Offshore time to fish

PENN

huntindog

Almost A Member
Aug 17, 2010
philbrook lake, CA
This has been a rough year. Two months ago my 8 year old son Wyatt passed away from a very short battle with cancer. He literally pitched a no hitter in little league on Thursday night, was diagnosed on Saturday and died on Tuesday. I have not stopped crying very often. He was an amazing kid. He loved life, loved fishing, hunting and baseball and he was everything to me. So yes it has been rough. Next Tuesday my oldest son shane and I are heading out on the First String for two days and I cannot wait. it is our annual trip down there from Chico. This was going to be Wyatt's first year to chase pelagic fish and he wanted a dorado bad, he has pretty much caught everything else there is to catch in northern California so he was ready. (that is him spear fishing last year at Catalina) It is going to be sad but I will be with Shane. Anyway, just need to say that this last two months, reading bloody decks and dreaming of fish has been good for me. It keeps my my mind off of the pain and the sadness. Now I look forward to some ocean therapy and hopefully bringing home some fish for the freezer. Hopefully I meet some of you guys on the boat.

wyattfish.jpg 20140718_170437.jpg

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Hey Huntindog (I'll call you that for now),

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your son Wyatt. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you, but posting the news of your son's passing with a majority of people who are a lot like you and I will prove to be a good thing. We are all sort of brothers (and sisters) of different mothers. I too am trying to muscle through my emotions when my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few weeks ago, and there really is no easy way to handle it. Only God our Savior can bring the love and comfort between us all that we so desperately need.

I hope you and Shane will have a fabulous and meaningful trip in Wyatts honor. Chances are you will have a great time catching big Dorado and you can both have time to reflect on your memories of Wyatt. The First String is a great boat and you will certainly be taken care of.

All the best - Steve

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
I can understand what you're going through. I lost one at 13 months old over ten years ago, who never left the hospital. I was thankful for the 13 months as many others we encountered didn't make it that long. Good luck on your trip as i hope it is some much needed therapy

Reactions: Danthefishman
Upvote 0

longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    That was a tough read I'm so sorry for your loss and can't even imagine what you and your family has gone through. I hope you and your son have a great trip and you get that big dorado in your sons honor.

God bless bro

Upvote 0

huntindog

Almost A Member
    Aug 17, 2010
    philbrook lake, CA
    Hey Huntindog (I'll call you that for now),

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your son Wyatt. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you, but posting the news of your son's passing with a majority of people who are a lot like you and I will prove to be a good thing. We are all sort of brothers (and sisters) of different mothers. I too am trying to muscle through my emotions when my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few weeks ago, and there really is no easy way to handle it. Only God our Savior can bring the love and comfort between us all that we so desperately need.

I hope you and Shane will have a fabulous and meaningful trip in Wyatts honor. Chances are you will have a great time catching big Dorado and you can both have time to reflect on your memories of Wyatt. The First String is a great boat and you will certainly be taken care of.

All the best - Steve
    thanks Steve, looking forward to the trip.

Brooks Taylor :)

Upvote 0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Jamul
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    '78 Ski Tique family wagon, Sporties, Father Inlaw.
    That is the worst scenario as a parent, could not imagine. I extend my deepest condolences and am going to call my kids right after this post, since I work out of town. Best of luck fishing may his spirit be with you and his brother.

Reactions: ScaleyOne
    Upvote 0

Chrisben

Almost A Member
    Sep 6, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    none
    Man, my deepest sympathy for what you and your family have endured. It takes a lot of strength to move forward and focus positive things...hope this fishing trip will be a positive thing.
    Chris

Reactions: ScaleyOne
    Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Bertram Bahia Mar
    Someone is cutting onions in this office.....geez.....I could only imagine your loss.
    I have a one year old and it would rip my heart out to see her go. God Bless you and your family through these tough times.

Reactions: ScaleyOne and Mick
    Upvote 0

ediggity

Almost A Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Name
    Edwin
    You're living every parent's worst nightmare... and you are surviving it for your son. No one ever said life was easy, but what you are going through is beyond what anyone can imagine or deserves.

Thank you for sharing the story... I'll hug my daughter extra tight and try to remember to stay patient. We never really know how long the ones we love will be with us. It's easy to take it for granted.

My heart goes out to you. Never forget - but hang in there. Time will heal these wounds.

Upvote 0

cacahuates

S.K.I.P.
    Apr 19, 2010
    LB
    Name
    Mike Dumalski
    Boat
    Triton 18 SE "RESEARCH"
    I don't really know that I have words to express my feelings. I have two little boys (1 and 3) and I can't actually fathom the scenario you described. I wish peace and comfort for you and your family. Hopefully you and Shane have a great time and cry a couple joyful tears for Wyatt when he guides your baits to all the hungry Dorado you're sure to encounter on your trip. I'm glad you're going to get some quality time with Shane and I'm rooting for you guys to get 'em good. Take care of yourself as your family is going to need you strong for the time being. I hope sharing here has helped you in some small way.

Upvote 0

tunastryker25

Almost A Member
    May 14, 2007
    OC
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Triton 2486 WA
    I am a father of two (7 and 4 yrs old) and your story is every parents worst nightmare... thanks for sharing. May you and your son Shane have a blessed fishing trip while keeping memories of the good times you all had together. Btw, my freezer is full of fresh fish from this season and you are welcome to stop by my house any time and help yourself. Cancer sucks!!!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Oh man...... this post hit's deep within the soul!! Wow, that was a really tough read for me..... real tough!! It's good to talk about these things on occasion though, so never be afraid to talk about it to whomever will listen. My heart and thoughts are with you, your son Shane, and the rest of your family. I have been through my share of crazy losses far too often for the past 7 years.

Times like this are when I wish I owned a big boat, because I would invite you and your boy Shane out right now!

Get out there with Shane, go have a great time and never forget that little warrior of yours named Wyatt!

Thanks for sharing ...... stay strong!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Kayak
    "Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the worlds great flood and runs over the rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs." - Maclean

I wish you the best fishing, brother. I hope it helps as I can not and do not want to imagine your grief and heartache.

Your post has made a difference in my day and my life. I will hold my little girls tighter tonight and have more patience tomorrow.

"I am haunted by waters."

Upvote 0

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
  • Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Yeah Baybee!
    Very sorry for your loss.
    Glad the forum has helped some, and best of luck with Shane on the First String!

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    I couldn't get passed the first sentence without getting choked up thinking about my son and daughter (on her way). I extremely sorry for your loss. I hope when you get out there your hardship and anguish can be replaced with good memories of time spent with your little guy. Nothing will replace him so share his good soul with everyone you can.

Upvote 0

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
  • May 28, 2015
    Name
    RIP Jim Peterson
    Boat
    Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Since
    my father past away 3 years ago to a stroke,
    I make it a point to go fishing around his birthday (8/4) every year.
    That's what he would want..So far so good with each trip I've caught fish.
    Good Luck on the 1st String!

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
    Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    WORKING ON IT.
    I hope you guys stack em for Wyatt
    Blessing