Time in RSW

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I've been reading some of the reports from long trips recently, 16 to 18 days. I'm curious how long fish will be good in RSW. Last year, I did a 10-day and we hit BF early a.m. of the second day, all fish for the trip were in RSW. Are they having to freeze fish for some point at the beginning of those long trips?

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I've been reading some of the reports from long trips recently, 16 to 18 days. I'm curious how long fish will be good in RSW. Last year, I did a 10-day and we hit BF early a.m. of the second day, all fish for the trip were in RSW. Are they having to freeze fish for some point at the beginning of those long trips?
I was told 7 days max

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    10 days is the MAX they will keep them in the RSW, any trips longer they freeze. So do the math, 16 day trip, the first 6 days in the freezer. Even a 10 day trip is pushing it. The Boat will need to be on their "A" game when changing the RSW more frequently. Even 10 day trip is pushing it for the RSW, If you head straight to the Ridge and Dont fish for two days (travel) it will work.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
    Westlake Village
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Whaler
    I’ve caught bft and yft on the 2nd day of a 10 day, and the product I’ve gotten back from Fisherman’s Processing has been great. Can’t speak for anything longer than that. The crews on the RP and Indy both did great jobs handling and caring the fish too.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Boats no longer freeze fish we swap out that water and new salt and point it towards home freezing is a thing of the past
    I seen a couple pictures from the recent 16 day on the Indy that just returned and some of the eyes on the fish were hazy/fogged over that looked like they were frozen earlier??? I was on a 10 day last fall and they were freezing fish for a couple days in the beginning of the trip. Even swapping out the water every other day in the RSW for a 10 day trip was pushing it for the quality. If they (L.R. fleet) has a new way to do it and maintain that Fresh caught quality for a 16 day trip. Great for the passengers getting the RSW quality, Instead of being frozen and waiting 2-3 days for the big ones to thaw!!!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    The fish we got about 16 hours+ after departing on our 10-day were BF, all between 70-200. And we only had about a dozen or so. What I've eaten has been great. I would imagine it would be easier to get a few big ones down to temperature pretty quickly, and yeah, keep them there.

I noticed the same thing as Kevina about some of the pics of fish coming back from 16 days trips, why I posted this thread. I figured they did have to freeze some in the first few days of fishing.

And the one fish I probably won't keep at all (unless slow trip and hot bite on last day) is dorado. Fresh, they are great. After a few days in the well, then frozen... not so much.

Upvote 0