Tips for crew on overnight boats when no tuna?

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
The few ruin it for the many. You may not do it, but over the years I have been on a trip or two that have. 1 or 2 out of probably 100. Unfortunately those are the ones that get remembered by most people. As long as the crew busts their ass I am tipping no matter what is caught.
Thanks for that. And yes, they sure do.

oniedab

Fishing is there anything else?
Jul 17, 2009
visalia/ca/Tulare
Name
mike hagans
Boat
28ft Grady White Sailfish
First thing I think it was a great question. Here is what you need to ask yourself, is a tip for the service you received or for the fish you catch? If the crew did their job on all of the things they could control, then tip them as if you caught fish. If the fleet caught fish and they jack off all day. Then snub them. I fished 3 day last week and got 5 Tuna's and 1 yellowtail. 5 Tuna's 1 day and 1 Yellowtail the other 2 days. I can not remember when it dried up as bad as it has the last 5 days.

jayyyy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
If the crew works hard I will tip no matter what I catch. In the OP's case If the crew gave him a lot of attitude about a small tip they don't deserve a large one. Aside from the base pay a crew members pay will fluctuate slightly from trip to trip, better operations average more annually in side money.

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Just go to Japan. No tipping countrywide. Not for restaurants, not for taxis, not for anything, including fishing trips. In fact, the captain let me stay at his house the night before the trip. It’s just different (in a much better way) out there.

BBLDarkStar

I'll fish next to you while you get bit
Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Pamela E.
you honestly think i give a fuck what you think? Different folks different strokes... glad we live in America and i can do whatever i want.
11 out of 10 Americans agree that you are, indeed, a wanker as stated before. Your reaction just proves it.

So what you're saying is that you tip based on luck and it has nothing to do with whether or not the crew hustles.

BBLDarkStar

I'll fish next to you while you get bit
Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Pamela E.
I'm sorry that your charter group had a tough trip. It must have been very frustrating to that captain, too. But I don't think that he should have said ANYTHING to you. An honorable captain takes care of his crew, always. And then maybe he handles your future charter request differently.
Agreed. That's pretty unprofessional of a captain to make any remark about a tip. Freedom goes both ways. If a captain is unhappy with a charter or chartermaster, he has the option to not book them in the future. The opposite applies also.

Charters can be tricky when it comes to tipping. The chartermaster needs to make it very clear whether there is any tip included in the price of the trip if it's a pay your own way trip. He also needs to state what the percentage of the tip is that is included. That way all the passengers are able to tip on top of that amount accordingly.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Any crew or captain that whines about tips on the low side for a skunk needs to find a different job..and yeah I've been there and done that on both sides of this thread...
When we had truely shitty fishing my tip was getting to catch up on sleep instead of cutting fish..always looked at anything we got on bad days as charity.
Now as a passenger I try to tip something on bad days to make up for those that tip nothing but that being said there are some truely entitled crew that think the tips are mandatory...they wouldnt have enjoyed the 20 bucks we averaged back when we got 25 for a full day trip.

luckyjohn

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 1, 2015
Name
john r westersten
Boat
Get Reel Pursuit 3000
Tip is based on service. 50$ minimum on all day or overnight for me. 1 dollar minimum for a beer at a bar, and a 10 dollar minimum for a waitress, if 20% doesn't get there.

i do it because i can and working for the general public can suck, be a overnight deckhand for a week and see how it goes.

i also have no problem with people who don't tip. its america and the price of freedom

Reactions: JK47

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
At the end of that 12 hours those 6 people tip your daughter or son $50.00 Would you be ok with that?
If I wasn't OK with that, I would tell my kid to get a better job (better, not just based on pay, but everything), if he/she could find a better job, I would encourage him/her to be happy to have the job they have. If he/she could find a better job, then he/she should take it, regardless of whether I am OK with someone's tipping.

Reactions: Witty1 and blowncar

Hunter gatherer

Fir Na Tine
Jul 25, 2015
Northern California
Name
Jeff
Boat
Grady White Seafarer 228G
I didn't know there was a minimum. Why would you give a jerk anything? I wouldn't, but then I don't routinely give more than 20% either.
15% is my minimum. I should have posted that in my original post. The thing that makes this country great is you are free to give (or not give) whatever amount you wish.

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
On my 3-day 7/23-26, we experienced the same lockjaw others experienced this past week. We boated 6 BFT and 3 YFT, 57 YT, and 1 dodo. If it wasn’t for the 1 paddy stop, you can subtract 54 YT from that count. It was slow.

I was one of the many that didn’t get a tuna, but tipped them a little over 20%. Not telling anyone what they should do, just responding to the op.

I get it, times are tough. If you can do it, tip them. The crew was awesome, food was terrific, and I had the pleasure of meeting a group of great guys on that trip. Sure made picking up a couple of YT on a 3 day a wonderful trip.

Norcalfish80

Aug 24, 2011
California
Name
Austin
Boat
Boston Whaler Montauk
Maybe the people who employ the crew should pay them a livable wage. And pass that added cost on to the customer if necessary. Just a thought. I won't ever fish on a party boat, have once or twice and not my thing. I do feel for people in the service industry, tough way to make a living.

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
Maybe the people who employ the crew should pay them a livable wage. And pass that added cost on to the customer if necessary. Just a thought. I won't ever fish on a party boat, have once or twice and not my thing. I do feel for people in the service industry, tough way to make a living.
Good point here. With the current pandemic however, right now it's impossible to change this business model. People that work in the service industry are the hardest working people who are passionate about their jobs.. servicing others. Cleaning the head, flipping sardines, untangling lines, fighting a 130+ BFT for a customer who brought and old Senator 6/0 that ended up winning the JP.. all on very limited rest. Man, I couldn't do that. All that with an ear to ear smile.

Reactions: Capt Devo

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
as a Client/Customer I always based how generous my tip on how I feel I am being treated, be it on a restaurant or Cattle boats...as they say its a Service Industry...make customer happy equals more tips to the crew with or without fish...🎣

Reactions: Hunter gatherer

ZX6ROCKET

May 22, 2012
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
T-Bear
Boat
Hahaha
Could you imagine going to a restaurant, placing your order, never getting said order and the server still expecting a tip? I understand they can’t guarantee fish but I can’t guarantee much of a tip when that happen either. Especially when I save for months just to get on the damn boat and afford terminal tackle.

I think the problem is it’s EXPECTED 100% of the time now and if not you get nasty sneers and they will remember your face. I guess that’s one up side to the covid masks 😂

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Thanks for the feedback, I tip well in general and not my 1st trip or 1st charter. Just never got a weird request like that before, to go back and hit my guests up for extra cash is strange. I mean the boat did kill it with a 1000 dollar beer tab and made money on tackle. I mean I just bought a bunch of #2 circle hooks so I shouldn't be gouged for that and for torpedos. I'm all for making money and by math the boat made a nice bit, but guess they don't kick back to the crew off of that. So I figure for my next charter to recommend about 40 bucks each and then just cover the rest based on how hard the crew works. The boat and crew were fine, and i have been on long boat rides before. Just sucks to get hit up like that when you drop 9k for nothing.
So you spent 2500 on beer. If you were in a bar or club and spent 2500 dollars how much would you tip the hostess? Take is just the beer tab. How many people on the boat? there is a ton factors to include I am the one that believes that f you can afford a 9k dollar trip you can afford the tip. remember these guys and gals make most of their income from tips and fish cleaning. Myself when I go on a trip I figure the tip and fish cleaning ahead of time. If I catch fish and have them cleaned pay for that and then the rest as a tip. If I catch nothing but they were trying and helpful I just give them the tip and fishing cleaning money as a bonus. Remember an extra 50 or so to you probably is not a deal breaker but an extra 50 can mean diapers, formula for his kids or food on the table. Think of the big picture and pay it forward