Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Hi Guys,

Leaving in April on a 16 dayer on the Indy. Last trip, I took some 250G glow in the dark flatfall jigs and added a 9/0 7691 hooks instead of the two assist hooks.

Because the 7691 has a long shank, the hook would snag the line.

I got some Mustad Kaiju hooks and the shank is much shorter.

I think I answered my own question, the hook would be diagonal to the jig and let's see how It works.

Thanks,

Harddrive

Last edited:

ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Those hooks look Badass. It probably won't make a difference as long as the hook is free swinging and can find somewhere to grab..

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
My buddy and I fish all the time and our hooks are complete opposites from each other and we catch the same amount of fish...

Reactions: caveman

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Why not just use better assist hooks?

The jig was designed to have them why not just beef them up?

Reactions: Tim Turis

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
I did some swimming pool testing and found that flat falls drop (mostly) eye-side down. It made sense to me to have the hook point facing away from the eye so that when you pull your lure upward after a tuna inhales it, it will be more likely to gain purchase in the upper jaw area.

This picture should tell the story.

640402CA-4FFA-4ADF-9451-EAF34C564BD8.jpeg

Edit: I see now that you are using in-lines, so your hook will sit along the plane...I’d be interested in how that performs.

Last edited:

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
Jan 21, 2014
Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
Name
Shon
Boat
Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
I did some swimming pool testing and found that flat falls drop (mostly) eye-side down. It made sense to me to have the hook point facing away from the eye so that when you pull your lure upward after a tuna inhales it, it will be more likely to gain purchase in the upper jaw area.

View attachment 910906

Edit: I see now that you are using in-lines, so your hook will sit along the plane...I’d be interested in how that performs.
Ummm your collection is not complete, your missing ten anchovy colored flatfalls!! :frehya2:

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I don’t think it matters. The boat I fish on said to put as many hooks as you can fit on it. They eat anything and everything when they want it.

Reactions: Shon and T.O.T.W.

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Wow, thanks for the picture. Thanks. I will do some experimenting on my trip. Hooks along the plane and also vertical.

View attachment 910906

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
Sep 9, 2004
West LA
Name
Min
Boat
None
Also, BTW which hooks are you using?

View attachment 910906

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I rig mine the same way Chris does his. Same as in pic. I use 7691 and Owner Jobu in 7/0 and 8/0.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Also, BTW which hooks are you using?
Those are all 8/0 Mustad 7691 DTs. I’ve experimented with many...and haven’t really settled on an all-time favorite. Gamakatsu makes a similar hook that I really like, but it’s JDM and very pricey. I’ll have to look up the model. Saltywater Tackle sells them. The two FFs below have gammies, the top is a Shout Kudako.

BF06AA79-DC1B-4475-9981-6E61C5E0CD80.jpeg

Reactions: ripped