spend that amount of money, I'd rather keep in in the BD community vs giving it to some random dentist.

Kris gave me his contact info, and the next day I had a 9 am appt at his office in Santa Ana.

After initially checking out the tooth and doing the x-rays, Kris said that the tooth probably did need the root canal & crown, but there was a slight chance that a drill & fill would work. He wouldn't really be able to make the determination until he actually started drilling to see how bad the decay in the tooth was. I figured that was his was of just making me feel better about dropping that kind of coin down.

I expected to spend $2500, have a long day of drilling in the chair, and have to come back in for a follow up appt to get the crown put on. 30 minutes from me initially sitting down in his chair I was walking out with the drill and fill work complete, and paid less than 1/10th of what I was expecting to have to.

For all the horror stories about dentists, I walked out of Kris' office feeling like I had just won the lottery. A trip to the dentist will never be fun, but I know who I'm going to call next time.

I don't do yelp, so I figure a shout out on here is about as close as I can come.

If you need a dentist, go see Kris, Cast Gold. He's honest, does good work, and is a fellow fisherman. What more do you need? His office is in Santa Ana, so as a bonus, he's only about 3 minute drive from the Longfin in Orange.

Office number is 714.835.1015
Receptionist is Eileen
Address:
1401 N Tustin Ave Suite 345
Santa Ana CA 92705

Steve

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I think those of us that have asked for or offered a recommendation for a dentist in TJ, which is the title of this thread, have done so based on out of pocket expense, knowing we are not dealing with the type of technology, sophistication or educational costs of a US dentist. We...I... just can't afford to carry dental insurance, which pretty much means we can't afford the costs of going to anyone but a TJ dentist. We're just willing to try the care South of the border that others recommend. Few years back, blew a quadriceps tendon in Puerto Vallarta, had reconstructive surgery down there. Five days in the hospital, four MEX-trained doctors and an operating room void of stainless steel. White (marble-looking) tile instead. Yep, I was nervous knowing there would be tons of people saying they'd never get operated on down there. I, personally, had no choice: airline was requiring a medical clearance because of the injury. Worked out just fine! Kaiser docs here said it all looked just as good as they would have done. (Pics available by PM -request). Here's another way I look at dental and medical care in MEX: it ain't up to US standards, but it works for millions living in MEX, including US-expats. Guarantee: there are more US citizens in the waiting room at Washington Dental than MEX nationals.
Just out of curiosity, did the hospital require that you pay your bill in full before they would release you? I ask this because I have heard of a case where the person had a heart attack and needed to be air lifted back to the US, but the hospital would not release him until the bill was paid. He later died.

Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
:imdumb:Wow! Read the entire thread! Amazing! Simply amazing! I have dental insurance and the last 8 years out of pocket has been around 4-5 thousand per year. a couple root canals, 2 implants, deep cleaning and fix shit that was fixed a couple years earlier by the same dentist.
The Guy is absolutely amazing and smart dude (My Dentist), but the prices over the border made me hit the fuking floor! Get the out of here. And my grill ain't that frigging bad! I could've fished and got my fuking teeefeecees fixed at the same damn time! Hell I have no frigging loyalty to no damn dentist. lawd I'm dead right now!

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Always great to hear first hand feedback from BD/Fisherman taking honest care of our fellow like minded people. Kudo's to Cast Gold Kris, DDS. Many times it is better to save the roots if at all possible, but like the Professional told you, until he's in there you just don't know. Thanks for sharing a great referral.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
For Cubeye and others: Yes, had to pay for my treatment and stay in the PV hospital before being released. Got to figure: doctors/dentists in Mex don't know me. For all they know, I'm gonna skip out once I can clear their doorstep and make a run to the SENTRI line. Took a call back states-side to the credit union to release the run on my card. Total came out to more than the wife and I took for the trip, and the card was being blocked because of the amount (internationally). The total charges for everything came out to $5k, a fantastic deal by US standard charges. A little off topic here, but now I am a huge proponent of checking the "yes" box to the question "do you want to purchase medical insurance for your flight into Mexico". The experience further re-enforced with me the medical & dental care is fine in Mex, and much more affordable if you need it as an option. As for the person that passed away while awaiting funds, believable, but one wonders just how bad he was from his condition. (Sorry if this jacked the original thread; just answering a question.)

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
For Cubeye and others: Yes, had to pay for my treatment and stay in the PV hospital before being released. Got to figure: doctors/dentists in Mex don't know me. For all they know, I'm gonna skip out once I can clear their doorstep and make a run to the SENTRI line. Took a call back states-side to the credit union to release the run on my card. Total came out to more than the wife and I took for the trip, and the card was being blocked because of the amount (internationally). The total charges for everything came out to $5k, a fantastic deal by US standard charges. A little off topic here, but now I am a huge proponent of checking the "yes" box to the question "do you want to purchase medical insurance for your flight into Mexico". The experience further re-enforced with me the medical & dental care is fine in Mex, and much more affordable if you need it as an option. As for the person that passed away while awaiting funds, believable, but one wonders just how bad he was from his condition. (Sorry if this jacked the original thread; just answering a question.)
At least now, they take credit cards. Back then it was cash and they didn't have ATM machines. Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0