Tipping - oh so awkward a topic! An offer to collate comments anonymously .

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by locvetter, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I'm not going to comment about tipping, already did that a couple of times. I do think after reading a couple posts above, we might be heading for another "that guy" thread. Hell we might even have another vote on who is the biggest asshole on B.D. Always a great honor.

Mangisda, vegasandre, ripped and 4 others like this.
  2. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    I don’t tip , its their job , I paid my fare !

3. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Have you ever paid a building contractor or handyman in advance? Motivation and attention to details seem to diminish.

4. Yellowtail Dan

Yellowtail Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Excel, American Angler
    ".
    Why NOT be a MAN...and discuss your dissatisfaction with the offending party/crewman??!![/QUOTE]

Maybe in your haste to pop off you didn't read my post thru. I said I would make my comments to the Captain and if the crew member was there I would say it loud enough for him to hear so there would be no doubts. I have zero issues calling people out

I would handle this Like this because it's the right way to handle it on a boat. Of the boat the world is different

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    stephen campbell, ZZZZZ and Bill W like this.
  5. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    elijah, If you want to tip up front, knock yourself out. Bribe my not be the right word, but its still a way to ass kiss, and expect special treatment, and if you disagree, so be it....but you are not being honest with yourself.

and I'm not talking about a dad handing over $20 to keep an eye on his kid who may need some extra help.

You come off like an arrogant jerk. You could have easily responded similarly to how fishkilr replied.

6. Blackfish

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    I was speaking of an individual tip. Not a crew tip. I agree. One bad apple should not cause the rest to suffer.

TIPs are not that way anymore. In fact, I can not ever in my life recall TIPS being given before services. Yes, I have seen people "tip" upfront, but it has always been to get preferential treatment.

I can understand someone giving some coin up front if they felt they needed extra help, or someone in their party, makes sense. You will need extra attention, hence the upfront cash. No issues. But to walk on a boat hand out a couple hundred to all the crew right up front, I would look at that as grandstanding IMO. Kind of like the guy who pays the valet $100 bucks to park his high end car up front.

I appreciate your thought out conversational reply.

7. Spanky79

Spanky79 Happiest on the water

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on

8. Blackfish

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Chris,

I have worked in the service industry. Bartender, barback, waiter, busboy, a deckhand on a party boat, a deckhand on a yacht. I have also been a customer/patron of all these industries. I fully understand how tips work from both perspectives.

I do not, nor would I ever expect a customer to tip me up front. I don't treat a cheap customer any different then I would any other. I am there to serve them, it's my job. As long as they pay the bill, the tip is the bonus. Their call. I chose the industry, and I know the risk and reward.

Mike

Soda Pop, XBDEE, Rocco F. and 9 others like this.
  9. Blackfish

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    I was going to say, pompous jerk, that may have been a better choice. Have a nice day.

nicodemus and locvetter like this.
  10. Spanky79

Spanky79 Happiest on the water

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    Mike ,
    I am not saying I treat people poorly. However, of I already know you tip or you don't the treatment may very a bit. Most people do not tip up front. But when they do it is noticed and appreciated. You never know who the real good tipper is. Anyone that has been in the Industry long enough has judged a person they though might b cheap and felt like shit after that person turned out to be very generous.
    I tip based on performance and attitude. That is how I make my living and I appreciate good service. I also have no problem tilling little or nothing when needed, although it takes alot to get stiffed. I can only remember one incident were I didn't tip, that lady was a piece of work.
    If you are a regular on a boat I suggest tipping well, people remember who tips well and who doesn't.
    Not everyone has the means to tip over the top amounts. But it should be part of the budget when planning a fishing trip.

nicodemus, locvetter and Blackfish like this.
  11. Blackfish

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Agree with everything you said. Having been in the industry, I know how to tp. :)

locvetter likes this.
  12. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Some good forms of tipping while on the trip imo are.

Treat the crew as friends. Be respectful and courteous and not insulting or belittling.

Stay out of trouble and don't make trouble. Don't be overly needy with creature comforts and go with the flow.

Appreciate everything learned from thier teachings and hard earned experience they are willing to pass on. They are there to help you learn the art of fishing and to show you a good time

Give compliments when do. Such a tough work environment in extreme elements, every day. While dealing with a very colorful melting pot group of clients :D most humans are not that friendly and bass ass at the same time. Good crew are special folks

Those are tips too. Dont be a pain in the ass

Loc I guess no one told you never ever post this topic LOL

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  13. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    If you were the guy receiving the tip you wouldn't feel that way....
    this is why u have no knowledge of the benefit of doing so...

14. Blackfish

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    This was the Charles that came to mind. :D

nicodemus and locvetter like this.
  15. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Maybe this is a sign :D the lower banks are going to pack cow soon. Bitting nails in good ocean conditions with bait. Like bd good biting conditions.

The cabo tuna tournament had fish up to 270. Cows off snorkeling mammals. Around 40 miles outside lands end

stephen campbell and locvetter like this.
  16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    My deal, I guess my opinion. Tip time at the end of the trip is a private moment shared with the captain. Good time to reflect on the trip, talk about the next one. Thanks go both ways, they truly appreciate our business first and foremost as without anglers, trips don’t run and crew members don’t get the opportunity to earn their tips. We show our appreciation for the service we have received and I’m not really sure that, beyond equally dividing up the tip money, how much or how little an angler tips gets shared with individual crew members. If I were the captain I would not want my crew to be aware of an individual who didn’t tip out the appropriate amount as I wouldn’t want them to deliver any less service to that angler on the next trip in favor of the one who tipped 15-20%. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a need for me to walk around waving hundred dollar bills. I trust the captain to appropriately share with the crew.

I guess this topic was never gonna be anonymous.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  17. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    I tip 10-25 percent.

I only tipped 10% once, and explained to the captain why. I also wont fish that boat or with that captain again.

Olddog8, wils and locvetter like this.
  18. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    There is clearly a lot of emotional responses starting to take effect here. It always seems to come up when tipping is the subject of conversation on these forms. The one thing I can say is in regards to the comments about One Bad Apple so to speak and not tipping because of the One Bad Apple. What a lot of people do not realize is that one person on the crew that has the bad attitude is not just noticed by passengers but crew members know it as well. These things tend to shake out over time and even though the Bad Apple gets his fair cut of tips usually his attitude will correct itself or you will not see him on the boat the next time around assuming the captain has control of his ship. Everyone in life no matter what the profession has bad days or weeks because life sucks at times. That is not a reason to penalize the other crew members who have been out there working days if not weeks of days at a time.

I will admit I have cut my tips back at times not because of individual crew but because of a captain himself that was running a ship into the ground. Eventually I think a crew will bounce out and a captain will slowly work his way out of a job if everybody from top to bottom is unhappy. In most cases captains Kick-Butt work their butts off and want to see us find fish but every now and then there is the person that just hates his life and makes it worse for everybody working underneath him. Quite frankly that's also the person I do not want to trust at the helm when I'm sleeping at night. I should not ever Short change a tip based off of a captain but I also have never taken a 0 tip Approach at the same time. Again this subject will be beaten to death over and over again this will not be the last thread and it will go on and questioned for years to come and we'll always have the joke of 50% LOL. As a former crew member I would rather have a soft Tipper on the boat then nobody there in the first place. So at the end of the day assuming you're not working two-for-one Tuesday's the tips will come in you'll have high tippers low tippers and the economics of boat tipping will all shake out in the end. Not everybody can make it rain when it comes time to put money into the plastic jar. Hopefully everybody consciously thinks about the hard work that is taking place and is willing to separate a little bit of green greenbacks from their wallet to take care of these guys because they work a lot of hours a lot more than many of us understand or appreciate unless you have been there done that and are on day 20 something and going on in an endless work stretch. My buddy JP was 50 something days straight last time I fished with him. It's part of the game but damn I certainly hope at the end he can add some more money under the pillow for the efforts. Deckhands sometimes put out grinds in LR that make roughnecks look soft when they gripe about 2 weeks on / whatever off....

19. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I never tipped on the fuel surcharge. But now that its included in the original price for the trip, what the heck. Tip 50% on THAT, too. :D

20. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
  21. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    The crew does not make that much Money. They probably make like 3-4 dollars per hour on they wages there paid. Remember the crew gets a daily rate and not per hour. When you divide their hours worked and their rate of pay,,, It comes out to what I just said. Tipping should not be sparred.

22. kevina

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    When I check in whether it's women or men I give them $20 each to have lunch on me.

freegaff2 likes this.
  23. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    I usually tip 15% give or take
    I avoid jackpots these days
    I gave a crew member money just for him cause he went out of his way to help my wife.

locvetter likes this.
  24. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    I make pretty good dough and I tip pretty good, but I don’t throw money at the crew. They’re not carrying bags or parking cars, and I don’t treat them like they are. I agree with SteveK, it goes to the skipper at the end of the trip. He knows a lot better than I do who’s gettin’ it done.

Also, a lot of guys don’t make that much dough. I’d hate to see a man not be able to take his kids on an overnighter because he doesn’t have 3 X 500 X 20% to tip the crew.

25. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    This is the part I don’t get. The owners of the boats pay peanuts to the crew and I’m supposed to subsidize their wage by over tipping?

I would rather the landings include the tip in the price of the trip and pay their employees a decent wage.

double_entendre likes this.
  26. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None

Have you ever eaten at a restaurant in a country that doesn’t tip?

locvetter likes this.
  27. kevina

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    That's the way it should be. If you go to a resturant with 8 people at a table, They automaticly add 20% to the tab, To make sure they don't get stiffed. The boats should do the same, since alot of people don't come close to tipping even 15% on the L.R. I have seen it happen many. The customer gives the crew a tip of $100,, and Thinks it enough of a tip.

locvetter likes this.