surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
This question comes up at least twice each year, Skip. AKSalmon said it right. Welcome to Bloody Decks! Up at the top of the page, under "FORUMS" is a "Search forums" tab. Any question you might have, feel free to search for a previous discussion of the matter, whatever it is. Then you can ask a further question any time you want to if you need more clarity.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
oh noes! Not again! LOL

hey, searching is complicated. Easier to just post a question. :rolleyes:

A: 15-20% of cost of the trip. MORE if you received "special help". my $.02

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Good question..

Say you go to dinner with your family.. The cute, young waitress, walks up, smiles at you... writes down you orders, maybe checks on you one or twice, then delivers your bill... You happily tip her 15% for all of her excessive labor.. right ?

Now, consider.. on your fishing trip your deckhands..... load the boat, help you carry your heavy gear to your room, etc.. They help you rig up your gear, offer expert experienced advice... Now, they are also your waiters, so they serve you your meals, bus your tables and then clean the heads several times per day... While you are sleeping, they are driving the boat, standing watch in the middle of the night... Time to fish, they are chumming, untangling lines, helping you all day long, gaffing fish, tagging fish, cleaning the decks multiple times per day. Now, the fishing is slow, they are at your side telling you funny stories, making you laugh making the slow times not so tough... You hook that trophy fish.. .they are at your side the entire fight, coaching you, encouraging you, getting you out of tangles, maybe out of the anchor line.... then finally gaff that fish of a lifetime... high fives... then once again, clean the heads, meals, running the boat...

At the end of the trip, after cleaning the boat, they help you unload, then unload all of the fish, etc...

Now, you get my point.. who deserves a 15 % to 20% tip, a deckhand, who does not sleep, or the 18 year pretty girl wit the nice body, who really did nothing more than write down an order... Budget for the tip.. .The crews work their asses off and rely on the tips for their livelihood.

Tight lines,

Jeff.

ExMNFisher

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Kyle
Boat
None
I tip 20 percent (in addition to fish cleaning) for all boats (mostly fish half days and full days due to limited budget). Like others have said if you can afford a long range, you can afford to tip.

Also if you win the jackpot, due the right thing, give it to the crew.

Thanks for asking better than assuming and not tipping enough.

Last edited:

azbaseball

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
I have not been on a long range in years. Cost of raising a family, Can you still give them a cashiers check I used to do that instead of carrying hundreds of dollars around the boat other than the poker money I would go to my bank and get a cashiers check made out to the boat They would give the money directly to the crew like a tip without the w2's

ExMNFisher

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Kyle
Boat
None
I have not been on a long range in years. Cost of raising a family, Can you still give them a cashiers check I used to do that instead of carrying hundreds of dollars around the boat other than the poker money I would go to my bank and get a cashiers check made out to the boat They would give the money directly to the crew like a tip without the w2's
From my limited experience it has been cash only

craig ito

Dec 13, 2017
norwalk
Name
craig
Boat
seaswirl
20-25% is common on our charter....these are seasoned veterans, with an occasional new hand, not your average deckhand...they don’t get paid for the amount of hours they are really putting in, and don’t complain and do it day in day out....not to mention all the shit you can learn from them throughout the trip...pay attention and ask questions and you’ll get more than your 20% back in knowledge alone...especially on your first few long ones...g/l

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Good question..

Say you go to dinner with your family.. The cute, young waitress, walks up, smiles at you... writes down you orders, maybe checks on you one or twice, then delivers your bill... You happily tip her 15% for all of her excessive labor.. right ?

Now, consider.. on your fishing trip your deckhands..... load the boat, help you carry your heavy gear to your room, etc.. They help you rig up your gear, offer expert experienced advice... Now, they are also your waiters, so they serve you your meals, bus your tables and then clean the heads several times per day... While you are sleeping, they are driving the boat, standing watch in the middle of the night... Time to fish, they are chumming, untangling lines, helping you all day long, gaffing fish, tagging fish, cleaning the decks multiple times per day. Now, the fishing is slow, they are at your side telling you funny stories, making you laugh making the slow times not so tough... You hook that trophy fish.. .they are at your side the entire fight, coaching you, encouraging you, getting you out of tangles, maybe out of the anchor line.... then finally gaff that fish of a lifetime... high fives... then once again, clean the heads, meals, running the boat...

At the end of the trip, after cleaning the boat, they help you unload, then unload all of the fish, etc...

Now, you get my point.. who deserves a 15 % to 20% tip, a deckhand, who does not sleep, or the 18 year pretty girl wit the nice body, who really did nothing more than write down an order... Budget for the tip.. .The crews work their asses off and rely on the tips for their livelihood.

Tight lines,

Jeff.
Where's this 18 year old work at again?

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL

Tight lines,

Jeff.

Duh, The "hottie" deserves it if she bends over and flashes you some nip.

Reactions: kevina and BenG
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
I want to go on a long range trip. I’ve been fishing my whole life without going longer than 3.5 Days. I fished shorter trips on the American Angler. Question is kind of outside the topic because I always tip good no matter the duration of the trip I’m on. But for those of you who have been on multiple long range trips what’s the best time of year to plan a 8 to 10 day trip?

trunk777

Jul 24, 2006
yorba linda
Name
mike
Boat
yours
Good question..

Tight lines,

Jeff.
does she have a really nice ass?

Reactions: Koyote

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
I want to go on a long range trip. I’ve been fishing my whole life without going longer than 3.5 Days. I fished shorter trips on the American Angler. Question is kind of outside the topic because I always tip good no matter the duration of the trip I’m on. But for those of you who have been on multiple long range trips what’s the best time of year to plan a 8 to 10 day trip?
20% Tip
I can always count on great service from the boats I choose. Rp, shogun, and royal star. There are others that are great as well. Those are just my go to.
Fall September through November is best time for 6-10 days. IMHO
It’s a blast. Have a great time.
Regards
Scott

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Definitely in the Fall. (that is when most of the boats are running those 8-10 day trips, for a reason) I'd say first of Oct thru end of November. Lots of variety with a shot at wahoo......hard to go back to the shorter trips after an 8 day.

Don't leave the Vagabond out of the equation........best "little" long range operation in the fleet......IMHO. (and I've ridden quite a few of the others) it all depends on your prefered level of "creature comfort".

Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Definitely in the Fall. (that is when most of the boats are running those 8-10 day trips, for a reason) I'd say first of Oct thru end of November. Lots of variety with a shot at wahoo......hard to go back to the shorter trips after an 8 day.

Don't leave the Vagabond out of the equation........best "little" long range operation in the fleet......IMHO. (and I've ridden quite a few of the others) it all depends on your prefered level of "creature comfort".
Ya last time I fished the AA Brian was saying October is probably the best month for that variety. I don’t know why I haven’t been on a longer trip. After fishing these local bluefin the last few years I definitely have the gear for it. I think that next year when the new schedule drops I am going to book a spot.

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Ya last time I fished the AA Brian was saying October is probably the best month for that variety. I don’t know why I haven’t been on a longer trip. After fishing these local bluefin the last few years I definitely have the gear for it. I think that next year when the new schedule drops I am going to book a spot.
America angler and vagabond are awesome too. October is a great month for variety. You’ll love it for sure.
Regards
Scottm