tip the crew asshole!!!!!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by trunk777, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I give it to the captain and crew in exchange for a hat and t-shirt. I like both swag and good karma. I'm not offended if someone keeps it as long as they do tip well.

2. downtime

downtime Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ronson
    Boat:
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    Tip hmmm is a tip.
    If the jackpot should go to the crew that is not a jackpot or a tip it is a surcharge.
    All u that say it should all go to the crew obviously have too much money.
    A jackpot is like gambling...do u tip the dealer in Vegas all your winnings?

mike82 likes this.
  3. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    IMAGINE THE SERVICE ONE MIGHT RECEIVE IF GETTING TIPPED WASN'T A FOREGONE CONCLUSION.

4. yo-mama

yo-mama Member

Name:
    ja
    Boat:
    magic
  5. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Every year just like clockwork.We have the tipping thread and the jackpot thread.
    This year we get it all done in one. Hallelujah.

6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    And the firecracker yellowtail thread, Mike!

MikeeDaGuy and plj46 like this.
  7. Yakhunter

Yakhunter Newbie

Name:
    B-
    Boat:
    Looking
    At least 50% of jackpot to crew, and that is only after all of your other cost are paid complete.

GN88, MikeeDaGuy and Dozeroperator like this.
  8. Bigpondonly

Bigpondonly Bloodydecks Seafood Co.

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Parker 2120
    It coincides with the "Post Fred Hall" annual membership drive. Stay tuned for the following threads....
    1. "Can my boat make it to the _____?"
    2. "What do I need to fish Mex waters?"
    3. "What rod for a ____ reel?"
    4. "What reel for ___ rod?"
    I always like the Boat: "Yours" answer....No, definitely not mine, I can assure you.

9. bloodfart

bloodfart gentleman asshole

san di egg oh (translation: a whale's vagina)
    Name:
    BF
    Boat:
    yours
    the paddy etiquette thread is just around the corner I think...maybe we should add it to this one too?

something something it's my paddy cause I licked it and ...blah blah blah...

10. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    I was on the trip and spent some time with the guy who caught the WSB. I am confident that he made his tip decision out of ignorance. He told me he had only been saltwater fishing a few times but really liked it. This might have been his first overnight trip. At one point I helped when he got a backlash. He was a nice guy but in my opinion he simply did not know the established tipping norms that us seasoned angler understand.

I feel bad that I did not connect the dots and offer that information to him on the way back. I could have and would have if I had thought about it.

Trust me, he is not a dick, not a cheapskate or any of the other comments offered. He was simply ignorant.

Next time (and there will be a next time) I will make the effort to explain to obvious novice angler who wins the JB that "tipping is always a personal choice but on sportfishing boats the norm is starting at 15% of the fare and the JB is usually 50% of the value or more, but all of this is adjusted up or down based on the service you feel you received from the crew and what you can afford."

I now feel bad that I did not offer this on Wednesday, I could have.

Luke

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    DPevin, charliecat, ZHALVAJE and 3 others like this.
  11. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    What's interesting is that tips originally were designed to be given before service was rendered to insure proper service.. hence the term "tips"...
    It has been flipped to become either a compliment or an insult based on ones opinion of the true meaning..

12. ror_sal

ror_sal "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    depends on the trip and crew. I usually never was in the jackpot cause I was a 0 ticket. Those guys do work hard, most the time. some are assholes. If someone wins jackpot and had to spend a lot of money for the trip in the first place (relatively) then tip the crew a few bucks and pocket some to make up for the dent you just put in your bank account to get out there. I mean those 1/2 and 3/4 guys work hard, but not that hard. Its not rocket science and only a little labor intensive compared to what we do in construction, and I've never seen a tip once. Those guys are getting paycheck and the fish cleaning scrilla is kept by the crew. If someone says they dont make enough without tips, get a better job.

13. ror_sal

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    side note, as soon as i see a deckhand throw his ciggy butt in the water, no tip

Matt Roy, BigIron53, DMAN233 and 6 others like this.
  14. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Many jobs factor in tips as wages.. a lot of servers get minimum wage and tips without which they could not do that job.. most deckhands on 3/4 day boats get a base salary of $75 to $100 per day and tips are the only way to get above minimum wage for a 14 hour day...

hanapah and Dozeroperator like this.
  15. ror_sal

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    I get it, I worked a fuel dock for a little while making $8 an hour and tips where pretty much necessary. But you cant count on them, which is why I moved on to a better job. Just saying, if tips are make or break for ya, Id start educating myself in a better trade. I just think some people forget that when they have a customer on the boat, that most the time the MFer works hard for their money also and cant just be handing out freebies cause you did your job. So as i totally agree with you, you aint gettin extra if you aint doin extra

Ol'DirtyBastard likes this.
  16. fujirose

fujirose Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl
    Tips weren't always designed to insure proper (I've heard 'prompt') service beforehand. How would a diner know how much to tip before knowing what was ordered? Unlike a service captain or theater usher, who may 'expect' a tip for better seating.

I have won a few jackpots over the years. And I tip in accordance with the performance of the crew. And if I win the JP, I may add to my tip accordingly. It is my choice. I have even tipped individual crew members additionally, face-to-face, when I feel that their performance added exceptionally to my enjoyment of the trip and the policy was that tips were equally split amongst the crew. Even if my "secret tip" is eventually added to the "split", at least that crew member knew that I appreciated his/her efforts.

This is a private and service related industry. To those who feel that this is part of a liberal movement, I ask when was the last time you tried to tip a government service worker? That could be considered graft and frowned upon, at least on the west coast, and a violation of personnel rules of conduct.

17. polfishski

polfishski Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    I wonder what the customer response would be if this were posted in an auto repair facility. Dear valuable customers upon paying your bill today keep in mind that a 20% tip is customary on the labor portion of your bill. Our Technicians worked very hard on your vehicle sometimes busting there knuckles and exposing themselves to so many cancer causing chemicals so you don't have to walk or bum a ride. Thank you The Management

18. ror_sal

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    This is exactly what im talking about. You dont get pat on the back for doing your job. You do if you go above and beyond everyday.

Ol'DirtyBastard likes this.
  19. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    The older I get the more I require a big comfortable boat to float on
    I always wonder about the guys who say they'd give all JP money to the crew AND pay for their galley tabs, fishing cleaning PLUS additional tips on top from their own pockets. That's some kind of Jedi mind trick spewed online to me. LOL

Personally, whenever I win the JP, I pay for my galley and fish cleaning tabs and give them the rest. I figure the $5 or $10 I invested in the JP has to yield some type of reward if I win. Otherwise, it's a pretty dumb investment.

20. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    "Fight for $15!!!!"

bparker1225 and Dozeroperator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.