Tips for crew on overnight boats when no tuna?

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Insufficient information...did the captain take you out for a boat ride or was the captain trying hard to find fish for you, did the captain know what he was doing with plans, were the crew hospitable or were they into their own thing? That's a big beer bill, was your party a hardcore fishing group or a party group? Captain's can be motivated according to the behavior of the guests. What did you tip?
You bring up Motivation I would add most of the Highliners are concerned more about the Hunt and Kill to be bothered with what there Tip might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: stangclassic66

al b sure

al b sure
May 12, 2004
santee
Name
al balsley
Boat
18 foot Dyanasty, 115 Johnson Outboard
Thanks for the feedback, I tip well in general and not my 1st trip or 1st charter. Just never got a weird request like that before, to go back and hit my guests up for extra cash is strange. I mean the boat did kill it with a 1000 dollar beer tab and made money on tackle. I mean I just bought a bunch of #2 circle hooks so I shouldnt be gouged for that and for torpedos. I'm all for making money and by math the boat made a nice bit, but guess they dont kick back to the crew off of that. So I figure for my next charter to recommend about 40 bucks each and then just cover the rest based on how hard the crew works. The boat and crew were fine, and i have been on long boat rides before. Just sucks to get hit up like that when you drop 9k for nothing.

Reactions: hard dogg

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
the crew busting their ass should get and maintain the respect of all passengers. The crew not showing a bad attitude will, in return, should get some pretty respectful passengers.

we can go on and fuckin on on this stupid ass subject. If you’re part of the group and not happy with what the group is tipping, whip out a few benjies of your own. Simple as that. A tip is exactly that unless it’s stated that the tip is expected to be a certain amount and if we don’t get this tip we won’t be heading into port or some shit... not everyone grows benjies on trees like some of you uppity ass folks
U are one angry dude...

Reactions: stangclassic66

NTCoast

Mar 18, 2020
CA
Name
T
Boat
Jetcraft
Ugh. I wish boats would just charge 7500 or whatever is needed for the charter and be done with it and pay the crew. Tackle charges, overpriced beer tabs and tip shaming just makes the experience worse and feel cheap.

As a kid I used to take tourists out on the lake to catch a fish or two. Big catches made for big tips, catch a skunk and I wasn't going to the movies that week. Right or wrong, to pretend the people working these boats don't understand this is delusional.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I'm sorry that your charter group had a tough trip. It must have been very frustrating to that captain, too. But I don't think that he should have said ANYTHING to you. An honorable captain takes care of his crew, always. And then maybe he handles your future charter request differently.

caballo del mar

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Fishing slowed down last week, even the best skippers couldn’t shit a fish. A couple of skippers went to Cortez Bank and scored some yellows. If they tried, give them their deserved money. Fishing is picking up by the way. A much more pleasurable experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Devo

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
You’re embarrassed that my minimal is 10-15%? I really could care less. These guys tipped what they did for shitty fishing. They got a reaction they weren’t expecting. Who the fuck cares what reaction they got.
The crew should be used to skunk days where tips are minimal.
If there were hookers onboard giving consolation BJs then the tips would have been a little better but a skunk trip is what it is.... less than pleasurable.

fuck cattle boat fishing. Get your own boat and learn to find the fish yourself. Your tip is the gratification you get when you find them and load your own boat
Telling people to take money out of hard working people's hands for something that is out of their control because you didn't catch fish is embarrassing. Pretty straight forward and telling that you haven't spent much time on the water.

Maybe you've been fortunate enough to never have a job where you work for tips before, or never been cash strapped enough that you can't afford your own boat, I don't know but lots of people that have had to make ends meet with just tips or wouldn't be able to fish without sport boats.

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
the crew busting their ass should get and maintain the respect of all passengers. The crew not showing a bad attitude will, in return, should get some pretty respectful passengers.

we can go on and fuckin on on this stupid ass subject. If you’re part of the group and not happy with what the group is tipping, whip out a few benjies of your own. Simple as that. A tip is exactly that unless it’s stated that the tip is expected to be a certain amount and if we don’t get this tip we won’t be heading into port or some shit... not everyone grows benjies on trees like some of you uppity ass folks
WOW You need to Loosen your Drag....... Children surf here you Ho Dad.....Who put you on the tank and what are you chumming for anyways? The Guy just want's some Information on tipping not a rectal exam by some loud mouth Stern Hog. It's 20% by the way. Chill.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Now this is my opinion and you asked for opinions. I’m a 100 ton skipper. No longer do party trips. Own private. You went on a fishing trip. Not a catching trip! It you look counts are at season low. Not their fault! As long as they made for a good “Fishing” trip and attentive to needs and gave good to excellent service. Due to limited opportunities I’m suggesting $1000 if twenty guys that’s $50 a person. Ten hours $5 a hour? More than fair. This is how crew get paid. The other is min. Wage.

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Ugh. I wish boats would just charge 7500 or whatever is needed for the charter and be done with it and pay the crew. Tackle charges, overpriced beer tabs and tip shaming just makes the experience worse and feel cheap.

As a kid I used to take tourists out on the lake to catch a fish or two. Big catches made for big tips, catch a skunk and I wasn't going to the movies that week. Right or wrong, to pretend the people working these boats don't understand this is delusional.
Yes you got.....everyone remember "no one works the Meager 4 Month a Year" So Cal Charter Boat Business to get rich......they are in it for the Hunt ! Florida or Hawaii $$

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Thanks for the feedback, I tip well in general and not my 1st trip or 1st charter. Just never got a weird request like that before, to go back and hit my guests up for extra cash is strange. I mean the boat did kill it with a 1000 dollar beer tab and made money on tackle. I mean I just bought a bunch of #2 circle hooks so I shouldnt be gouged for that and for torpedos. I'm all for making money and by math the boat made a nice bit, but guess they dont kick back to the crew off of that. So I figure for my next charter to recommend about 40 bucks each and then just cover the rest based on how hard the crew works. The boat and crew were fine, and i have been on long boat rides before. Just sucks to get hit up like that when you drop 9k for nothing.
So after you tipped, someone that worked on the boat asked for more money? As a rule after 15 years in the biz we don't do that. We take what we get, and are thankful for it, to some extent. Most of us boat guys work for minimum wage, so our side is 1/2 our income. I have in the past reminded passengers 15-20% of the charter cost is industry standard but it's all up to them. We also have that on a FAQ sheet on the boat that mentions that.

Think of it this way, not you directly just in general. You have a child that works in a restaurant and waits on a table of 6 for 12 hours or more, basically busting his or her ass to try to make the table happy. At the end of that 12 hours those 6 people tip your daughter or son $50.00 Would you be ok with that?

trunk777

Jul 24, 2006
yorba linda
Name
mike
Boat
yours
pier fishing is free

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rocket Dog

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
So after you tipped, someone that worked on the boat asked for more money? As a rule after 15 years in the biz we don't do that. We take what we get, and are thankful for it, to some extent. Most of us boat guys work for minimum wage, so our side is 1/2 our income. I have in the past reminded passengers 15-20% of the charter cost is industry standard but it's all up to them. We also have that on a FAQ sheet on the boat that mentions that.

Think of it this way, not you directly just in general. You have a child that works in a restaurant and waits on a table of 6 for 12 hours or more, basically busting his or her ass to try to make the table happy. At the end of that 12 hours those 6 people tip your daughter or son $50.00 Would you be ok with that?
The few ruin it for the many. You may not do it, but over the years I have been on a trip or two that have. 1 or 2 out of probably 100. Unfortunately those are the ones that get remembered by most people. As long as the crew busts their ass I am tipping no matter what is caught.

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Im a contractor. I bust my ass. Do whatever the customers want. I work hard in 108 temperature. Never got a 5% tip in 25 years. I don't complain. Tips are never mandatory and should never be expected.
Damn man, $12 a hour for you must be hard to live. I can't imagine doing that.

What do you charge an hour?

Bahia

May 26, 2020
Huntington beach
Name
Jason Drotter
Boat
Ranger Bahia

generally when I run a company charter I work off of 20% There are many variables
1. Hard work
2. Friendliness
3. Boat appearance
4. Good/bad food
etc etc
and of course how good the fishing was. In your case given that you left Friday night fishing sat I would have been upset as well. Reports have been pretty clear. Fishing has took a turn for the worst. You guys should have been fishing the front side of Clemente or been given the option to go to Cortez. Sounds like you weren't at either of those areas.

Reactions: BBLDarkStar