Tips / Tricks for Fish vs. Sea Lions?

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    I can’t stand sea lions… most trips it’s tough enough to get a fish hooked up and then when there are sea lions around you know the odds are not in your favor so, I’d love to know what are any tips and tricks to actually get the fish to the boat and not get “sealed”?

I want to be as prepared as can be so even if a seal gets on our fish… what do we need to do to try to win the tug o war and not just break the fish off…?

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat Name
    Lard ass
    :D:finger::Beat_Them:Beat_Them

tumblr_pbvpfpG0aQ1vrbf4zo1_400.gif

Upvote 0

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    These bastards were eating 100lb+ BFT over the weekend
    I know.... :(

That's why I'm trying to get some extra tricks in the toolbelt... even though I know it's probably one of those things more times than not we're screwed.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat Name
    my blood vessel
    Eat 'Em!

How Does A Sea Lion Taste? “It’s a different meat, but if you like different, wild meat, you’ll like seal.” With a taste that is equal parts gamey and fishy, with a texture comparable with veal and duck, seal is a very dark meat which is surprisingly low in fat and rich in iron and Omega-3.:hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta:

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat Name
    YES
    This is what we do up North when they grab a salmon. They can't eat underwater they have to come to the surface to eat so run at them to make them dive. Keep forcing them under over and over till they let the fish go then reel it in as fast as you can. Obviously this only works on a private boat not a cattle boat. In the past you could take a shotgun out and blast them, sometimes the old ways were best.

Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat Name
    YES
    Eat 'Em!

How Does A Sea Lion Taste? “It’s a different meat, but if you like different, wild meat, you’ll like seal.” With a taste that is equal parts gamey and fishy, with a texture comparable with veal and duck, seal is a very dark meat which is surprisingly low in fat and rich in iron and Omega-3.:hali_olutta::hali_olutta::hali_olutta:
    A 100,000 Eskimos can't be wrong.

Upvote 0

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    This is what we do up North when they grab a salmon. They can't eat underwater they have to come to the surface to eat so run at them to make them dive. Keep forcing them under over and over till they let the fish go then reel it in as fast as you can. Obviously this only works on a private boat not a cattle boat. In the past you could take a shotgun out and blast them, sometimes the old ways were best.
    That's good info. I didn't know that but that makes sense!

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Might be hard to do with bft but if you’re at the islands with a yellow and the dog is on you, throw it into free spool with slightly more than normal thumb pressure.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    What does that do? Do they let em go without the pressure or ?

Ideally you do it before the dog gets it.

Though I have also seen it work when it’s in their mouths. Think playing tug a war with a dog, they will at some point drop it to get a better grip on it if there is no pressure on it. At which point you want that fish to be able to get away from it, it can't if your pulling on it.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mykiss

(Oncorhynchus) mykiss...
    Jul 6, 2014
    Name
    Wallace Mathes
    Boat Name
    '95 Proline 210 Sportsman
    If you remember how good you were with a sling shot as a youngster, you might keep them back from the boat while adrift or at anchor using state approved clay balls for ammo. With a partner aboard, you might even boat an undamaged fish once in a while in spite of the fur balls.

Sorry, I must have been dreaming...

Reactions: Cole418
    Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cali
    Name
    alby
    Boat Name
    None
    I've lit and used hundreds of seal bombs while wrapping bait...just like everything else they learn what they are and lose fear completely turning bombs into a dinner bell instead..
    In the end the only use we had for them was to drop them in the opening while pursing to keep the bait from getting chased put of the net then deal with the seals that wouldn't jump out..

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    I can’t stand sea lions… most trips it’s tough enough to get a fish hooked up and then when there are sea lions around you know the odds are not in your favor so, I’d love to know what are any tips and tricks to actually get the fish to the boat and not get “sealed”?

I want to be as prepared as can be so even if a seal gets on our fish… what do we need to do to try to win the tug o war and not just break the fish off…?
    When I had my skiff, and a sea lion grabbed a yellowtail, I'd try to maneuver my skiff so I was straight up and down. Eventually they let go to come up to breath, they let go, and pull like hell! If I could get the yellowtail close to the surface, other behavioral modification techniques could be applied. I had quite a few tricks up my sleeve! The bastards are smart, but not human smart. I hate to admit it, but on occasion I would pass those sea lions onto other boats in the area and turn my radio off! Just way too fucking many sea lions nowadays, they freaking breed like rabbits!

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    We had a run of big bones a couple years back. We were fishing big line, so no worry of losing the fish.

When a furbag would swim up near us, we undid the bail and let the fish sound, while driving away. Once away, we'd flip the bail and angle the fish back up.

If needed, we just drove away from the furbag, just dragging the fish away behind us.

They'd get confused and look elsewhere.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    once a fish is bitten and if recovered are they still ok to consume? I was always told due to the bacteria in the months the fish meat is not longer good. same with shark bites? never got a straight answer….

Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Haven't tried it yet but there was another thread where someone suggested a laser pointer. Bought one that same day, but haven't needed it yet.

Upvote 0

Latest posts