Tipping - oh so awkward a topic! An offer to collate comments anonymously .

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
My deal, I guess my opinion. Tip time at the end of the trip is a private moment shared with the captain. Good time to reflect on the trip, talk about the next one. Thanks go both ways, they truly appreciate our business first and foremost as without anglers, trips don’t run and crew members don’t get the opportunity to earn their tips. We show our appreciation for the service we have received and I’m not really sure that, beyond equally dividing up the tip money, how much or how little an angler tips gets shared with individual crew members. If I were the captain I would not want my crew to be aware of an individual who didn’t tip out the appropriate amount as I wouldn’t want them to deliver any less service to that angler on the next trip in favor of the one who tipped 15-20%. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a need for me to walk around waving hundred dollar bills. I trust the captain to appropriately share with the crew.

I guess this topic was never gonna be anonymous.

Last edited:

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I tip 10-25 percent.

I only tipped 10% once, and explained to the captain why. I also wont fish that boat or with that captain again.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
There is clearly a lot of emotional responses starting to take effect here. It always seems to come up when tipping is the subject of conversation on these forms. The one thing I can say is in regards to the comments about One Bad Apple so to speak and not tipping because of the One Bad Apple. What a lot of people do not realize is that one person on the crew that has the bad attitude is not just noticed by passengers but crew members know it as well. These things tend to shake out over time and even though the Bad Apple gets his fair cut of tips usually his attitude will correct itself or you will not see him on the boat the next time around assuming the captain has control of his ship. Everyone in life no matter what the profession has bad days or weeks because life sucks at times. That is not a reason to penalize the other crew members who have been out there working days if not weeks of days at a time.

I will admit I have cut my tips back at times not because of individual crew but because of a captain himself that was running a ship into the ground. Eventually I think a crew will bounce out and a captain will slowly work his way out of a job if everybody from top to bottom is unhappy. In most cases captains Kick-Butt work their butts off and want to see us find fish but every now and then there is the person that just hates his life and makes it worse for everybody working underneath him. Quite frankly that's also the person I do not want to trust at the helm when I'm sleeping at night. I should not ever Short change a tip based off of a captain but I also have never taken a 0 tip Approach at the same time. Again this subject will be beaten to death over and over again this will not be the last thread and it will go on and questioned for years to come and we'll always have the joke of 50% LOL. As a former crew member I would rather have a soft Tipper on the boat then nobody there in the first place. So at the end of the day assuming you're not working two-for-one Tuesday's the tips will come in you'll have high tippers low tippers and the economics of boat tipping will all shake out in the end. Not everybody can make it rain when it comes time to put money into the plastic jar. Hopefully everybody consciously thinks about the hard work that is taking place and is willing to separate a little bit of green greenbacks from their wallet to take care of these guys because they work a lot of hours a lot more than many of us understand or appreciate unless you have been there done that and are on day 20 something and going on in an endless work stretch. My buddy JP was 50 something days straight last time I fished with him. It's part of the game but damn I certainly hope at the end he can add some more money under the pillow for the efforts. Deckhands sometimes put out grinds in LR that make roughnecks look soft when they gripe about 2 weeks on / whatever off....

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I agree with the 15-20% figure. The crew does not make very much money. They really survive on tips. I tip based on service, not on the fish catch. They don’t have much control over that.

I do not support the charter master (or anyone else) imposing a mandatory amount of a tip.

I am a big supporter of the crew and I really appreciate how hard they work, especially behinds the scenes doing things that most passengers never see such as taking wheel watches and working in the engine room. Their hourly rate equates to next to nothing.

It’s an uncomfortable topic for the Captain to bring up as some people truly do not understand the custom of tipping the crew. I always make it a point to ask the Captain about what is the appropriate amount to tip when he speaks to us anglers on the last night. Of course I already know the answer, it is s simple way for him to broach the uncomfortable topic. I have had more than one Captain this thank me later for bringing it up.
The crew does not make that much Money. They probably make like 3-4 dollars per hour on they wages there paid. Remember the crew gets a daily rate and not per hour. When you divide their hours worked and their rate of pay,,, It comes out to what I just said. Tipping should not be sparred.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
if you realllllly want to talk about the art of tipping? when was the last time you tipped the girls in the office who sign you in and assign your room to you? this about that? where are you going to sleep and with who for the next 2 weeks?
When I check in whether it's women or men I give them $20 each to have lunch on me.

Reactions: freegaff2

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Click my name, then click "Start a Conversation"

If willing: Please send me you thoughts on tipping. I will, in one week, share results without attributing any responses.
Examples:
1.5 day that costs $500
5 day trip costing $2500
18 day trip costing $7500

Formulas?
How much per day or percentage of cost?
Jackpot funds?
Is it ever appropriate to tip individuals?

Again, the hope is to do this with some anonymity.

Click "locvetter" then "Start a Conversation." Yes, I will see your name, but will not share it in my compilation.

Thanks
I usually tip 15% give or take
I avoid jackpots these days
I gave a crew member money just for him cause he went out of his way to help my wife.

Reactions: locvetter

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I make pretty good dough and I tip pretty good, but I don’t throw money at the crew. They’re not carrying bags or parking cars, and I don’t treat them like they are. I agree with SteveK, it goes to the skipper at the end of the trip. He knows a lot better than I do who’s gettin’ it done.

Also, a lot of guys don’t make that much dough. I’d hate to see a man not be able to take his kids on an overnighter because he doesn’t have 3 X 500 X 20% to tip the crew.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
The crew does not make that much Money. They probably make like 3-4 dollars per hour on they wages there paid. Remember the crew gets a daily rate and not per hour. When you divide their hours worked and their rate of pay,,, It comes out to what I just said. Tipping should not be sparred.
This is the part I don’t get. The owners of the boats pay peanuts to the crew and I’m supposed to subsidize their wage by over tipping?

I would rather the landings include the tip in the price of the trip and pay their employees a decent wage.

Reactions: double_entendre

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
This is the part I don’t get. The owners of the boats pay peanuts to the crew and I’m supposed to subsidize their wage by over tipping?

I would rather the landings include the tip in the price of the trip and pay their employees a decent wage.

Have you ever eaten at a restaurant in a country that doesn’t tip?

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

That's the way it should be. If you go to a resturant with 8 people at a table, They automaticly add 20% to the tab, To make sure they don't get stiffed. The boats should do the same, since alot of people don't come close to tipping even 15% on the L.R. I have seen it happen many. The customer gives the crew a tip of $100,, and Thinks it enough of a tip.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster

Well... when I decked the 1/2 day and 3/4 day the only side money was on the fillet board and making ganions. still did O.K. at 15 cents a fish. The long range crews did not do very well and had a hard time getting crew to work full time. We called it glory fishing and could not really make a living at it. Now the long range do not have a problem keeping a good deck crew. One thing i did like on one of my trips returning was the skipper suggested the 15% as a customary tip for those not wondering what would be a normal tip.

There is no side money other than that. If the boat had to look around for crew for each trip like the old days, you would not have the primo crew you do now. You do not know how good you got it unless these guys you see every year are not on every year.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I make pretty good dough and I tip pretty good, but I don’t throw money at the crew. They’re not carrying bags or parking cars, and I don’t treat them like they are. I agree with SteveK, it goes to the skipper at the end of the trip. He knows a lot better than I do who’s gettin’ it done.

Also, a lot of guys don’t make that much dough. I’d hate to see a man not be able to take his kids on an overnighter because he doesn’t have 3 X 500 X 20% to tip the crew.
That would only be $100.00 each person for 1.5 days for $500. That is not out of the question for not taking a couple kids out for 1.5 days. If it was a 10 day trip then it reaaly adds up for 3 people.

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit

I agree completely with the first paragraph

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Personally I would feel a little awkward tipping as soon as I got onboard. I always make sure I'm firmly on the north side of 15 %. That being said....last year, after a tough tangle with some wily Yellowfin swimming in circles, Jack W. has to cut me free. "Follow me." he says. Fast as could be, he reties a new floro leader, ties a new hook, scoots to the bait tank, "Follow me ", casts the sardine way the heck out there...."Hang on to this " ...three one thousand, 4, Sweet Jesus, I'm on. 31 #. My best fish of the trip. I even got my picture on the website so the wife knew I was on the trip. That night I found Jack and shook his hand with a 50 spot. Jack, a master at his craft.

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
That would only be $100.00 each person for 1.5 days for $500. That is not out of the question for not taking a couple kids out for 1.5 days. If it was a 10 day trip then it reaaly adds up for 3 people.
$300 is a lot of dough for some guys, particularly a guy with a few kids grunting out a living.

I guess he can take the on the pier...

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
Who said anything about not tipping?
Several people. In any event, I was asking about countries where people don’t tip, not individuals that don’t tip.

When it’s rolled into the pay, it’s no longer much of an incentive.

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
When it’s rolled into the pay, it’s no longer much of an incentive.
The incentive I would think, would come from wanting to keep their job. If that’s not enough to keep them working hard, then I’m going to guess they would probably find a reason to not work hard, even with a tip. That’s just me though.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
The incentive I would think, would come from wanting to keep their job. If that’s not enough to keep them working hard, then I’m going to guess they would probably find a reason to not work hard, even with a tip. That’s just me though.
Actually I have seen that there is a A team, a B team and in a pinch a C team that crews the boat. The passenger groups that are the most pleasurable to fish with are the ones that come year after year. The crew knows them and they know the crew. Starting with the cook, and possibly the captain and the A team deck crew they have a 3 trip on and 1 trip off rotation. Gee... I seem to get the A team.

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
In much the same way that people at McDonald’s want to keep their jobs. The tip is rolled into the cost of the meal.

Do you think sales people should get a commission? Why? Do they not want to keep their jobs? Is the crew not effectively a sales team?

In any event, I can tip or not tip or adjust my tip depending on how happy I am with the service. I would rather not give up that option.

stank

May 16, 2005
Norco, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
actually, that's 1800 + travel & fileting.

How many young Dads can afford that for an "overnighter"?
Not enough.

How many deckhands do you know that would want a guy not be able to come and bring their kids because they’re embarrassed about not having enough money to tip?

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Actually I have seen that there is a A team, a B team and in a pinch a C team that crews the boat. The passenger groups that are the most pleasurable to fish with are the ones that come year after year. The crew knows them and they know the crew. Starting with the cook, and possibly the captain and the A team deck crew they have a 3 trip on and 1 trip off rotation. Gee... I seem to get the A team.
If you're using A, B and C in the general sense of a grading system - that is, A is best, and so on - that would kind of suck for the newbie, the rookie, the angler who can only afford to go occasionally, anyone who can't manage to get on the same trip regularly...if they happen to wind up with the C team.

On the three long range trips I've been on (if you include a 3.5 day, which probably isn't really "long range"), there have been some definite stand-outs in the deckhands and galley crew, and some others who seemed to be just putting in their time on the job. Same with the captains. I tip according to the overall experience and service provided. The standouts on each trip I've been on have been good enough such that I leave a solid tip, as they elevated my overall enjoyment of the trip.

I guess I'd like to believe that I and every other fisherman who gets on a long range trip - especially those of us that I described above - has a right to expect a quality experience and quality service. The same service provided to everyone.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
$300 is a lot of dough for some guys, particularly a guy with a few kids grunting out a living.

I guess he can take the on the pier...
When you take kids fishing on boats,, I don't think the crew excepts the kids to even tip them. Generally they like to see kids fishing as they like to see pretty women. I know it sounds like a double standard, But like everything else there are exceptions. I have taken my son on many trips up to 10 days when he was 8 years and ever since. When he goes to tip the crew, They tell him to keep it and save up for your next trip with us, That they love having him on the boat. (one or two kids on a boat, who do not tip will not make a dent in the crews tips).

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
I usually short change them on the tip and tip myself , it goes into my new gear fund ,,
That’s winning!:D