Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
For several years people were told we were out of business. The difference is now we tell our own story.

come by the factory anytime!

boat yard.jpg

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
What are you expanding, would love to see you bring the 28'er back with a 10' beam, twin D4/320's and straight shafts.

That would be the ultimate Southern California trailer boat.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
What are you expanding, would love to see you bring the 28'er back with a 10' beam, twin D4/320's and straight shafts.

Were not really fans of the D4. to get the horsepower you have a super charger in front of the turbo. It goes out a lot and is an expensive repair. Also it cost the same as a D6 because they charge for horse power and they push them because the make the money.

If I had a complaint about the 28's they are skinny. A 10ft beam would be cool but hard to trailer. The 30 has a ton of room and rides like a PT Boat.

I think in that class its hard to beat it. I pushed for a 33ft but Nick is looking to develop a 50ft class boat(45-55 ft.)

In the 30 we can put in D4 engines but again prefer not to but it would run well on even smaller D4 engines. I think we have paired lower 200hp engines in them with good results.

Have a great day,
BigMike

Reactions: samotlietuvis

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Were not really fans of the D4. to get the horsepower you have a super charger in front of the turbo. It goes out a lot and is an expensive repair. Also it cost the same as a D6 because they charge for horse power and they push them because the make the money.

If I had a complaint about the 28's they are skinny. A 10ft beam would be cool but hard to trailer. The 30 has a ton of room and rides like a PT Boat.

I think in that class its hard to beat it. I pushed for a 33ft but Nick is looking to develop a 50ft class boat(45-55 ft.)

In the 30 we can put in D4 engines but again prefer not to but it would run well on even smaller D4 engines. I think we have paired lower 200hp engines in them with good results.

Have a great day,
BigMike
Funny you would say that about the 30'er, When I look a Skipjack boats here is what I see.
Make the 26'er available with a single outboard(Suzuki 350 duo prop), create a 29'er something like the Phoenix 29, market it on a trailer, expand the 30 to a 33 with a 12' beam.
Lots of trailer boats with 10' or greater beam around now, most of the thinking that when into the 28' Skipjack (beam) are now outdated.
Lots of capable tow vehicles now available, 10' permits pretty common.
You have the Southern California trailer boat at your fingertips, you have the credible reputation and market attention, slip fee are terrible expensive and hard to find, lots of boaters ready to go bigger on a trailer, don't let the opportunity pass you by.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkipJack Boats

SkipTown

Just A Regular Guy
  • Apr 24, 2011
    Newport Beach, CA
    www.interseller.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Skipjack 28
    28'er is skinny, for sure. Skinny's also fast & efficient. But yeah - a wide-beam trailerable would be fantastic, especially if you can rent storage at the launch ramp.
    Expand and grow and let's start a blog - among other communications - on that website. I'd love to help.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I think a 24’ open with the Farallon style pilothouse would do very well with either a diesel or outboard.
    We are prototyping a 24 open with a door and built in bracket. Try to get Nick to put a pilot house on it would be a great idea but so far he doesn't want to.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Funny you would say that about the 30'er, When I look a Skipjack boats here is what I see.
    Make the 26'er available with a single outboard(Suzuki 350 duo prop), create a 29'er something like the Phoenix 29, market it on a trailer, expand the 30 to a 33 with a 12' beam.
    Lots of trailer boats with 10' or greater beam around now, most of the thinking that when into the 28' Skipjack (beam) are now outdated.
    Lots of capable tow vehicles now available, 10' permits pretty common.
    You have the Southern California trailer boat at your fingertips, you have the credible reputation and market attention, slip fee are terrible expensive and hard to find, lots of boaters ready to go bigger on a trailer, don't let the opportunity pass you by.
    Well I do agree about slip fees. My Bavaria 38 was over 700.00 a month. I had to sell it. I like storage at the ramp idea.
    But where I live a 10' beam is too hard to tow and I would need a diesel 350 to tow it.
    We wouldn't make a 29 only because the30 is still being built and sold but I would like a boat between the 30 and 38. A 34 ft would be great.
    We would have to have it designed by a good designer like the 38 had (Bob King) when a boat get bigger it needs to be more engineered and less eyeball design.
    That mid thirties is a great size as like the Cabo 35 express and flybridge. Both fantastic boats. Our 380 is one of the best riding Sport Fishers I've ever been on but at about a million it's hard for very many to afford. The 30 is less then half of that.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack

The big problem we have is we are also Unlimited Performance Product and the two companies are getting crowded. We own the five acres next door and could make another building just to make boats.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Well I do agree about slip fees. My Bavaria 38 was over 700.00 a month. I had to sell it. I like storage at the ramp idea.
    But where I live a 10' beam is too hard to tow and I would need a diesel 350 to tow it.
    We wouldn't make a 29 only because the30 is still being built and sold but I would like a boat between the 30 and 38. A 34 ft would be great.
    We would have to have it designed by a good designer like the 38 had (Bob King) when a boat get bigger it needs to be more engineered and less eyeball design.
    That mid thirties is a great size as like the Cabo 35 express and flybridge. Both fantastic boats. Our 380 is one of the best riding Sport Fishers I've ever been on but at about a million it's hard for very many to afford. The 30 is less then half of that.

24.jpg

SkipTown
    SkipTown
    Can you bring that Sawzall down to Newport Harbor and do this to my Skippy 28? Way cool, can't wait to see the finish.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I think bringing back the 24 is a great idea. I would also love to see something like the 20 open brought back as well, and priced where a blue collar guy can afford. Those would sell like heaters in Alaska!

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
    San Diego
    Name
    TH
    Boat
    17' Avon Searider
    I'm one that thinks 10' or just under is the best thing you can do in a trailerable boat. I'd rather tow 28'x 10' than 35' x 8' (hypothetically, the same square feet, 28 x 10 = 280 = 35 x 8).

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I think bringing back the 24 is a great idea. I would also love to see something like the 20 open brought back as well, and priced where a blue collar guy can afford. Those would sell like heaters in Alaska!
    That was made from an original 20 ft mold and a new transom was added. I want to offer a pilot house as an option but we'll see.

Reactions: tbev and Arima-bob

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Like the east coast it would have been great to have stacked storage and have them in the water when you wanted them.Not going to happen in SoCal now.Tom

Dec 3, 2020
    New Jersey
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Skipjack 262
    If you ever want to sea trial a 262 with O/Bs, I’d be more than happy to give you a sea trial. You just need to visit me in Cape May, NJ. I can’t yet comment on the ride as I haven’t had both engines working yet. It is capable of planing with one 200hp etec though!

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I hope those big boats will keep you in business,You are really limited by who is able to afford them.
    I would think a 24 with a pilothouse like farallon used to make with a few different engine options would be a best seller here in socal,Hell even a 20 with a pilothouse would sell like hotcakes.
    Ohnestly i live very close to the factory and have watched whats going on there for years(not alot) and it seems like they have tried to focus on bigger boats instead of the fishing boats skipjack was known for which i think is a mistake personally.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I hope those big boats will keep you in business,You are really limited by who is able to afford them.
    I would think a 24 with a pilothouse like farallon used to make with a few different engine options would be a best seller here in socal,Hell even a 20 with a pilothouse would sell like hotcakes.
    Ohnestly i live very close to the factory and have watched whats going on there for years(not alot) and it seems like they have tried to focus on bigger boats instead of the fishing boats skipjack was known for which i think is a mistake personally.
    Hey Mark,
    Thanks for referring that fiberglass guy to us.

No I agree with you myself. I'm the one pushing the 24 project but now were selling the big boats too much to focus on it. We can make the room but finding a ton of experienced boat builders in the Mojave Desert is problematic as we as with COVID parts got hard to get. We've done better then most with the parts.

I know where you live since I pass your house on the way home. I'll let you know when we have the wrap party on the 262. We should start the 24 project back up in the next month or two.

Were working on another 30 and next week we may sell another 380. The problem with Skipjack as many people knows for a while they either sat around and waited for orders to come in or had very bad salesman.
    My first three months I sold four boats and the biggest problem was people would say "I thought you went out of business"

They were selling a lot of parts but not the variety of parts that we are working to sell now.

But in general we might sell 5 262s for every 30 and several 30s for every 380 so carrying that forward maybe five 24 OB models for every262. We have some good guys here but a lot of young guys training. Even with that were making some cool improvements to the boats.

Drop by sometime

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I was pushing Nick to start the 24 project yesterday. He said if I get a deposit he will build them.

If I had the money I would jump on one but then I would have H&H make me the pilot house for it.

Nick has almost experience with small boats so he hasn't become a fan of warm and dry like the rest of us.

Reactions: Windy Bay

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
    USA
    Name
    JM
    Boat
    Still Looking
    Naval Architect Lou Codega did a 50’ SF that Sonny Hines was going to build out east as a production boat when he was doing the renowned custom Hines-Farly boats. I had a brochure somewhere and I thought it was about the most perfect 50’ you could get. I think it was being marketed as the “Cutting Horse”, Virginia speak for a maneuverable SF

Never got into production as Sonny had health issues I believe.

Contact him for a guaranteed winner imo, he does the Regulator CC’s and also did the 45, Cabo btw.