Tips for crew on overnight boats when no tuna?

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I've been on trips where the fishing and conditions just sucked.That's not the crews fault.Several times the crew was not even on deck,the cook is nowhere to be seen at lunch time and nobody cared (crew).I paid my galley tab and left no tip.It wasn't the fishing,it was the lack of any effort on the crews part.I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
If you had to collect cans on the side of the road to make the trip then it is understood you can't afford to tip, but for the rest of us that have some disposable income tip the crew 20%. I used to tip a higher on bad days knowing most would stiff them.

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
I've been on trips where the fishing and conditions just sucked.That's not the crews fault.Several times the crew was not even on deck,the cook is nowhere to be seen at lunch time and nobody cared (crew).I paid my galley tab and left no tip.It wasn't the fishing,it was the lack of any effort on the crews part.I don't feel guilty about it at all.
The crew was present at all times working their tails off. The cap burned a ton of gas rolling up and down looking for biters.. putting up the kite with flyers, etc. I’ve had zero bad experience with any SD LR boats.

Going on sport boat is not the same as ordering a steak at a restaurant.. you go for the experience of fishing, and not for filling up the cooler. There are trips in the winter for those.

Reactions: Capt Devo

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Im a contractor. I bust my ass. Do whatever the customers want. I work hard in 108 temperature. Never got a 5% tip in 25 years. I don't complain. Tips are never mandatory and should never be expected.
THIS.
I have worked for the same organization for forty years, first one in the office last one to leave, have never received a tip in those years, pretty sure I have never gotten a atta boy, a few promotion over the years and there is always competition for that.

Hard to give someone a lavish tip when they did not get the job done, if you want guaranteed money then get a job that does that.
I fish with friends on my boat and share expenses, no one has ever said that was such a great trip they will pick up all the expenses,

jsquez

master backlasher
Jun 8, 2015
Name
jesse
Boat
no
You learn what boats will go above and beyond to make your trip even if you come home with nothing... even on a boat with lazy deckhands bad service there is always 1 guy trying to make everything happen.. in the cases you tip the boat shitty and slide that guy a couple 20s on the side... just think how shitty of job is it the cut and throw bait pull backlashes ect while everyone around you is fishing..

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
would be funny to have all the boat captains post on what percentage of customers tip... most say 15/20/higher

most who say it on here probably dont, just makes people feel good

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
I was always told by my elders that life is about the choices you make. I think that most of the crews working today didnt get in the industry to make money to begin with. As the cost of everything has gone up over the years, the age of the "deckhand" has very much decreased. Do they want to be in the industry? Or are they working a summer job on Uncle Bobs boat? The Guys that want to be in the industry use the "deckhand" position as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Just like Kalani Gonzales... worked on the Dana Pride for years... got his captains license last year, and now he works on the Independence! Id say thats an upgrade! Congrats Brother...

If the industry only wants to pay minimum wage to these kids... then thats their choice... and the choice of the prospects to accept the pay or not. I doubt that deckhands are taking jobs for minimum wage in hopes that they can impress the passengers enough that they just want to throw money at them at the end of a trip. Ive only ridden 3 - 4 different boats over the past few years. I like to keep a fresh relationship with the crews... I know them... and they know me. Works out better that way. Sometimes I tip heavy... sometimes I dont tip... thats my choice given the day. I dont feel the burden of having to supplement someones income because their industry does not completely support them in making a living wage. I tip as a Bonus... not because I feel compelled to by peer pressure... LOL

Reactions: stinkfinger1

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
If the crew did everything in their power to make sure your trip was good (Food was good, crew was attentive and polite, shitters were clean) then leave them a 15-20% tip. If the boat is consistently catching fish then guess what, they probably don’t have a problem putting in effort and didn’t just decide to not try on your trip. If you had a fishing day of a lifetime and the crew sucked then don’t tip. Fishing and weather are the biggest factors In determining if you have a good trip and they are the two things that the crew has zero control over. Don’t be a cheap fuck, if you can afford to go fishing then you can afford to leave a tip.

bdogie1

Well-Known "Member"
May 27, 2015
Name
Brandon
Boat
getsome
It called f****n fishing skunks are part of the game and yes when fish aren't caught regardless of the reason lazy captain fish not biting tips are hard to give up. The boats are making plenty of money so fuck it deal with it! Do the math 9k for 1 day or 1.5 day x 20 or 30 days the boat or the crew are not hurting for cash. I was on a ride on Saturday on a boat I wont name and we didn't get any tuna we ran to SCI last minute and didn't get much, and the shitty crew could care less every time the captain asked for chum it would take 5 minutes for the stupid deckhand to get the chum going. It was a joke the crew was a joke and that boat is a joke it used to have a great name for it self for the last 50 years. I tipped the galley cook cause she the only one who busted her ass to feed us !

Last edited:

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
THIS.
I have worked for the same organization for forty years, first one in the office last one to leave, have never received a tip in those years, pretty sure I have never gotten a atta boy, a few promotion over the years and there is always competition for that.

Hard to give someone a lavish tip when they did not get the job done, if you want guaranteed money then get a job that does that.
I fish with friends on my boat and share expenses, no one has ever said that was such a great trip they will pick up all the expenses,
Damn 40 years and they don't even give you a holiday bonus?

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
Maybe the people who employ the crew should pay them a livable wage. And pass that added cost on to the customer if necessary. Just a thought. I won't ever fish on a party boat, have once or twice and not my thing. I do feel for people in the service industry, tough way to make a living.
Problem is the boats are all gonna fill when fishing is good regardless of how people remember the crew they will just deal with it, if you put the crews tip permanantly into the price of the ticket then there is no incentive for the crew to be extra polite or go out of their way to go the extra mile. And unlike other industries like food workers who get paid after they complete the work the party boats are taken care of before you even board so if you dont like the service you dont have any backbone to stand on, your money is already in their pocket. I like tipping at the end.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
Damn 40 years and they don't even give you a holiday bonus?
Like I said a few promotions over the years........and those are always competitive, nothing is given, everything must be earned.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
So the OP did tip them right? Just the Captain was trying to hit him up for a fatter tip? Captain could look at it 2 ways, say thanks and look at it as a reflection of the service or he was looking out for his crew knowing they weren't getting the coin for fish cleaning. So OP dropped 9K for everything should he tip $1800?

Reactions: plj46 and marlyn

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
Like I said a few promotions over the years........and those are always competitive, nothing is given, everything must be earned.
I'm not talking promotions. Deckhands get promoted to 2nd tickets. I'm talking bonuses aka money on top of what you signed up to receive for doing a good job.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
I'm not talking promotions. Deckhands get promoted to 2nd tickets. I'm talking bonuses aka money on top of what you signed up to receive for doing a good job.
I agreed to do a job for a agreed salary, I did the job they paid me, what more is there, I did not send out surveys asking clients if I did a good job, the organization continued to pay me and promoted me a few times, those are the values I grew up with and took into the workplace with me, money is not the measure of everything,
The OP chartered a boat for $9,000 keeping the deck hand employed for that day, they failed to produce the goods and are now looking for a lavish handout.

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
If I wasn't OK with that, I would tell my kid to get a better job (better, not just based on pay, but everything), if he/she could find a better job, I would encourage him/her to be happy to have the job they have. If he/she could find a better job, then he/she should take it, regardless of whether I am OK with someone's tipping.
Not exactly the point, as let's say 75% of their tables tip 15-20%, would it really be worth finding a "better" job? Just based on a few bad tippers? I think not. The X factor with tips and service is there is things out of people's control. Non biting fish, a slow kitchen sending food out slowly, a busy bar not supplying drinks, bad bait at the bait barge.

The people in life that have worked for tip at some point get it. Most others do not as they haven;t walked a mile in those shoes.

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
No one works the "4 Month's" out of the entire year SD Fleet fishing season to make serious $$ that ship sailed way back when the fishing was good all year long. You could always move some where’s that has Year Round Fishing like Florida as Shimano did or Baja if you plan to make a Real Living.

Last edited:

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
I agreed to do a job for a agreed salary, I did the job they paid me, what more is there, I did not send out surveys asking clients if I did a good job, the organization continued to pay me and promoted me a few times, those are the values I grew up with and took into the workplace with me, money is not the measure of everything,
The OP chartered a boat for $9,000 keeping the deck hand employed for that day, they failed to produce the goods and are now looking for a lavish handout.
Well i was a commercial fisherman for many years and would employ a deckhand and he would useually get 20% of the catch , some weeks he would make enough to buy a new car and other weeks he was lucky enough to make gas money for the car he had , Ive tryed five different trips on overnite sportboats in the past few years and out of those five trips havent come back with one fish ! But i did find a lot of rude captains and deckhands on those boats , never saw a reason to tip someone i just gave a couplehundred bucks to for a fishing trip , well got my own boat again now so dont have to worrie about it . Those cheap ass owners of the sport boat fleet should pay their deckhands a decent wage out of all the money they charge people for fishing on their boats and forget about this tip shit

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Not exactly the point, as let's say 75% of their tables tip 15-20%, would it really be worth finding a "better" job? Just based on a few bad tippers? I think not. The X factor with tips and service is there is things out of people's control. Non biting fish, a slow kitchen sending food out slowly, a busy bar not supplying drinks, bad bait at the bait barge.

The people in life that have worked for tip at some point get it. Most others do not as they haven;t walked a mile in those shoes.
If enough of the customers are tipping enough that, even though some are not, its still the best job, then my message to my kid would be "in business you gotta take the bitter with the sweet." In my business, probably 75% of the years I make money, but in plenty of years, I lose money. Still the best job I can get, but if I could get a better one (based on everything, not just compensation), I would certainly take it.

DAS

Dec 23, 2017
San Diego
Name
DAS
Boat
El Segador
You learn what boats will go above and beyond to make your trip even if you come home with nothing... even on a boat with lazy deckhands bad service there is always 1 guy trying to make everything happen.. in the cases you tip the boat shitty and slide that guy a couple 20s on the side... just think how shitty of job is it the cut and throw bait pull backlashes ect while everyone around you is fishing..
aahh. kinda of your job

PaDDy Killer'

May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Tipping for me has nothing to do with the fish caught or not caught. Like so many here have said it ALL comes down to service. If the crew is doing all they can do locate fish and just make the time out as pleasurable as possible the tip will reflect the service.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Fishing is totally different than a restaurant. In fishing they are on a hunt and not sure what’s going to happen. At the restaurant they have the food already in the fridge. It’s called fishing for a reason. Not catching.

Reactions: pacificscout

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Fishing is totally different than a restaurant. In fishing they are on a hunt and tour not sure what’s going to happen. At the restaurant they have the food already in the fridge.
Yeah but the difference is at a restaurant I haven’t paid for my meal on a boat already paid for my ticket :D