TIP OF THE WEEK - Private Boat Etiquette

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Dave Hansen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jaydog

Jaydog Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Mako 19'
    Good info Dave. Out of the tons of reports and helpful tips that Dave has given on BD the tip thingy was the only one that I felt was a bit askew. And that's way more than I can say for alot of my good friends that write worthless shit on this site all day everyday.

2. gernsey

gernsey [img]http://www.bloodydec

Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Channel Islands Ca.
    Name:
    Matt Gerns
    Boat:
    36' uniflite pilot"fresh one",21' anderson greenuogh "Liv alittle"
    Whats your advice when sprort boats come up your stern and drive circles around you when you have been anchored and catching fish for a couple days.Most of the sport boats are respectful but just like some private boaters there are a few Captains who who could care less.This is a serious question and it happens to me a few times a year.I would be interested you opinion.You have some great info in these posts.Thanks,Gernsey.

3. Ripnsumlip

Ripnsumlip Hooooook upppppp!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Edgewater 265CC
    Hey Eric,

If a sporty pulled up that close to me, I'm gunna pass my net to them with a note. " I'll take 2 beers 2 cheese burgers and a couple cokes.....:-)"

4. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    With the amount of slugs you caught last year...it's kind of hard to blame them. :D

5. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Thanks Dave, I really enjoy the advice & look forward to it.

6. 4bruce

4bruce Member

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    goldfish
    all his tip of the week are good. except last week. thank for all the tip dave.

7. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Very good tip of the week !

8. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Good dope there Dave
    Thanks

9. Dave Hansen

Dave Hansen Yoursaltwaterguide.com Advertiser

Name:
    Dave Hansen
    Boat:
    WILD IN SAC
    We can not fix the guys that act like that. What you will find is that they are all kind of going away.I think its karma and the economy.Its not like the days when you just went on a boat the captains and crews have to be all they can be now.That my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  10. Fin Fever

Fin Fever Newbie

Name:
    Johannes
    Boat:
    44 Pacifica
    This is very good advice. I make sure to give the bait barge guy a $20 every time. Now he sees me coming and I think he makes sure I get good bait an plenty of it, plus any good info he might think he has.

also x2 on the not sharing other guys paddys. chances are they are just about done fishing it when I get there because the fish have moved on.

these are all very good tips Dave, thanks, I tip my hat to you, and I know first hand that your "tip of the week posts" are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your fishing know how. I learned alot from you on the trips you did on the fin fever. When it comes to fishing, it is all about the little tricks which can tip the scales in your favor.

really though, thanks, the advice you give is great. Thanks and please keep it coming.

and now I tip my glass to you!

11. Fin Fever

Fin Fever Newbie

Name:
    Johannes
    Boat:
    44 Pacifica
    This is very good advice. I make sure to give the bait barge guy a $20 every time. Now he sees me coming and I think he makes sure I get good bait an plenty of it, plus any good info he might think he has.

also x2 on the not sharing other guys paddys. chances are they are just about done fishing it when I get there because the fish have moved on.

these are all very good tips Dave, thanks, I tip my hat to you, and I know first hand that your "tip of the week posts" are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your fishing know how. I learned alot from you on the trips you did on the fin fever. When it comes to fishing, it is all about the little tricks which can tip the scales in your favor.

really though, thanks, the advice you give is great. Thanks and please keep it coming.

and now I tip my glass to you!

12. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Spot on!
    I love you...I really do.

13. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Solid as always Dave. I see guys anchor around the partyboats and just scratch my head. I know it can get very detailed but might I suggest a tip of the week for private boaters and how to properly set up on structure. A description of what different kinds of things represent structure would be helpful like kelp-line, submerged kelp-lines, hard structure etc. and where said structure is in relationship to an anchored boat position.

I hear guys say, "We set up next to the partyboat but didn't catch anything." That's generally because the structure holding the fish is directly behind the partyboat and your baits are nowhere near the structure that's DIRECTLY BEHIND the partyboat.

Just some basic "setting up on structure" stuff might help a whole lot of guys out.

Kudos on the off-shore advice. BE polite folks, karma is a biacth on the high seas. I would add if we see a paddy infested with boats we will look for the boat farthest away from the paddy, even up to a mile or more away, if that boat is in the similar drift as the other boats. I have seen paddy fish leave the paddy and stay with the first boat(s) on the paddy as they drift away from the paddy more than a few times. I've been the boat the fish stayed with many times. :)

I will look at radio fish if the situation is right (slow in my area, no signal. no life) and the numbers are within a few miles of my position. The last time I did that it ended up being 14' aluminum with one angler and his limit of 30-40# YFT lined up along his bow with tails sticking up. His handheld radio signal was so faint....he was 4 miles away.

As we got close enough to make a visual it looked like a man standing on the water. As we got closer we could see he was so loaded with fish he wasn't 10" above the waterline. He was stoked to call us in on a wide-open multi-hour drift. After he released a couple more fish he just drove off into the horizon leaving us all alone.

The fishing was sick....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqu0j5d3kSs[/ame]

Keep up the great work Dave!!

14. CaptnJD

CaptnJD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Skipjack 25, "BREAKAWAY" & CABO 35 "REEL AQUASITION"
    Great advice Capt Dave! Now if we can get 90% of the ass hats out there to follow said advice it SURE would make a day of fishin offshore a lot more like it out to be. JD

15. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I kinda disagree.
    I think that the fact that 95% of anglers being kooks gives guys with skills a chance. In an area this populated I'm grateful that most people follow the sportboats and the sportboats are a sea lion magnet.....:waglleybooty::waglleybooty:

16. halibutfloss

halibutfloss Newbie

Name:
    John C
    Boat:
    19ft Trophy CC
    Tip the bait barge guys up front every time.
    Most important tip of all...never ever log on to eBay or trim your facial hair when your drinking tequila. just don't.

17. CALICO SPECIAL

CALICO SPECIAL Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Sunbird Neptune C.C.
    Hey just solid good advice and wish everyone who has a boat would follow some of it always

18. CaptnJD

CaptnJD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Skipjack 25, "BREAKAWAY" & CABO 35 "REEL AQUASITION"
    Funny Carl, I was thinking the same thing. Now I won't have as much "Clean water" if the Zombies fan out.....

19. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy

:rofl: :rofl: That was funny. :-)

20. gernsey

gernsey [img]http://www.bloodydec

Puerto Vallarta Mexico and Channel Islands Ca.
    Name:
    Matt Gerns
    Boat:
    36' uniflite pilot"fresh one",21' anderson greenuogh "Liv alittle"
    Your a wise man Dave,thank you for the reply.We all have to be the best we can be.