Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
To be decades it would have to have been before 1/11/98. The exemption for five fish under did not exist before this time it was 10 fish no size limit.This minimum came into effect because too many people were killing little fish. Now they are killing even smaller ones.
Argue about it and kill all the micro yellows you want or sack up and try to catch one that actually makes it a challenge.
I don't target small yellowtail. However, the vast majority of yellowtail in California are between 4 to 12 pounds. That was the case 20 years ago and it's still the case today. What are you proposing for these fish, which are highly aggressive, abundant, and form the bulk of the summer attraction, as of right now? Make them illegal, and you are asking people to find an alternative, and I don't see many alternatives.

In the last few years, every time there's been talk of a local yellowtail bite, the place became a parking lot. I saw over 100 boats on the horse shoe last year, when the Long Beach yellowtail bite was in full swing. I can almost guarantee most of those boats wouldn't be there, had it been illegal to keep yellowtail under 28 inches. Then what, sculpin gets decimated? Rock fish? Bass? None of these fish can handle the pressure that's currently on yellowtail.

It might be better for the yellowtail, sure, but how do you propose to transfer the current pressure that exists and which these fish absorb. This is a huge amount of money - through bait sales, boat passes, etc. - and fishing opportunities that are being given up, and the costs will be significant.

Last edited:

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Iv'e got to hand it to you.You stand your ground even when 90% of the people disagree with you.Carry on.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
. I can almost guarantee most of those boats wouldn't be there, had it been illegal to keep yellowtail under 28 inches
Largemouth are probably the most popular gamefish in the US.
I wonder what % are kept and if that number is small which I'm very sure it is ....then how can they be the most popular gamefish if people aren't killin em?

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Largemouth are probably the most popular gamefish in the US.
I wonder what % are kept and if that number is small which I'm very sure it is ....then how can they be the most popular gamefish if people aren't killin em?
Key word: bass.

Bass fishing is almost religious in how people practice catch and release. But where else is this common? Community can't even get people to release small yellowtail, what makes you think they'll be satisfied with catch and release? I can't see guys who target yellowtail suddenly deciding they're okay with catch and release. No more than I can see the guys who target tuna do the same. Come to think of it we used to get a lot more of those tuna guys; wonder why they don't post here any more.

Last edited:

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
wonder why they don't post here any more.
Yeah, I am almost at that point now after all your verbal diarrhea. What you started as a dialogue quickly turned into a narcissistic monologue. I love your insistence on data when someone else posts. The forest is disappearing right in front of our eyes and you insist on counting trees before you will believe it.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I also don't think people appreciate the amount of meat that is on a 4 to 5 pound yellowtail. The largest rock fish I caught this year was just under 5 pounds, and a third of that was the head. A 4 to 5 pound yellowtail would give more meat than that 5 pound rock fish, and that 5 pound rock fish was probably 15 years old or more.

Yeah, 4 to 5 pound fish is small by yellowtail terms. But with respect to meat value, it's a lot of meat. Equivalent to the limit of <1 pound rock fish that people often bring home in California. Would it be better to wait for the fish to become 30 pounds? Sure it would. But you could make that argument for any fish - they could always get bigger. The question with respect to utility is whether they're big enough, and with respect to conservation, whether the data says it's sustainable.

Reactions: hilltop

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Yeah, I am almost at that point now after all your verbal diarrhea. What you started as a dialogue quickly turned into a narcissistic monologue. I love your insistence on data when someone else posts. The forest is disappearing right in front of our eyes and you insist on counting trees before you will believe it.
Even the guy who started this thread admits there are more yellowtail now than 30 years ago. Data is not a bad word - in fact it's the only argument that actually matters to the people who make the rules. I'm not asking for changes so I'm not the one who has to produce evidence; the onus is on you guys, and unfortunately, 9 pages later, nobody has produced anything.

Same with every year's yellowtail discussion. Might as well just bump last year's threads, or stick one at the top. Until people realize that collecting data and sponsoring research is the only way to move forward with laws and regulations, nothing is going to change, and with that, I'm done with this.

Last edited:

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Be thankful for data. In the Gulf of Mexico, NOAA get their data from a Ouija board or something similar. We now have the situation with red snapper where you can't catch anything else out to over 400ft but we have a couple day season because NOAA says they are overfished. They've now shut down triggerfish, amberjack (a yellowtail on steroids) and some of the grouper. They have even given the commercial red snapper to a few guys. By given, I mean that they own the poundage for ever . We would love some data.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Even the guy who started this thread admits there are more yellowtail now than 30 years ago. Data is not a bad word - in fact it's the only argument that actually matters to the people who make the rules. I'm not asking for changes so I'm not the one who has to produce evidence; the onus is on you guys, and unfortunately, 9 pages later, nobody has produced anything.

Same with every year's yellowtail discussion. Might as well just bump last year's threads, or stick one at the top. Until people realize that collecting data and sponsoring research is the only way to move forward with laws and regulations, nothing is going to change, and with that, I'm done with this.
Thank God he's done with this.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Just self goverenen yourself and call it good......if they change the law, it might change like to bluefin take ...2 fish of any size.... then everyone will be crying that the limit is too low......
don't need any new restricting limits or laws.....
have a nice day.......

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
The watermarks are waaay up the rope in this thread :D:D:D

Conditions. What were the conditions in your exact location when you did your research or made your incredible catch. Conditions change rapidly on both micro and macro scales.

Research and fish stories....if tide, time of day, bait and water conditions are exactly duplicated in the exact same spot each time time we "hit the pier", we have some reliable data for that exact spot. If one part of the equation is different all bets are off.

Terrafin archives tell big stories. 2009-2012 the entire SoCal Bight was cold green lifeless wasteland. Did the lack of tuna in that zone mean anything other than poor conditions?

Shit.... if I started fishing in 2014 I'd be bitching about how we wiped out the 20-40# homeguard YT at Box Canyon!!! LOLLOLLOLLOL

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Thanks for all the responses that utilized brain cells.

Here are the tallies for posts (5 or more):

Walkerman - 7
PLJ46 - 7
Jigslinger - 8
Willdoggy - 5
fishklr - 13
Hardcore - 8
SLIDER - 7
Mullet - 5

And the Grand Winner
Azarkon - 32

Sorry if I missed anyone with 5+.

RIP

Last edited:

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
Just self goverenen yourself and call it good......if they change the law, it might change like to bluefin take ...2 fish of any size.... then everyone will be crying that the limit is too low......
don't need any new restricting limits or laws.....
have a nice day.......
mmmmm this thread is still going... someone should close it before the DFG see it.. and changes the YT take.....

Reactions: carterantebi

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Would someone count up the likes/dislikes in this thread and post the data? TIA

bieber

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
Would someone count up the likes/dislikes in this thread and post the data? TIA

bieber
yes you should ........ your idea..... your task......
have a great day....