FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So the RR3 and Independence are leaving Hurricane Bank for Clarion due to slow fishing. Is it time one of the long range boats checks out the Lower Banks? Sounded like fishing was pretty good there this fall and temperatures are holding.

During the last Moderate El Nino in January of 2010 fishing was pretty good on the Lower Banks.

http://www.wonews.com/t-SCSaltReport_hayward_012810.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: reel man

rccalhoun

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 30, 2009
san jose ca
Name
bob
Boat
none yet
the excel is doing well---they are in the lower zone (where exactly is that?)

Last edited:

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I was at the lower banks 2 weeks ago. Only 1 fish over 100lb .... it was 140lb. We then made a move to the buffer zone and did good. That place is a hit and miss IMO. We fished potato bank and another one. I would rather fish the buffer zone or HB bank. Those places can open up at any time. But then again so can the lower banks...but its not time yet.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Soda Pop,

Thanks for the education. I have only fished Hurricane and the buffer zone for cows. They can definitely be off and on. They can also get a little crowded. On my first trip we plugged the boat and drove away from 100 lbers. chewing the paint off the hull at the bank. Did not know how lucky I was to have had that sort of experience. Now I am nervous that I will be paying my dues soon.

Just getting wound up as my trip approaches, late January departure.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
the excel is doing well---they are in the lower zone (where exactly is that?)
Justin uses the term "lower zone" for the Bank and Buffer Zone. Lower Banks sometimes referred to as "fishing the beach"

Fishrock, plenty of time for the season to continue to develop. Longer trip, lower zone. Shorter trips like 8-11 days, take advantage of the lower banks if the fish go on the chew.

Reactions: bbuck and Bill W

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Lower banks offshore relate to the California Current and the Equitorial Current intersecting off Mag Bay. This creates upwelling that feeds a large nursery for sardines. However the commercial up scaling of sardine fishing has been going on in the last few years. No baitfish, no tuna.

http://www.seawatch.org/newsroom/mag_bay/Magdalena_Bay_en_orig.pdf