Tipping - oh so awkward a topic! An offer to collate comments anonymously .

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Click my name, then click "Start a Conversation"

If willing: Please send me you thoughts on tipping. I will, in one week, share results without attributing any responses.
    Examples:
    1.5 day that costs $500
    5 day trip costing $2500
    18 day trip costing $7500

Formulas?
    How much per day or percentage of cost?
    Jackpot funds?
    Is it ever appropriate to tip individuals?

Again, the hope is to do this with some anonymity.

Click "locvetter" then "Start a Conversation." Yes, I will see your name, but will not share it in my compilation.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Reactions: Whalebreath
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster

If willing: Please send me you thoughts on tipping. I will, in one week, share results without attributing any responses.
    Examples:
    1.5 day that costs $500
    5 day trip costing $2500
    18 day trip costing ?7500

Formulas?
    Jackpot funds?

Thanks

Just me... Not including any extra costs I go 15%... On a rare occasion that one crew guy is stupid or a dick, still 15% but i gotta think about leaving that boat for another.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I look forward to the replies on this thread.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    15%-30% Jackpot is usually part of the 30%.

Can you add to your study if people would be offended if Charter Master included 15% tip in price of trip....based on trip cost...not tab or fish cleaning.

Upvote 0

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
    Feb 17, 2013
    San Pedro ca USA
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    SANCHA Bonita
    Why are we going over this again ? In the SERVICE INDUSTRY it’s customary to tip according to the service provided. Some of us are on a budget and can’t afford to give exuberant tips. PLEASE REMEMBER THERE A RULE OF THUMB 10 percent 15,18 or 20 percent to be given IF YOU CHOOSE, ITS NOT MANDATORY TO GIVE FOR BAD SERVICE.
    If your rich than please give more than what’s recommended.
    I fish the INDY AND THE RED ROOSTER and they start asking for at least 15% of the trips fare. Tip according.

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    What would Mr. Pink tip???? Tip based on service not principle...Kinda like every kid getting a trophy... if they put in the work and you have the ability to show appreciation do so.

Upvote 0

Rivers

Jun 9, 2018
    Eagle River Alaska
    Name
    Shaun Nelson
    Boat
    Wicked Salmon

Examples:
    1.5 day that costs $500
    5 day trip costing $2500
    18 day trip costing $7500

Formulas?
    Jackpot funds?

Again, the hope is to do this with some anonymity.

Click "locvetter" then "Start a Conversation." Yes, I will see your name, but will not share it in my compilation.

Thanks
    15 percent and I had no problem with it. Crew went beyond to help people and to make it a great trip.

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 21, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    Sold and Gone!!!
    It depends, esp when some boats do there best to nickle & dime you to death.
    I try to follow....
    10% for bad service( this one i struggle with )
    15% for satisfactory service
    20% for great service

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
    Dana Point
    Name
    Paul L.
    Boat
    33’ Blackfin
    I agree with the 15-20% figure. The crew does not make very much money. They really survive on tips. I tip based on service, not on the fish catch. They don’t have much control over that.

I do not support the charter master (or anyone else) imposing a mandatory amount of a tip.

I am a big supporter of the crew and I really appreciate how hard they work, especially behinds the scenes doing things that most passengers never see such as taking wheel watches and working in the engine room. Their hourly rate equates to next to nothing.

It’s an uncomfortable topic for the Captain to bring up as some people truly do not understand the custom of tipping the crew. I always make it a point to ask the Captain about what is the appropriate amount to tip when he speaks to us anglers on the last night. Of course I already know the answer, it is s simple way for him to broach the uncomfortable topic. I have had more than one Captain this thank me later for bringing it up.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I usually tip 50 to 75 per day of a LRtrip. I make sure I have a " secret tip " stash that cant be spent at fishermans by mistake lol. I also year have brought energy drinks but my guys like good ole fashioned coffee as do I. I also try to help out others with knots and other questions to help out the guys get some breaks at travel times.

If I get JP I usually give that too. I have plane lodging and boarding to spend too. One day if I'm a rich mofo I'll make it rain lol.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    many times you see long range fishing compared to taking a vacation
    maybe you go to an all inclusive resort
    do you tip the airline
    do you tip the ticket counter
    do you tip the porter at the curb
    do you tip the hotel
    do you tip your cabie
    do you tip your servers
    do you tip your bell man
    do you tip any of them based upon the cost of your entire trip?
    do you tip the redshirts
    do you tip them based upon the entire cost of your trip?
    the cost on the intrepid is all inclusive. do you tip on the all included costs too?
    20% for the service is reasonable
    are the trip and the costs of the trip considered part of the service in long range vs a vacation
    where do you draw the line between the cost of the trip and the service provided
    does the cost of the trip include the skipper
    or is he providing a service just like at a restaurant
    or are you willing to pay extra for the right boat and the right skipper and have an expectation/ then tip on performance beyond the cost of your trip and or expectation
    do you give the jackpot to the skipper or the crew or both if they make it possible for you to catch the fish when you otherwise would not have. they save the fish for you
    so you pay the extra for he boat and the trip and the bait/do you tip on the extra that you paid?

Upvote 0

dinko

Almost A Member
    Jul 13, 2009
    long beach, calif
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    excel
    many times you see long range fishing compared to taking a vacation
    maybe you go to an all inclusive resort
    do you tip the airline
    do you tip the ticket counter
    do you tip the porter at the curb
    do you tip the hotel
    do you tip your cabie
    do you tip your servers
    do you tip your bell man
    do you tip any of them based upon the cost of your entire trip?
    do you tip the redshirts
    do you tip them based upon the entire cost of your trip?
    the cost on the intrepid is all inclusive. do you tip on the all included costs too?
    20% for the service is reasonable
    are the trip and the costs of the trip considered part of the service in long range vs a vacation
    where do you draw the line between the cost of the trip and the service provided
    does the cost of the trip include the skipper
    or is he providing a service just like at a restaurant
    or are you willing to pay extra for the right boat and the right skipper and have an expectation/ then tip on performance beyond the cost of your trip and or expectation
    do you give the jackpot to the skipper or the crew or both if they make it possible for you to catch the fish when you otherwise would not have. they save the fish for you
    so you pay the extra for he boat and the trip and the bait/do you tip on the extra that you paid?

Upvote 0

dinko

Almost A Member
    Jul 13, 2009
    long beach, calif
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    excel
    20 % of cost of trip automatic..also, after i get settled in, on day 1, i'll usually give a $50 bill to a couple of the deckhands, just to start trip off with good vibes.. if i am fortunate to win any part of the jackpot ( which has only happened once ) that also goes to the crew.. i'm not rolling in $$$ by any stretch of the imagination , but these guys work harder than hell to make the trip a success, especially the boat i ride. the Excel .. right now let's all just keep the victims of the nightclub murders and those affected by the terrible fires here in calif. in our thoughts and prayers

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    if you realllllly want to talk about the art of tipping? when was the last time you tipped the girls in the office who sign you in and assign your room to you? this about that? where are you going to sleep and with who for the next 2 weeks?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    if you realllllly want to talk about the art of tipping? when was the last time you tipped the girls in the office who sign you in and assign your room to you? this about that? where are you going to sleep and with who for the next 2 weeks?
    I do it all the time. Even tip the Red Shirts. I just deduct it from the Crew Tip.....(just kidding).

Upvote 0