plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Fish eat what you offer them.My biggest largemouth (9 lbs. 2 oz.) was caught on a crappie shiner on 6 lb. test.I caught a 30 lb. halibut while targeting rockfish with a small strip of squid.

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
I kinda agree with the big bait theory although I've caught lots of fish like blue marlin on small
feathers and albacore on a bare #6 hook. The reason for big baits is to discourage smaller fish from trying to take them thus giving more exposure time for really big fish to have a good meal. Also, most of us anglers have probably come across big floaters with huge fish caught in their mouths that they can't swallow. Big appetites can get fish in trouble eating big prey but overall I'd say that's an exception to the rule. All I know is that when we want really big roosters, etc. we use big baits like live black skipjack to increase our chances. When those baits are taken you just know it's something big.

Upvote 0

mrbigfish43

Licensed Captain
Aug 8, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
1996 Grady White 268 Islander
Anyone remember the offshore bite this last summer(2014) off SD. The tuna and dorado were on micro-bait much of the time. One trip anchovy was the ticket. Next trip it was 10 to 12 inch Macks. Very frustrating at times. Then there was the lack of bait at the receivers.

Thank God for megabaits.

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
I kinda agree with the big bait theory although I've caught lots of fish like blue marlin on small
feathers and albacore on a bare #6 hook. The reason for big baits is to discourage smaller fish from trying to take them thus giving more exposure time for really big fish to have a good meal. Also, most of us anglers have probably come across big floaters with huge fish caught in their mouths that they can't swallow. Big appetites can get fish in trouble eating big prey but overall I'd say that's an exception to the rule. All I know is that when we want really big roosters, etc. we use big baits like live black skipjack to increase our chances. When those baits are taken you just know it's something big.

Exactly! Hard to catch the big ones when your bait is in the mouth of a small one. Or worse yet, a trash fish you were not even targeting.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Vast majority of my DD bass have come on crawdads, typically 2".

Biggest blue marlin, which I only saluted, bit a D4 Doorknob in a pattern filled with larger lures.

I married a pair of A-cups, because gravity always wins.

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
What can we catch with this thing?.......

uploadfromtaptalk1420433759152.jpg

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

I agree with the big bait theory for coastal fish, but not pelagic. If you are fishing a 10" mackerel on a dropper lupe, you're likely increasing your odds of the larger predator being "able" to take on a large bait, as the smaller predators focus on something they can get in their mouth. Hoping to confirm this theory next week!

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Dave has the copy right on "Tip of the Day" and "Tip of the Month"

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
177211-1398793732-ed1ca965ea92a01a233bd60b1c0e7cea.jpg

4" sardine.

as well as several 50-100 pound Black Sea Bass.

Upvote 0