bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
I am sure I will be blasted, I am a supporter of hunting when you are hunting to eat what you kill.
I am totally against Trophy hunting of endangered or at risk species and I support any action that deters it. Listen: I said "Trophy". Blind, irresponible responses to support hunting only anger and encourage the wrath of the anti-hunting and anti-fishing factions. The world has become much smaller, if you do not recognize this we all lose. Blast away!

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
No blasting........then we should outlaw fishing for trophy cows too how much fish can you eat? Your killing the breeders.....ect....

We should all stick together and don't limit anyone's right to do something legal as long as science and the population can support it.......just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean no one should enjoy it.

Theirs so much more but just one last point.......you should be more behind the harvesting of mature animals that no longer can breed (some are trophys) and not taking the breeders or young that will be breeding stock in the future......It's a balance that must be obtained and sometimes it's important to take the big boys......Trophys.....who have out lived their usefulness to further the breeding stock.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
No blasting........then we should outlaw fishing for trophy cows too how much fish can you eat? Your killing the breeders.....ect....

We should all stick together and don't limit anyone's right to do something legal as long as science and the population can support it.......just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean no one should enjoy it.

Theirs so much more but just one last point.......you should be more behind the harvesting of mature animals that no longer can breed (some are trophys) and not taking the breeders or young that will be breeding stock in the future......It's a balance that must be obtained and sometimes it's important to take the big boys......Trophys.....who have out lived their usefulness to further the breeding stock.
My one and only response to my post : with fishing there is almost always the option of release, the giant fish that I have caught never a a 200 pounder were completely used as food to feed my family or my friends. The last couple of trips have taken on the Royal Star, kept a few and I released all others. I have released alive the 2 marlin I have caught. I always release all of my calicos. Last week, we kept 2 tuna and one dorado, releasing several small dorado, several larger tuna as they were just not needed and I no longer need to feed my neighbors to be a hero. Hunting only kills. Trophy hunting only kills beheads, skins and leaves the rest. and there are better and more efficient means to feed the indigenous people. The outdated argument that this kind hunting brings revenue to support these animals is no longer valid. Ecotourism in Zimbabwe brought millions of dollars much of it to see and photograph Cecil. It also is not valid that "Trophy Hunting" is necessary to cull African herds. That is actully like saying that fishermen benifit tuna by culling cows.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
I can tell you have never hunted nor do you understand the history of Africans. Look up some of your points so you can have the correct info for your arguments. Remember we were hunters and gatherers for longer than farmers or shoppers.

When you release a cow that has fought for its life you have no idea that it didn't exhauste it's self to death or become an easy target for predators. I'm glad you release what you can't eat not all do.

Reactions: furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 16, 2008
perris/ca/usa
www.OFBoutdoors.com
Name
mike
Boat
17 crusader
check and balance, it takes all of us to build a great reputation for hunters and fishermen, however it only take one idiot to screw it up. thus the idiots who kill for heads or poach any game.
bottom line is we can not let airlines or corporations dictate our lifestyles and/or what we can or can not bring with us, in the form of legal things.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
In a statement, Delta said, "Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight."

Yes. I can see how that relates to everyday fishing travelers and their gear.

Reactions: bparker1225

MoMo Fish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2010
Ventura County
Name
Brooklyn!
Did you read his comment before actually typing a response? I mean actually read and understand what he said.. For your own sake I sure hope you didn't.. There is a big difference between trophy hunting lions and cow fishing...

If I have to explain the difference then really you are to far gone to try to logic with..

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Oh please explain hunters love to read this logic by non hunters comparing hunting and fishing

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Unless you utilize EVERY part of everything you kill you could be labeled as wasteful in somones eyes?
Instead of focusing on this lion maybe we should be focusing on the people of Africa. Most seem to be in a bad way.

If the Afracan government issues tags to hunt big game people will buy them trophy or not.
You can't bring back the meat even if you wanted to. US laws won't allow it.
Lots of peole go hunting in the US and abroad. They may not kill the biggest or oldest but I bet everyone of those animals is a trophy to them in some way.

The whole eat what you kill crowd always cracks me up. If you truly believe that shouldn't you only kill what you eat? Stop going to grocery stores.

I must be too far gone. If I ever catch a 300lb tuna...it's a fucking trophy!

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Mike, careful our new duck hunting F&W commissioner said, before he voted for the bobcat ban that he only kills what he eats......hope he chokes on a coot

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
http://spectator.org/articles/63673/no-friend-lions

More than 200,000 people have signed a petition asking the White House to cooperate with efforts to “extradite Walter Palmer” — the Minneapolis-area dentist who killed Cecil the lion — “promptly at the Zimbabwe government’s request.” According to reports, Palmer and/or his hunting guides lured the beloved lion out of a game reserve. Palmer then shot Cecil with a crossbow; the wounded lion lived for another 40 hours before he was dispatched with a bullet.

I have to assume that those who want Palmer extradited don’t know much about Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe or his sorry human rights record.

Mugabe, 91, has run Zimbabwe into the ground since he was first elected in 1980. Early on, he decided to bring the country under one-party rule. His Fifth Brigade wiped out political opposition in two provinces. By 1985, Mugabe’s Gukurahundi campaign had left some 20,000 civilians dead.

Since those bloody days, Mugabe has used intimidation and brute force to hold on to power. In 2008, a rival who won more votes in the first round of the presidential election than Mugabe backed out of the runoff after security forces killed more than 200 of his supporters.

Last year, Mugabe sacked his vice president and other Cabinet members, leading many to suspect he wants his wife, Grace, to succeed him. Dirty dynasty.

In the 2000s, Mugabe allowed vigilante gangs to displace white farmers and ranchers. There were no careful land reforms, just severe food shortages as livestock owners slaughtered their remaining animals, and crony beneficiaries of Harare’s land distribution program didn’t know how to farm. The New Yorker’s Philip Gourevitch described the mayhem: “Comrade Mugabe is clinging to power, and taking his country down with him.”

During last month’s speech at the African Union, President Barack Obama declared, “Nobody should be president for life.” Who doubted that Mugabe topped Obama’s list? The disdain is mutual. After the U.S. Supreme Court sanctioned same-sex marriage, Mugabe joked he would go to Washington, get down on one knee, and ask Obama for his hand in marriage.

In March, the Washington Post reported, a supporter killed a baby elephant for Mugabe’s $1 million birthday bash, where the 20,000 guests dined on two elephants and other wildlife. The host bagged and mounted a lion and a crocodile as birthday trophies. Mugabe used the occasion to rail against “white” safaris.

The White House cannot cooperate with Zimbabwe on Palmer’s extradition. It would be a human rights outrage to hand over the dentist to Zimbabwe’s jaded courts. And it would be a farce; Zimbabwe, after all, charges hunters $50,000 to bag a lion.

Palmer failed to do so cleanly. For that, he bears the blame. The dentist claimed in a statement: “I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt.” (Maybe that’s true and the guides are at fault. Maybe not. Palmer did plead guilty in 2008 for making a false statement to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service about where he had killed a black bear.)

The court of public opinion will take care of Palmer. Sadly, there is little such outrage for Robert Mugabe, who suspended lion, elephant, and leopard hunting temporarily. With the death of one lion, inexplicably, he has won a moment of respectability.

Reactions: MoMo Fish

wils

May 31, 2003
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
so we went from a trophy lion - whos' carcass was left to rot; not eaten - to equating that to cow tunas to blaming the african people to President Robert Mugabes' sorry human rights record. dang but thats some spinning.

Trophy hunter killed his trophy, cut off its head, and left the carcass to rot.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Interesting article 2013: I doubt many are willing to read the actual article, but I posted the title so people can check my facts. People on BD have stated that Trophy Hunting is a valued source of revenue to Africa.
This study states that annually Zimbabwe has 2.5 million ecotourists. On average $523 dollars US go directly into their economy. That equals about $1.3 Billion that ecotourism contributes into Zimbabwe economy. It is one of the few bright spots in their economy, a country which is among the very poorest in the world. A country that has booming inflation and per capita income of less than $3000 percapita per year.I still support Delta's actions. It is also a wise business move to ensure a full flight schedule. Draw your own conclusions?
The article is referenced below:
Eco-tourism, Conservancies and Sustainable Development: The Case of Zimbabwe
Victor Ngonidzashe Muzvidziwa
School of Social Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
so we went from a trophy lion - whos' carcass was left to rot; not eaten - to equating that to cow tunas to blaming the african people to President Robert Mugabes' sorry human rights record. dang but thats some spinning.

You forgot the part about how trophy hunters need to take out the older animals to help out mother nature.I never understood that theory.

Reactions: bparker1225

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy

Not trying to spin it Wils...I just can't stand the outrage over one lion being killed, when there is so many other travesties going on in the world, that no one even bats eye about (especially all these animal rights whack jobs). And Mugabe own action are a perfect example. People in the US and the modern world are all up in arms over one F'ing Lion, yet Zimbabwe's own President has killed thousands of his own people, eaten exotic endangered animals in his own celebration of his birth, caused the inflation of his country to clime to over 11,000,000 (million) percent.....but one rich dude kills a Lion, and all hell brakes loose.

Its just absoulteley rediculious. People are so whacked.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Harvesting the old.....

As animals get old their teeth get worn down to the gums and end up starving to death. That's one of the main reasons we kill them it's much more humane to die by a hunter than waste away by starvation or die off in the winter

Another reason if you kill all of the young then the older animals are the only ones left who can't breed due to age. Before you know it they all will be gone.

And then there's the part that the land can only support so many animals due to the feed.

wils

May 31, 2003
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Not trying to spin it Wils...I just can't stand the outrage over one lion being killed, when there is so many other travesties going on in the world, that no one even bats eye about (especially all these animal rights whack jobs). And Mugabe own action are a perfect example. People in the US and the modern world are all up in arms over one F'ing Lion, yet Zimbabwe's own President has killed thousands of his own people, eaten exotic endangered animals in his own celebration of his birth, caused the inflation of his country to clime to over 11,000,000 (million) percent.....but one rich dude kills a Lion, and all hell brakes loose.

Its just absoulteley rediculious. People are so whacked.
Fair enough in the entirety of the overall view of the World, "Bruce".

But lets get back to the original title of this thread:

Time for hunters and Fisherman to stop patronizing Delta airlines

staying on that point and not straying to the various spins and tangents that have popped up......
I cant fix the entire worlds' problems. But I can stand up for what I believe in.... one small item at a time.

The man killed the lion for the SOLE PURPOSE of putting its head on his wall.... and left the carcass to rot. That is NOT "harvesting".
IF the lion was butchered and people actually ate it, that would be a different scenario and receive a different response from me.

PS: Yes. People are whack. The entire World is whack.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
My one and only response to my post : with fishing there is almost always the option of release, the giant fish that I have caught never a a 200 pounder were completely used as food to feed my family or my friends. The last couple of trips have taken on the Royal Star, kept a few and I released all others. I have released alive the 2 marlin I have caught. I always release all of my calicos. Last week, we kept 2 tuna and one dorado, releasing several small dorado, several larger tuna as they were just not needed and I no longer need to feed my neighbors to be a hero. Hunting only kills. Trophy hunting only kills beheads, skins and leaves the rest. and there are better and more efficient means to feed the indigenous people. The outdated argument that this kind hunting brings revenue to support these animals is no longer valid. Ecotourism in Zimbabwe brought millions of dollars much of it to see and photograph Cecil. It also is not valid that "Trophy Hunting" is necessary to cull African herds. That is actully like saying that fishermen benifit tuna by culling cows.
How much of that money from those tours actually goes to the poor farmers of the area?
Fair enough in the entirety of the overall view of the World, "Bruce".

But lets get back to the original title of this thread:

Time for hunters and Fisherman to stop patronizing Delta airlines

staying on that point and not straying to the various spins and tangents that have popped up......
I cant fix the entire worlds' problems. But I can stand up for what I believe in.... one small item at a time.

The man killed the lion for the SOLE PURPOSE of putting its head on his wall.... and left the carcass to rot. That is NOT "harvesting".
IF the lion was butchered and people actually ate it, that would be a different scenario and receive a different response from me.

PS: Yes. People are whack. The entire World is whack.
Hyenas got to eat too.