Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Well this is from the non rod building side, but a bubble is a bubble. I would mix my polymer (epoxy) then put it in a container and pull a vacuum on it. Bubbles would grow like crazy, float to the top and pop.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
when you mix your part a and part b , mix and stir slow and smoothly or use a mixer unit kinda like Mud Hole sells. mix thoroughly let set a minute , be sure your mixing in a room environment as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
I mix fast & make a foam in the cup..Bubbles are all BS...If your having problems with them its most likely the brand of finish thickness of finish & if you flame it or not...also if you use CP or not..

I CP ever type of thread ,, pack them tight together gaps will cause bubbles ..I use a lite finish in several thin coats..flame each coat with a low flame moving fast along the blank while it turning, from a MAP Gas torch

go back over the finish with the brush loaded with a little finish torch again .wait a few & give it a look ,, flame again if needed..

getting a glass smooth finish takes work & time ..& it all starts with a good wrap job...using a quality thread & finish products .

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Flame each coat with a low flame moving fast along the blank while it turning, from a MAP Gas torch
    1623346521404.png
    Nice Clean flame

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cheese Burt
    Upvote 0

VooDooRods

• Mar 19, 2012
    Lafayette,LA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    Ranger Ghost 183
    From my experience, most bubble issues (once applied to rod/wrap) is when epoxy is applied too thick. Bubbles in cup are irrelevant. Air bubbles will want to escape on every thread wrap - its the nature of the beast. You need to let this happen & be patient - they will disappear on their own after a few minutes or a light pass with a good heat source will help (some type of torch is recommended here). The problem occurs when the epoxy is to thick for the bubbles to escape.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    From my experience, most bubble issues (once applied to rod/wrap) is when epoxy is applied to thick. Bubbles in cup are irrelevant. Air bubbles will want to escape on every thread wrap - its the nature of the beast. You need to let this happen & be patient - they will disappear on their own after a few minutes or a light pass with a good heat source will help (some type of torch is recommended here). The problem occurs when the epoxy is to thick for the bubbles to escape.
    I do exactly what VooDoo says. Except sometime I get too aggressive with a butane flame after applying and it liquifies and drips. Buts it does even out the coats and removes bubble. Also, I seem to have the best luck with ProKote. I find FlexCoat temperamental, but maybe that's just me,

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I like Classic!

Upvote 0

jg125

Nov 18, 2011
    Phila Pa. Cape May, Nj USA
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    I use a epoxy mixer makes a big difference bubbles are going to be there knowing how to use your heat is your friend every epoxy brand is a little different on bubble release some times it's better to use one finish and master the technique I use many finishes and learned what heat source for what finish I am using it could be frustrating be patient you will get the hang of it

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    CP or NCP thread, it doesn't matter — ALWAYS apply 1-2 coats of color preserver.
    Problem solved.

Color preserver is for preserving color. It's helping to reduce bubbles because it's forcing the air out of the thread, which you can do with finish and possibly save yourself a step.

If you need a torch, your ambient temp is too low in the first place. I haven't used one in years, although I do only work with finish once my shop temp is 80 or higher.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    And if you do end up with bubbles, fish it like you stole it. Won't keep you from getting bit.

"Yeah, better give me the insurance. Cause I'm going to beat the hell out of this rod." :D

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    D2 is what I use but might change it up thinking it might be the thread I use. I use fugi nocp and get bubbles but with others I dont get any.
    Don't let the bubbles get to you, a bit of heat, build to enjoy what you are building. :-)

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

Nov 20, 2011
    Thornton
    Name
    Chuck Mc
    Boat
    none
    Color preserver is for preserving color. It's helping to reduce bubbles because it's forcing the air out of the thread, which you can do with finish and possibly save yourself a step.

If you need a torch, your ambient temp is too low in the first place. I haven't used one in years, although I do only work with finish once my shop temp is 80 or higher.
    That's easy enough to do lately. 😆

Reactions: Hotroddin
    Upvote 0

Latest posts