Tipping - oh so awkward a topic! An offer to collate comments anonymously .

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I'm not going to comment about tipping, already did that a couple of times. I do think after reading a couple posts above, we might be heading for another "that guy" thread. Hell we might even have another vote on who is the biggest asshole on B.D. Always a great honor.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Not a bribe... Tips originally were designed to give before service to insure prompt or proper service...
If one chooses to tip before the trip that is perfectly acceptable and for those who aren't experienced and may need some extra attention very smart..
a bribe is usually connected with somethin nefarious while tipping up front to get your money's worth in service I look at as perfectly fine...
Tips given at the end of trips might include better service on your next trip on that boat but tipping up front will ensure it immediately...
Have you ever paid a building contractor or handyman in advance? Motivation and attention to details seem to diminish.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
INSTEAD of taking the cowardly approach of ..."Especially if the offending crewman is in earshot of hearing me.
".
Why NOT be a MAN...and discuss your dissatisfaction with the offending party/crewman??!![/QUOTE]

Maybe in your haste to pop off you didn't read my post thru. I said I would make my comments to the Captain and if the crew member was there I would say it loud enough for him to hear so there would be no doubts. I have zero issues calling people out

I would handle this Like this because it's the right way to handle it on a boat. Of the boat the world is different

Last edited:

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
elijah, If you want to tip up front, knock yourself out. Bribe my not be the right word, but its still a way to ass kiss, and expect special treatment, and if you disagree, so be it....but you are not being honest with yourself.

and I'm not talking about a dad handing over $20 to keep an eye on his kid who may need some extra help.

You come off like an arrogant jerk. You could have easily responded similarly to how fishkilr replied.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
I can not do 0% for one bad apple in the bunch. Especially when the cook is involved in the split. I have no issue with a crew guy that tries his best. I do have an issue with a crew member that goes out of his way to make my trip regrettable.
I was speaking of an individual tip. Not a crew tip. I agree. One bad apple should not cause the rest to suffer.

Not a bribe... Tips originally were designed to give before service to insure prompt or proper service...
If one chooses to tip before the trip that is perfectly acceptable and for those who aren't experienced and may need some extra attention very smart..
a bribe is usually connected with somethin nefarious while tipping up front to get your money's worth in service I look at as perfectly fine...
Tips given at the end of trips might include better service on your next trip on that boat but tipping up front will ensure it immediately...
TIPs are not that way anymore. In fact, I can not ever in my life recall TIPS being given before services. Yes, I have seen people "tip" upfront, but it has always been to get preferential treatment.

I can understand someone giving some coin up front if they felt they needed extra help, or someone in their party, makes sense. You will need extra attention, hence the upfront cash. No issues. But to walk on a boat hand out a couple hundred to all the crew right up front, I would look at that as grandstanding IMO. Kind of like the guy who pays the valet $100 bucks to park his high end car up front.

I appreciate your thought out conversational reply.

Spanky79

Happiest on the water
Oct 27, 2018
palm desert
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can get on
"I start the trip by slipping $200.00 to each member of the vessel's crew..."

I have been in the service industry my entire adult life. This is the world works. If you are cheap and we know it, you get service accordingly. This man k ows how to make sure he has a good trip, and good on him.
10 years ago when I was making better money I went on an 8 day on the Polaris Supreme. I watched guy after guy lip 100 or less for a 7 day trip. I gave them 700, 100 for each crew member. The trip cost was about 3k. So it came out to over 20%. Those guys worked their asses off and one guy was about to jump over board to rescue a rig I dropped. The asked me of I was sure about the tip, I said you earned it. The were very happy and thanked me. I can't wait to be able to do it again.

This is very nice of you, but that is not a tip, that is a bribe. A payoff. So the crew may now be more likely to give less attention to another fellow angler because he was bought off at the start of the trip.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Chris,

I have worked in the service industry. Bartender, barback, waiter, busboy, a deckhand on a party boat, a deckhand on a yacht. I have also been a customer/patron of all these industries. I fully understand how tips work from both perspectives.

I do not, nor would I ever expect a customer to tip me up front. I don't treat a cheap customer any different then I would any other. I am there to serve them, it's my job. As long as they pay the bill, the tip is the bonus. Their call. I chose the industry, and I know the risk and reward.

Mike

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
How quintessentially ARROGANT for you to refer to myself as a "Jerk'...
When you want to play Jr.College Psychiatrist by you TELLING ME!!!....
What I'm thinking!!!...
You should have saved yourself the tuition and the cost of the Sigmund Freud...Introduction to the inner Mind book ....
It garnered you...ZERO RETURN!!!
I was going to say, pompous jerk, that may have been a better choice. Have a nice day.

Spanky79

Happiest on the water
Oct 27, 2018
palm desert
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can get on
Chris,

I have worked in the service industry. Bartender, barback, waiter, busboy, a deckhand on a party boat, a deckhand on a yacht. I have also been a customer/patron of all these industries. I fully understand how tips work from both perspectives.

I do not, nor would I ever expect a customer to tip me up front. I don't treat a cheap customer any different then I would any other. I am there to serve them, it's my job. As long as they pay the bill, the tip is the bonus. Their call. I chose the industry, and I know the risk and reward.

Mike
Mike ,
I am not saying I treat people poorly. However, of I already know you tip or you don't the treatment may very a bit. Most people do not tip up front. But when they do it is noticed and appreciated. You never know who the real good tipper is. Anyone that has been in the Industry long enough has judged a person they though might b cheap and felt like shit after that person turned out to be very generous.
I tip based on performance and attitude. That is how I make my living and I appreciate good service. I also have no problem tilling little or nothing when needed, although it takes alot to get stiffed. I can only remember one incident were I didn't tip, that lady was a piece of work.
If you are a regular on a boat I suggest tipping well, people remember who tips well and who doesn't.
Not everyone has the means to tip over the top amounts. But it should be part of the budget when planning a fishing trip.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
Mike ,
I am not saying I treat people poorly. However, of I already know you tip or you don't the treatment may very a bit. Most people do not tip up front. But when they do it is noticed and appreciated. You never know who the real good tipper is. Anyone that has been in the Industry long enough has judged a person they though might b cheap and felt like shit after that person turned out to be very generous.
I tip based on performance and attitude. That is how I make my living and I appreciate good service. I also have no problem tilling little or nothing when needed, although it takes alot to get stiffed. I can only remember one incident were I didn't tip, that lady was a piece of work.
If you are a regular on a boat I suggest tipping well, people remember who tips well and who doesn't.
Not everyone has the means to tip over the top amounts. But it should be part of the budget when planning a fishing trip.
Agree with everything you said. Having been in the industry, I know how to tp. :)

Reactions: locvetter

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Some good forms of tipping while on the trip imo are.

Treat the crew as friends. Be respectful and courteous and not insulting or belittling.

Stay out of trouble and don't make trouble. Don't be overly needy with creature comforts and go with the flow.

Appreciate everything learned from thier teachings and hard earned experience they are willing to pass on. They are there to help you learn the art of fishing and to show you a good time

Give compliments when do. Such a tough work environment in extreme elements, every day. While dealing with a very colorful melting pot group of clients :D most humans are not that friendly and bass ass at the same time. Good crew are special folks

Those are tips too. Dont be a pain in the ass

Loc I guess no one told you never ever post this topic LOL

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Maybe this is a sign :D the lower banks are going to pack cow soon. Bitting nails in good ocean conditions with bait. Like bd good biting conditions.

The cabo tuna tournament had fish up to 270. Cows off snorkeling mammals. Around 40 miles outside lands end

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
My deal, I guess my opinion. Tip time at the end of the trip is a private moment shared with the captain. Good time to reflect on the trip, talk about the next one. Thanks go both ways, they truly appreciate our business first and foremost as without anglers, trips don’t run and crew members don’t get the opportunity to earn their tips. We show our appreciation for the service we have received and I’m not really sure that, beyond equally dividing up the tip money, how much or how little an angler tips gets shared with individual crew members. If I were the captain I would not want my crew to be aware of an individual who didn’t tip out the appropriate amount as I wouldn’t want them to deliver any less service to that angler on the next trip in favor of the one who tipped 15-20%. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a need for me to walk around waving hundred dollar bills. I trust the captain to appropriately share with the crew.

I guess this topic was never gonna be anonymous.

Last edited:

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Allied Gardens
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I tip 10-25 percent.

I only tipped 10% once, and explained to the captain why. I also wont fish that boat or with that captain again.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
There is clearly a lot of emotional responses starting to take effect here. It always seems to come up when tipping is the subject of conversation on these forms. The one thing I can say is in regards to the comments about One Bad Apple so to speak and not tipping because of the One Bad Apple. What a lot of people do not realize is that one person on the crew that has the bad attitude is not just noticed by passengers but crew members know it as well. These things tend to shake out over time and even though the Bad Apple gets his fair cut of tips usually his attitude will correct itself or you will not see him on the boat the next time around assuming the captain has control of his ship. Everyone in life no matter what the profession has bad days or weeks because life sucks at times. That is not a reason to penalize the other crew members who have been out there working days if not weeks of days at a time.

I will admit I have cut my tips back at times not because of individual crew but because of a captain himself that was running a ship into the ground. Eventually I think a crew will bounce out and a captain will slowly work his way out of a job if everybody from top to bottom is unhappy. In most cases captains Kick-Butt work their butts off and want to see us find fish but every now and then there is the person that just hates his life and makes it worse for everybody working underneath him. Quite frankly that's also the person I do not want to trust at the helm when I'm sleeping at night. I should not ever Short change a tip based off of a captain but I also have never taken a 0 tip Approach at the same time. Again this subject will be beaten to death over and over again this will not be the last thread and it will go on and questioned for years to come and we'll always have the joke of 50% LOL. As a former crew member I would rather have a soft Tipper on the boat then nobody there in the first place. So at the end of the day assuming you're not working two-for-one Tuesday's the tips will come in you'll have high tippers low tippers and the economics of boat tipping will all shake out in the end. Not everybody can make it rain when it comes time to put money into the plastic jar. Hopefully everybody consciously thinks about the hard work that is taking place and is willing to separate a little bit of green greenbacks from their wallet to take care of these guys because they work a lot of hours a lot more than many of us understand or appreciate unless you have been there done that and are on day 20 something and going on in an endless work stretch. My buddy JP was 50 something days straight last time I fished with him. It's part of the game but damn I certainly hope at the end he can add some more money under the pillow for the efforts. Deckhands sometimes put out grinds in LR that make roughnecks look soft when they gripe about 2 weeks on / whatever off....

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I agree with the 15-20% figure. The crew does not make very much money. They really survive on tips. I tip based on service, not on the fish catch. They don’t have much control over that.

I do not support the charter master (or anyone else) imposing a mandatory amount of a tip.

I am a big supporter of the crew and I really appreciate how hard they work, especially behinds the scenes doing things that most passengers never see such as taking wheel watches and working in the engine room. Their hourly rate equates to next to nothing.

It’s an uncomfortable topic for the Captain to bring up as some people truly do not understand the custom of tipping the crew. I always make it a point to ask the Captain about what is the appropriate amount to tip when he speaks to us anglers on the last night. Of course I already know the answer, it is s simple way for him to broach the uncomfortable topic. I have had more than one Captain this thank me later for bringing it up.
The crew does not make that much Money. They probably make like 3-4 dollars per hour on they wages there paid. Remember the crew gets a daily rate and not per hour. When you divide their hours worked and their rate of pay,,, It comes out to what I just said. Tipping should not be sparred.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
if you realllllly want to talk about the art of tipping? when was the last time you tipped the girls in the office who sign you in and assign your room to you? this about that? where are you going to sleep and with who for the next 2 weeks?
When I check in whether it's women or men I give them $20 each to have lunch on me.

Reactions: freegaff2

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Click my name, then click "Start a Conversation"

If willing: Please send me you thoughts on tipping. I will, in one week, share results without attributing any responses.
Examples:
1.5 day that costs $500
5 day trip costing $2500
18 day trip costing $7500

Formulas?
How much per day or percentage of cost?
Jackpot funds?
Is it ever appropriate to tip individuals?

Again, the hope is to do this with some anonymity.

Click "locvetter" then "Start a Conversation." Yes, I will see your name, but will not share it in my compilation.

Thanks
I usually tip 15% give or take
I avoid jackpots these days
I gave a crew member money just for him cause he went out of his way to help my wife.

stank

Well-Known "Member"
May 16, 2005
Norwalk, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I make pretty good dough and I tip pretty good, but I don’t throw money at the crew. They’re not carrying bags or parking cars, and I don’t treat them like they are. I agree with SteveK, it goes to the skipper at the end of the trip. He knows a lot better than I do who’s gettin’ it done.

Also, a lot of guys don’t make that much dough. I’d hate to see a man not be able to take his kids on an overnighter because he doesn’t have 3 X 500 X 20% to tip the crew.

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
The crew does not make that much Money. They probably make like 3-4 dollars per hour on they wages there paid. Remember the crew gets a daily rate and not per hour. When you divide their hours worked and their rate of pay,,, It comes out to what I just said. Tipping should not be sparred.
This is the part I don’t get. The owners of the boats pay peanuts to the crew and I’m supposed to subsidize their wage by over tipping?

I would rather the landings include the tip in the price of the trip and pay their employees a decent wage.

Reactions: double_entendre

stank

Well-Known "Member"
May 16, 2005
Norwalk, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
None
This is the part I don’t get. The owners of the boats pay peanuts to the crew and I’m supposed to subsidize their wage by over tipping?

I would rather the landings include the tip in the price of the trip and pay their employees a decent wage.

Have you ever eaten at a restaurant in a country that doesn’t tip?

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

That's the way it should be. If you go to a resturant with 8 people at a table, They automaticly add 20% to the tab, To make sure they don't get stiffed. The boats should do the same, since alot of people don't come close to tipping even 15% on the L.R. I have seen it happen many. The customer gives the crew a tip of $100,, and Thinks it enough of a tip.