Advertiser
Jun 17, 2014
Oviedo FL
www.americantackle.us
Name
Don Morse
Boat
Line Em' Up
Okay guys and gals... here is the official release and rules for the 2021 International Rod Building Challenge.

2021 International Rod Building Challenge hosted by American Tackle puts the world’s best custom fishing rod crafters against each other to find out who is the top builder in the world.
Everyone will be starting with the same American Tackle mystery blank. You have to figure out the best way to utilize the blank in your style.

Completed rods will be judged at the International Custom Rod Builders Expo (ICRBE) in Winston Salem NC, USA on February 27th, 2021. Judges will be announced no later than 1 week before the Expo begins. All judges will judge all entries.

The mystery blank is purchased through American Tackle direct for $70 in the US and $90 international with shipping included. You may purchase up to 3 blanks at this time. Each additional blank is $50. A second order for AT components may be made directly with American Tackle after the blank is received. You will receive a considerable discount on the components.

· You must use at least 50% of the mystery blank provided
· Build the rod as you think it should be built
· Rods will be graded on overall appearance and functionality
· No social media posting of your work before the competition.

Points will be awarded in a 1-10 format on the following areas.
· Appearance
· Functionality
· Grips
· Guide Placement
· Guide Straightness
· Threadwork
· Finish Application
· Cleanliness
· Design
· Choice and flow of components
· Innovation
· Handle Design

Trophies will be awarded for places first, second and third. First place will also receive a $500 gift certificate from American Tackle.

For questions or to purchase blanks and components contact Don Morse at American Tackle 407-706-0321, ext. 1207

* If you are not able to attend ICRBE, rods can be shipped to AT -received no later than 2/1/21
** If ICRBE 2021 is cancelled, the competition will be held virtually. If this is the case, we will be asking for close up clear pictures and video of many areas of the rod so the judges can score the rod accordingly.

Rod-Builder-Challenge-FB-1pg.jpg

bhetzel

Mar 5, 2011
Raleigh/NC/USA
Name
Brad Hetzel
Boat
No Biggie
Great to see American Tackle is taking this over. Can’t wait to see these rods on display this next ICRBE. Best rod builders from all over the world have competed in this contest for several years now.

billa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 27, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Name
Bill
Boat
20' NorthRiver.
IMHO if the ICRBE were cancelled next Feb., it hardly seems appropriate that rods would be voted on based on photos alone. If that were the case then a person's camera skills could come more into play, or the quality of their lighting and camera quality could have an unfair advantage to an extent. The advantage would go to the better photographer to an extent. Also a person may use a little photo shop to clean up any imperfections.
It seems to me that whoever is judging would have the rods shipped to them to even the playing field for everyone. Your 12 points of evaluation are going to come down to some very fine details. How do you evaluate those things virtually?

Don @ American Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jun 17, 2014
Oviedo FL
www.americantackle.us
Name
Don Morse
Boat
Line Em' Up
IMHO if the ICRBE were cancelled next Feb., it hardly seems appropriate that rods would be voted on based on photos alone. If that were the case then a person's camera skills could come more into play, or the quality of their lighting and camera quality could have an unfair advantage to an extent. The advantage would go to the better photographer to an extent. Also a person may use a little photo shop to clean up any imperfections.
It seems to me that whoever is judging would have the rods shipped to them to even the playing field for everyone. Your 12 points of evaluation are going to come down to some very fine details. How do you evaluate those things virtually?

Great questions billa, we have thought about the same points. If the show is cancelled (we hope not because it is a great show) we will have the entrants send specific photos and video that the judges panel will require. From all of the entrants we will ask the top 10 to be sent to American Tackle where we will have the Central Florida judges have hands on and our in house photographer will send pictures to the judges out of the area. We will also zoom with the out of area judges so they can get closer looks at areas of concern.

I hope that clears up any concerns.

Good Luck!

AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
^^^this...if there's a way to cheap, somebody will find it...and use it.