PENN

spooled56

Apr 5, 2009
Buena Park,CA
Name
Tim
Boat
17ft. Triumph
I have always been unsure how much to tip deckhands, cooks, guide service, ect.
When I was young and broke, I would often times not tip at all because I didn't have extra money. These days I will usually give between 10% and 25% depending on service.
Some of my criteria for higher % would be if the deckhands were immediately on top of a tangle in order for everyone to get back to fishing, keeping the bait tanks filled with fresh bait instead of my having to ask, advice on what setup has been working the best lately, ect.
The things that would lower the % would be the deckhands flirting with the girls on board while people needed help, bad attitude towards customers, ect.
YOUR THOUGHTS?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Some of my criteria for higher % would be if the deckhands were immediately on top of a tangle in order for everyone to get back to fishing, keeping the bait tanks filled with fresh bait instead of my having to ask, advice on what setup has been working the best lately, ect.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

This IMO, would bestandard service, and deserves a "standard' tip. 10% to 15%.

I will tip the boat 10-25%, and I will also tip a individual deck hand if they are, IMP, busting there ass more then the others...if that deck hand chooses to toss it into the pool of tips, that his call.

I have never been on a boat where I felt that no tip was earned, but i have felt that some crew members benefited from the harder work ethic of the other crew members. This is why i think the Pool/Pot method sucks.

Remeber, TIPS...stand for, "To Insure Prompt Service"...not give me money because i have a low paying job, and "I deserve it".

People forget that doing your basic job duties does not deserve or demand a TIP. Thats what your pay check is for...its up the worker to earn that TIP. JMO

And yes, i know a waiter/waitress gets paid a small hourly fee...but that's the way that industry works...you know going in that your TIPS are your real pay.

Upvote 0

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
When I charter a boat, the captain gets 10% tip based on the charter cost and quite honestly, acts genuinley surprised. I don't know if he throws it into the kitty for the crew or not, nor do I care. The crew gets tips from each individual person. I've seen some of my passengers leave the boat giving the kitty $60.00. It depends on the service though, and we get good service by the crew. They know when we do our charter each year and know we tip well, so maybe that's the real reason behind the service we get. I know chartering is different than an open boat, but a tip is a tip.

I say tip what you can afford to based on the service you are getting.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
A long time ago when I rode these (whatever you wanna call'em boats) people were tipped on their
service, courtesy, politeness, thoroughness, attitude (good or bad depending on the SITCH at that exact moment), and their honesty.

I remember a trip on the (boat shall remain nameless) and they had LIVE SQUID for the 1/2-day trip and made us fish fresh-dead.
I told the 3 deck hands they could go F themselves I was fishin' LIVE, and the rest was up to them.
Next thing we were all fishin' LIVE. :rofl:
They were trying to hold onto it for the time we found the fish.
R U FN kidding me I told them, it's a 1/2-day trip the FN squid will die B4 U use it!!!! Stupid F!

You have your own boat Tim, btw hi, dial it in on your boat . . . .
This mentality of giving 15%+ for lousy service does not fly here.
People get what they earn!

BOTTOM LINE IS, you don't put the effort forth then . . . . . . .
john.jpg

Generally speaking of course . .

Upvote 0