time for the pros- whose got a mechanic near Long Beach after I've pissed in the wind.

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    updating the top-
    Found a bad injector which was causing the motor to flood!

boat sat for quite awhile judging by the amount of water in the fuel (motor is yamaha 115 OB)
    went through the boat/motor (drained tank /spark plugs/fuel water separators/checked lower oil/new thermostat/new wiring that still looks shitty). but the problem remains and i just don't have the time to continue tearing this thing apart to figure out what the issue is which if your curious, ill explain below. I would like to do VST/check fuel lines and pressure/fuel pumps/injectors but just don't have the time for this at the moment so looking for a reputable guy/shop with a halfway decent timeline and rate.

the issue:
    boat cold starts fine, runs fine for an hour or so at both idle and full power. on return to slow cruise after rougher waters the motor starts vibrating more than normal and lurching. it then turns to running very rough at which point putting the throttle down does nothing. boat wont even think about speeding up to get on plane. runs as it theres a blockage of fuel. all of this leads me to believe I still have a fuel related issue that I didn't address when i originally went through some of the easier more accessible items. im kicking myself now for not fully changing/cleaning VST and injectors all at the same time. feels like pissing in the wind. which i may or may not have done in my lifetime...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Can't make a recommendation on a mechanic but I have run into a very strange fuel related issue with my inboard motor.

On one of my first trips out on the new skiff, it ran great and then as the day wore on it started sputtering and backfiring. I tried everything, rebuilt the carb, polished the gas, replaced my fuel filters multiple times etc...

Well unknown to me because I couldn't see it, there was a large amount of corrosion on the mating surface for my fuel filter so it wasn't sealing. The only reason I found this is because in my effort to throw money at my problem I decided to replace my cheap water separator / fuel filter with a Racor 660. I couldn't have seen this because it sits below deck and when I look at from above, it looked like it was in decent shape.

The other thing I might take a look at, see if you have an anti-siphon valve. if you do, remove it. (or replace it, but make sure to rule that out, it can cause havoc at times)

1625093963018.jpeg

1625093988487.jpeg

sfhf.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    wow that is pretty strange with the filter not sealing. ive replaced it and it seems to sit pretty good. ill look into the anti siphon dealio to rule that out.

Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
    Orange County
    Name
    One More
    Boat
    Steiger Craft 25
    New to me boat which sat for quite awhile judging by the amount of water in the fuel (motor is yamaha 115 OB)
    went through the boat/motor to the best of my ability (drained tank or so I thought/spark plugs/fuel water separators/checked lower oil/new thermostat/new wiring that still looks shitty). but the problem remains and i just don't have the time to continue tearing this thing apart to figure out what the issue is which if your curious, ill explain below. I would like to do VST/check fuel lines and pressure/fuel pumps/injectors but just don't have the time/expertise for this at the moment so looking for a reputable guy/shop with a halfway decent timeline and rate.

recommendations are welcome!

the issue:
    boat cold starts fine, runs fine for an hour or so at both idle and full power. on return to slow cruise after rougher waters the motor starts vibrating more than normal and lurching. it then turns to running very rough at which point putting the throttle down does nothing. boat wont even think about speeding up to get on plane. runs as it theres a blockage of fuel. all of this leads me to believe I still have a fuel related issue that I didn't address when i originally went through some of the easier more accessible items. im kicking myself now for not fully removing the tank and cleaning it and also for not changing/cleaning VST and injectors all at the same time. feels like pissing in the wind. which i may or may not have done in my lifetime...
    Try an auxiliary fuel tank. If it clears the issue then you still have contaminated fuel in main tank. If the main tank is small or near empty, just drain it all and fill back up with 10 gallons or so and run it.

Reactions: RodRage and airslot
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    on return to slow cruise after rougher waters the motor starts vibrating more than normal and lurching.
    Maybe there is a bunch of crap in the tank that gets stirred up after the "rougher waters"

Upvote 0

Stringer

Idiot Savant
    Jul 7, 2005
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Stringer
    Boat
    25 Skipjack FB
    Also check fuel lines, ethanol can cause swelling internally in some older hoses not designed for it.

Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    all good stuff. thanks everyone for chiming in. i guess i will be finding more time to trouble shoot before calling in the shops.

Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    Maybe there is a bunch of crap in the tank that gets stirred up after the "rougher waters"
    this was my exact thought and not the first time hearing this. unfortunately the tank has about 20 gallons in it or so.

what does everyone do with that new but contaminated gas if thats the case? sell it off to the gardners?

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    If your not seeing much water in the filter after your clean up I would check the VST before doing anything else.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Clean the VST

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    +1 on trying a alternative fuel source

Last edited:
    Reactions: butcherboy
    Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    I’ve got injectors out for flow/clean. I found the VST filter completely disintegrated so that may (I hope) be the culprit.

Reactions: SD2600
    Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    The vst collects debris and sludge on the bottom portion of the tank. Once it’s built up it gets shot into the fuel pump and injectors. Rougher water accelerates this. This is how I know.

F88B22F3-3A55-4710-932D-83B6AA9A3C45.jpeg

A069994F-3676-4DEA-8459-CD0E6B902426.jpeg

Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    vst removed and it was very clean in there except for the filter in pieces.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Name
    Joe Ski
    Boat
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    Fuel injected engines rely on the temperature sensor to the computer for proper fuel injector "on" time. It's fooled many techs in the past. Knowing what I now do, it's one of the things I check first.

Upvote 0

butcherboy

Retired Bum
    Jul 4, 2007
    escondido ca.
    Name
    tom cunningham
    Boat
    Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
    Also look for a "hidden" small fuel filter that sits vertically in the fuel tanks pickup tube. Mine was pencil sized wire mesh and 80% clogged. Unfortunately...one of the last things I checked.

Upvote 0

RuckTard

• Jul 27, 2014
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    6'2" surfboard
    update! found that 1 injector was bad (valve stuck open) which explains why i was lurching and bogging down after running for awhile. engine was getting too much fuel and was flooding. after replacing that injector and then retesting all 4 again, finally had a 100% successful trip without issue. thanks for everyones tips and recommendations.

Upvote 0