Tipping on an overnight boat.

cm2020

Jun 15, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi I am getting ready to go out on an overnight boat and need to know what the normal tip is these days. 10-20% of the cost or a flat fee like $50 or $75 per day. I haven't been on an open party boat in the last 15 years. All the boats I have been on since then the charter master set the tip amount so everyone would know up front. Let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

Reactions: woodfish330

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Everytime a deckhand touches something equals $5 each time. So if you need knots, drag set, gaff, fileted, etc. Add em up and that's what you tip.

Project-Mayhem
    Project-Mayhem
    No doubt. If the deck hand needs to tie your knots you need to tip excessively. Also turn your man card in.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Personally... I tip as a "whole".... meaning crew and Skipper. BUT..... and its a big one..... if ANY crew member or the Skipper ....steps up.... and has to help me considerably more than the others.... I will "side" tip them individually... away from the others.....AS WELL AS the usual "boat tip". My way of saying thanks for going waaaay above the usual call of duty. Normal trip....normal tip. Extraordinary trip.... Extraordinary tip. Follow your common sense... and your heart.... you'll do the right thing. Good luck on your trip.

Reactions: pascuale
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    1625177966008.png

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    The search feature is your friend.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Hi I am getting ready to go out on an overnight boat and need to know what the normal tip is these days. 10-20% of the cost or a flat fee like $50 or $75 per day. I haven't been on an open party boat in the last 15 years. All the boats I have been on since then the charter master set the tip amount so everyone would know up front. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Dan
    beating A dead Horse .

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    20 percent of the ticket price IMO. Just got home this morning from a 1.5 cost was $435 for the trip, then 20% for the crew, add in fish cleaning, gas to and from along with line and this trip is more like $700 all said and done. FYI my bonito were bigger than my BFT. Not upset AT ALL, fishing is fishing, just want to pass on the information. Have a great trip regardless as conditions were fantastic the last few days.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    ....another tip thread.... So my kid and I did the Excel 3 day Father's Day and with the help of the crew and others - we simply nailed it first time for Tuna, great crew and Masters. We had some decent maritime swag for a few of them to give out and we left 225 each for a pp 1,090 trip. Basically 20%. I got no frown, no ask, no pressure prior to that. True professionals in every aspect.

Beer tab and such was very reasonable and I owe a few fishing guys some beers and line for helping us as well - see you next year! Time to settle was for tackle and beer tab, no pressure, no ask on tip - 20% was well deserved and fair and I put it forward immediately.

Technically I do owe the boat a dollar - LOL - as the bill for tackle came to x$1 plus a few beers that evening so probably 5 bucks. I'll toss it back when I settle up for the next trip. Really these guys were first class.

Since first time out of San Diego, and first time long range, another angler we respect very much just laid it out plain and simple 20%. Worth every penny. GO EXCEL!

I'm sure other boats are the same, similar, whatever - but pay your tab, 20% and really that's the ticket.

Upvote 0

ahidog

10000 atta boys
  • Sep 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    Nothing they get paid enough already tip the bloody deck moderators they get paid nothing

The Fishing Cholo

Almost A Member
    Feb 24, 2019
    East Los Angeles
    Name
    The Fishing Cholo
    Boat
    14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"

Thanks,
    Dan
    Whatever you can afford.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat