Tipping On A Long Range Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by apogee, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    First.... you asked our perspective. Personally, I do not care about what you do.

I write a check to the Red Rooster. It includes my beer, tackle and tip. As far as being new guy it has always been my observations that the Rooster crew will give the best service possible. This is not a "click" operation. One trip and you will be hooked.

I have always considered a tip to be a personal issue.

RichG and Workplacesafety like this.
  2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Somehow I don't think the Rooster Crew think my checks are a "hassle" They have been cashing them since 1983. How the hell would you know anyway Apogee? Didn't you say this is your first LR trip? If your concerned about pandering by the crew you should probably take up golf.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Now this makes sense all the around. Wildcard person who will talk it up after the fact, or curmudgeon. Good business sense, and a natural willingness to help should rule the day unless jaded.

4. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    I can see that view and it is a healthy view. Others on this thread (not you) it have espoused in so many words, that the crew "remembers" who tipped well on previous trips and gives them better service......'

That is correct I do not know shit from shinola about the inner sanctum of the long range fishing trip or it's protocols. I never played golf either, and have zero plans on that activity.....I am presently working on tolerance......I work with aggressive people five days a week, wreaking of work place safety...........

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  5. Illkeepfishing

Illkeepfishing Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast

Name:
    Charles
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    20%. The entire crew of the RP works really hard the whole trip. That includes whoever happens to be driving the boat. It blew my mind the first time I saw Frank LoPreste serving dinner and collecting plates when we were done eating. The crew goes above and beyond in my opinion. I tip waitresses in restaurants who do little more than take my order and bring my food to the table. So I have no problem tipping the crew 20%. They earn it.

norcaltunaclub and 500BBC like this.
  6. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Always tip 30-50 %,and if you win the jackpot give it all to the crew.

7. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Frank LoPreste is like the "Godfather' of this long range experiences IMHO. When he is gone anybody that got a chance to be on a vessel that he was on during one of these adventures really has experienced the best it has to offer..........Ap

8. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    I was thinking more like 50-75% and letting them have sex with my sister....Ap

9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Maybe, but the much younger Frank reminds me of Darth Vader. But like ten people have ten different opinions....

$norkle, CHUBACA6 and Fishybuzz like this.
  10. apogee

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Nooooooooooo.....He's not your father Bill !?

11. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    Tipping is something that is personal choice. I always have and will continue to and I I'm not rich.

Frank is a business man and a smart one. Find me one that makes decisions that make everyone happy. Does that mean he's a Saint by no means. I do know Frank played rugby in college and continues to support the program and the kids financially one of whom is mine. Like a lot of folks including most on this site he's a hard ass but has a human side most don't see.

Go Gaels!!

apogee likes this.
  12. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Yep I agree....everyone has a different opinion....some good some not so good.

freegaff2 and finishright like this.
  13. finishright

finishright Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike Morris
    Boat:
    prowler kayak
    well said David some get it some don't

freegaff2 and RichG like this.
  14. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Don't eat yellow snow!

Now there's a tip for ya.

15. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    The guys I learned the most from like frank some considered the least friendly guys around..my goal however was fishing and not charm school so being around those guys and taking what I consider friendly abuse which turned to actual friendship was more than worth it..
    If those guys ever stopped giving you shit it was time to pack your bags..

Yellowtail Dan likes this.
  16. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I was really going to stay out of this discussion. I avoided reading it for days, just because on this topic so many emotions get twigged and tweaked, and so little gets said that really helps anyone. Out of the blue, though, this statement pushed my button. It has nothing to do with how much you tip, or how you arrive at that amount. I'll be happy to describe my own situation and how I go about tipping, as well as my experience with crews and captains, etc, if anyone is actually interested in that. But I have to take issue with the "inner sanctum" statement.

The implication is clear that we who fish long range consider ourselves to be in an exclusive club, that we think we are somehow better than other anglers, more knowledgeable (there is specialized knowledge that goes with every kind of fishing; long range is no different), more generous, more courteous, etc. Most of all, that in our attitudes we discriminate against outsiders and form opinions about who is "worthy," and who should be welcomed into the "inner sanctum."

I can't speak for anyone else, nor would I wish to, but I have never once considered myself to be better than any other angler, on or off the boat. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have fallen (more or less by accident) into long range fishing. It is an experience beyond any other kind of fishing; to my mind the ultimate angling experience.

Most of all, as far as I'm concerned, all are welcome. You pays your money and you comes fishing. Long as you do your best not to ruin anyone else' experience, you have already entered the "inner sanctum."

That's the secret, though it's really no secret at all. Out on the water, the beautiful Pacific Ocean, with (by and large) really nice people, on an amazing boat, superior food, and far and away the best captains and crew, with a chance to catch a fish of a lifetime...or more than one!

The difference, Apogee, between you and "the club" is that we have had that experience, and you haven't...yet. But guess what? I, at least, can't wait for you to join us!

No, we're not better, we are just luckier because, for whatever reason, we chose to come and see what the fuss was all about...and it blew our minds. Our club is the largest ocean on Earth, and the "Membership Committee" offers a standing invitation to anyone who truly loves fishing. As we Southerners sometimes say, "C'mon y'all!"

(Rodless steps carefully off his battered and disreputable soap box)

17. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Oh, and as regards "specialized knowledge," Apogee, in all my years of fishing, from Bluegill in the pond behind my house in Tampa, FL, to every other kind of sportfishing, fresh or salt water, from Cebu in the Philippines to the Big Island of Hawai'i, to California, Texas, and all over Mexico, I have never in my life found a group of people more willing, even ecstatic to share what they know than long range anglers. In many ways, that camaraderie defines us more than anything else.

When it comes to tipping, I can only say, let conscience be your guide. The people who work on the boats do so with the understanding that they work in a service-oriented business, and that they will receive tips as the lion's share of their compensation. Right or wrong, that is just an established part of the business, just as with waiters and bartenders. It may be that on some of the best boats, the crew actually make a decent living (mostly) on the tips they receive...but this is their living. There are bartenders and servers who, if they work in the right place and do a superior job, can make a pretty decent living too. Just as with crew on a long range boat, those are the ones at the very top of their profession.

Only you can decide how much their over-and-above service has been worth to you. Just remember, even if from your perspective, you don't see how a fishing trip can be like dinner at a nice restaurant, that is exactly how everyone else sees it. Beyond that, you decide.

I am willing to wager that once you have been there and seen how these guys work, you will better understand what "service" means on board a sportfishing boat.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Funny, my wife, a few years ago, suggested that since I love fishing so much, had I considered working on one of the boats. I'm like, those guys work really hard, long hours. So, she says, how about working in the "kitchen" and I replied, "Are you fucking crazy or what? Those guys work harder than anybody!"

NaplesJohn, 500BBC, Olddog8 and 6 others like this.
  19. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    They sure as hell get up early, and stay up late. Hard ass work, and hit the deck too when needed.

Bill W and RichG like this.
  20. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    My long trip, 14 days on the Angler in January, 18 anglers, 7 crew, 3 meals a day, over 1,000 plates of food! Snacks twice a day, most bitchen Sushi and Sashimi spreads you can imagine! Yeah.

bob1825 and Rodless_Jim like this.