wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
No, Quinn, this is what you said. Let me try one more time and then I'll just leave you alone. See if this makes sense.

Service industry employees, restaurant servers, deckhands, pizza delivery drivers, get paid minimum or minimal wages to have the opportunity to earn more money in tips. Believe it or not, some guys tip their haircut technicians, Hell, I tip the kids who work for Five Star.

Skilled workers in trades and other businesses earn higher wages and salaries and do not go to work execting tips. When the plumber shows up to fix a broken pipe or unclog a sewer line, and I get a bill for labor at $105 an hour, I don't give him a tip. But, I always say thanks.
But I sooooooo liked the "tip your contractor" suggestion. :lux:

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Simple economics:
The best deckhands get better because they are there every year. They are there because the money is there. Certainly not pay from the boat owner...

When I worked the boats I got $35.00 a day from the landing. Where I worked we lived on fish cleaning money. No fish, means no real pay....

The long range operations back then had a real hard time getting crew to work the long range boats. We called it glory fishing, and worked one or two trips just for the expierence. There was no money for a long range crew then, no tips either. Now when you get on a boat you have a well co-ordinated crew on top of the game and most likely will see them on next year's trip. Thanks to your backing, we have the best crews that only get better. Believe me, your expierence on that trip is directly related to the present norm of tipping. (for me 15%)

joelocalguy

Nov 19, 2010
California
Name
joe johnson
Boat
none
Why not just have the owners pay a decent wage to the crew? No tipping.
Take the LR industry out of the "Service" industry.
Of course the price of a trip would go up. I have been on some trips where some of the fishermen gave very low tips or none at all. I give my 15-18% and know that the crew is going to get stiffed by some. I'm certainly not going to pick up the tab for someone else's shortcomings.
People wouldn't go because it cost more? Those people are the ones who wouldn't give a tip either.
The crews wouldn't work as hard? I doubt it. Let the owners pick and fire their own crews. Word gets around quick if the crew gets lazy or don't put out the effort to make your experience a good one. If it's a not good experience, it's simple, you don't go again. And to boot you're going to tell your fishing buds about the experience too. Will they go on that boat?

CMY SIX

ASSHOLE #2
Feb 5, 2011
Opelika Al USA
Name
quinn
Boat
exel last, next?
But I sooooooo liked the "tip your contractor" suggestion. :lux:
Well I don't make $105 an hour, I make 28.65 plus benny's, the last trip I was on the "deckhand" was telling me he owned a home in SD and he went to Tahoe in the winter to teach snowboarding, no money huh? most of these guys got an AB card and alot of the have 100 ton captains license, $85.00 a day I doubt it. I'm not against tipping but use a calculator, with those "tips" why does the boat pay them at all? this so-called requirment to tip is what gets me, I'm supposed to tip enuff for a crew member to make $3500 a piece, so the boat don't have to? the simple fact of why I get paid what I do, is there not alot of people that do what I do, hence the wage goes up simple economics period.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I have to agree with you, Joe. Until they make some sort of change like this, it will still be a tip dependent service industry.

Some chartermasters of private charters will figure the tip into the trip price. I fished a trip with Bruce Davis on the Spirit a couple of years ago. Talking with Bruce before the trip, we went over that.

He does it to eliminate the "uncomfortable" part of tipping if some guys perceive it that way. Disturbing at times to watch an angler settle up his galley tab with the skipper
after a 5 day, 8 day, 10 day trip and toss a twenty in the basket and say, "That's for the boys."

But, more importantly, it gets it out of the way, the crew knows they're going to be taken care of and do the best job they can at delivering excellent service to these charters so the guys will continue to come back year after year. They have fun and his charters fill very quickly.

Why not just have the owners pay a decent wage to the crew? No tipping.
Take the LR industry out of the "Service" industry.
Of course the price of a trip would go up. I have been on some trips where some of the fishermen gave very low tips or none at all. I give my 15-18% and know that the crew is going to get stiffed by some. I'm certainly not going to pick up the tab for someone else's shortcomings.
People wouldn't go because it cost more? Those people are the ones who wouldn't give a tip either.
The crews wouldn't work as hard? I doubt it. Let the owners pick and fire their own crews. Word gets around quick if the crew gets lazy or don't put out the effort to make your experience a good one. If it's a not good experience, it's simple, you don't go again. And to boot you're going to tell your fishing buds about the experience too. Will they go on that boat?

NachoOne

Not your normal Nachos
May 8, 2009
So Cal., CA. USA
Name
Nacho
Boat
Long Gone
Hell, I, for one pay a very decent tip when I am helped by the deckhands. If the service sucks, the tip goes down, but if the service is excellent, the tip goes way up. There is NO SET TIP for me. Then again, the Q105 got $1800.00 form me and never left the dock.

hagridfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I love this sport, and it seems to me most of the deck hands I have been on trips with love it too. however, they are WAY UNDERPAID for the hours they put in, and the work that they do, which for the most part is keeping us, the cantankerous curmudgeons, happy, and make sure we have a good time. Since the ones I will mention (as far as I know) aren't working the fleet anymore, I will tell you, Cal Link (Q-105) Spike (Q-105) Rodney (Q-105) Riverboat Mike (Q-105) Whitney (Angler) always were the most helpful, respectful (maybe not Spike there LOL. the sardine in my bunk will never be forgotten LOL) knowledgeable, pleasant people to deal with. Tip them? You damn right. I don't mention more people because they are still working the boats. But these people work a whole lot harder and longer than I want to! So I will continue to tip all I can afford, as far as I'm concerned, the jackpot goes to them too if I am lucky enough to finish in the money. I like the post that broke it down to what they make an hour, counting in the 18 hour days they work. No Overtime, if they are on the boat and get sick, tough it out. If they get hurt, tough it out, No one is there to take their place. These people work way too hard, and most have other jobs as well. So when someone says, they have a house in 'Dago, or teach snow boarding, that is showing that they work really hard for what they do. I know of guys, who when they aren't on a sport boat, are commercial fishing, or working construction etc... so I will do what I can to tip for the fantastic service that I get. O.K. I will get off my soap box, and let you guys throw rocks at me for a while. But tip your deck hands. I know most people won't put up with what they have to (Us) for 5 times the money they make.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
X2 .......especially the part about Spike:rofl:

I love this sport, and it seems to me most of the deck hands I have been on trips with love it too. however, they are WAY UNDERPAID for the hours they put in, and the work that they do, which for the most part is keeping us, the cantankerous curmudgeons, happy, and make sure we have a good time. Since the ones I will mention (as far as I know) aren't working the fleet anymore, I will tell you, Cal Link (Q-105) Spike (Q-105) Rodney (Q-105) Riverboat Mike (Q-105) Whitney (Angler) always were the most helpful, respectful (maybe not Spike there LOL. the sardine in my bunk will never be forgotten LOL) knowledgeable, pleasant people to deal with. Tip them? You damn right. I don't mention more people because they are still working the boats. But these people work a whole lot harder and longer than I want to! So I will continue to tip all I can afford, as far as I'm concerned, the jackpot goes to them too if I am lucky enough to finish in the money. I like the post that broke it down to what they make an hour, counting in the 18 hour days they work. No Overtime, if they are on the boat and get sick, tough it out. If they get hurt, tough it out, No one is there to take their place. These people work way too hard, and most have other jobs as well. So when someone says, they have a house in 'Dago, or teach snow boarding, that is showing that they work really hard for what they do. I know of guys, who when they aren't on a sport boat, are commercial fishing, or working construction etc... so I will do what I can to tip for the fantastic service that I get. O.K. I will get off my soap box, and let you guys throw rocks at me for a while. But tip your deck hands. I know most people won't put up with what they have to (Us) for 5 times the money they make.

shajcl

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 16, 2005
Alameda
Name
JL
Boat
n/a
Maybe the boats should be more clearly list what exactly the trip cost is and isn't included. And specifically stay that tips(whatever the percentage) are expected along with fuel and permit cost. That way this "tipping" issue will be forever resolved.

JL

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
Simple here in America, or at least it used to be: You earn your own way and you pay your own way. And that includes tipping people in the service industry. Otherwise, other people are paying your way for you, and that makes you a freeloader.