sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    This is what we do up North when they grab a salmon. They can't eat underwater they have to come to the surface to eat so run at them to make them dive. Keep forcing them under over and over till they let the fish go then reel it in as fast as you can. Obviously this only works on a private boat not a cattle boat. In the past you could take a shotgun out and blast them, sometimes the old ways were best.

Ah the old days...

They have always been quick learners. Those big dogs were a PITA to get out of the net. Pop one or two that would sit just outside the corkline between those green eyes and their buddies would back off 30 feet or so. Pop a couple more and another 30 feet. At that point only the dumb ones would come up for a breath close. There wasn't many. Quick learners.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    I have fun with the slingshot.

My friend has fun with his paintball gun.

Upvote 0

baitedgyro

Almost A Member
    Dec 1, 2009
    SANTA CLARITA
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    25' Boston Whaler 1983
    We've used fresh dead macks usually purchased from the Asian markets and if there's a hook up and know there's dogs in the area, we'll toss one or two on the opposite side of the hooked fish. Toss up and high to make the splash sound.

I don't like the idea of using any peppers or spiced up inside the macks. I think this will only make the dogs wise up and start to learn to not to eat those.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    WInd faster!!!

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Try using a 12 gauge flare shot from a gun at a slight angle into the water in the direction of the seal/seals. It looks like a red torpedo traveling under water chasing the seal out of town. It works like a charm and the seals aren't used to seeing that. Save all of your expired flares for seal control.

Upvote 0