walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
I have been told that the skipper always hands out the tip money and gives a full accounting of how much and where from. the crew know who butters their bread and they had e very long memories and I am sure they discuss who the passengers are in advance of the trip
Most of the trips I have been on, the cash just gets dropped in the jar without counting. So, they don't really know who gives how much. I tend to tip well, so I give them a check so they know what I gave.
That being said, I think these guys are such professionals that everyone, regardless of their tipping status, is treated very well.

Reactions: RichG
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I make a living for my family but I don't get to fish everyday

And there is the point of the matter. If your job requires you to produce to earn pay to feed your family, that means you are worth paying by your employer. If your job relies on tips to feed your family you gotta be at your best. The team is chosen with the best skills in the business.

The only crew members I have seen fishing is Jorge and Mike, and one time Tom who caught his personal best 180#.

Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    I make a living for my family but I don't get to fish everyday

And beyond trying to make a living for their family - how often do you think the crew gets to see theirs on the constant turn-around trips.

Side note - I miss Jorge - he was the absolute best... and the wahoo chowder was nothing short of amazing.

Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    And beyond trying to make a living for their family - how often do you think the crew gets to see theirs on the constant turn-around trips.

Side note - I miss Jorge - he was the absolute best... and the wahoo chowder was nothing short of amazing.
    I apologize if my original reply was rude in anyway, I wasn't trying to be. I know these guys work there asses off and I always tip nicely. I was just curious what a typical salary of a good deckhand was. Didn't mean to come off as ignorant if that's how it was portrayed

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    have the crew looking out for you/ tip in advance of your next trip/ they willl remember/ it always ensure your future service

Now we are talking about bribes and payoffs.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Most of the trips I have been on, the cash just gets dropped in the jar without counting. So, they don't really know who gives how much. I tend to tip well, so I give them a check so they know what I gave.
    That being said, I think these guys are such professionals that everyone, regardless of their tipping status, is treated very well.
    Credit where credit is due. A check is a hassle for the crew. Who do you make the check out to, the boat? Then it has to be cashed which kills the instant gratification. But if the crew keeps tabs so they can pander to the 'big tippers' of past trips and give them 'special treatment as compared to the new guy that has no track record, as was indicated in this thread, a check will put a name on the tip for certain....

I write out a check for my tips...so does my brother Louis
    I repeat: Credit where credit is due........

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Now we are talking about bribes and payoffs.
    This has been broached in this thread in a more subtle manner on several occasions..

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    First.... you asked our perspective. Personally, I do not care about what you do.

I write a check to the Red Rooster. It includes my beer, tackle and tip. As far as being new guy it has always been my observations that the Rooster crew will give the best service possible. This is not a "click" operation. One trip and you will be hooked.

I have always considered a tip to be a personal issue.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
    Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Somehow I don't think the Rooster Crew think my checks are a "hassle" They have been cashing them since 1983. How the hell would you know anyway Apogee? Didn't you say this is your first LR trip? If your concerned about pandering by the crew you should probably take up golf.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    I found that the crews go out of their way to help you if it is your first time on a long range boat. At least that's how Roy and the guys on the RP were with me my first time.
    Now this makes sense all the around. Wildcard person who will talk it up after the fact, or curmudgeon. Good business sense, and a natural willingness to help should rule the day unless jaded.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    First.... you asked our perspective. Personally, I do not care about what you do.
    I write a check to the Red Rooster. It includes my beer, tackle and tip. As far as being new guy it has always been my observations that the Rooster crew will give the best service possible. This is not a "click" operation. One trip and you will be hooked.
    I have always considered a tip to be a personal issue.

I can see that view and it is a healthy view. Others on this thread (not you) it have espoused in so many words, that the crew "remembers" who tipped well on previous trips and gives them better service......'

Somehow I don't think the Rooster Crew think my checks are a "hassle" They have been cashing them since 1983. How the hell would you know anyway Apogee? Didn't you say this is your first LR trip? If your concerned about pandering by the crew you should probably take up golf.

That is correct I do not know shit from shinola about the inner sanctum of the long range fishing trip or it's protocols. I never played golf either, and have zero plans on that activity.....I am presently working on tolerance......I work with aggressive people five days a week, wreaking of work place safety...........

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Illkeepfishing

Long Range Sportfishing Enthusiast
    Oct 27, 2011
    New York, New York
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    20%. The entire crew of the RP works really hard the whole trip. That includes whoever happens to be driving the boat. It blew my mind the first time I saw Frank LoPreste serving dinner and collecting plates when we were done eating. The crew goes above and beyond in my opinion. I tip waitresses in restaurants who do little more than take my order and bring my food to the table. So I have no problem tipping the crew 20%. They earn it.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Always tip 30-50 %,and if you win the jackpot give it all to the crew.

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    20%. The entire crew of the RP works really hard the whole trip. That includes whoever happens to be driving the boat. It blew my mind the first time I saw Frank LoPreste serving dinner and collecting plates when we were done eating. The crew goes above and beyond in my opinion. I tip waitresses in restaurants who do little more than take my order and bring my food to the table. So I have no problem tipping the crew 20%. They earn it.
    Frank LoPreste is like the "Godfather' of this long range experiences IMHO. When he is gone anybody that got a chance to be on a vessel that he was on during one of these adventures really has experienced the best it has to offer..........Ap

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Always tip 30-50 %,and if you win the jackpot give it all to the crew.
    I was thinking more like 50-75% and letting them have sex with my sister....Ap

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Frank LoPreste is like the "Godfather' of this long range experiences IMHO. When he is gone anybody that got a chance to be on a vessel that he was on during one of these adventures really has experienced the best it has to offer..........Ap

Maybe, but the much younger Frank reminds me of Darth Vader. But like ten people have ten different opinions....

Upvote 0

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Maybe, but the much younger Frank reminds me of Darth Vader. But like ten people have ten different opinions....
    Nooooooooooo.....He's not your father Bill !?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Tipping is something that is personal choice. I always have and will continue to and I I'm not rich.

Frank is a business man and a smart one. Find me one that makes decisions that make everyone happy. Does that mean he's a Saint by no means. I do know Frank played rugby in college and continues to support the program and the kids financially one of whom is mine. Like a lot of folks including most on this site he's a hard ass but has a human side most don't see.

Go Gaels!!

Reactions: apogee
    Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Don't eat yellow snow!

Now there's a tip for ya.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    The guys I learned the most from like frank some considered the least friendly guys around..my goal however was fishing and not charm school so being around those guys and taking what I consider friendly abuse which turned to actual friendship was more than worth it..
    If those guys ever stopped giving you shit it was time to pack your bags..

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0