Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
So you're saying you're good with 4-5lb yellowtail being kept? Just checking & making sure we get this straight ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:
I'll describe it in a different way - would you support a 20 fish limit for sand dabs? How about a 5 fish limit for rock fish? After all, both of these changes would be better for fish populations, so why don't we do it? Hell, why not lower total fish limits to 3? Who needs more than 3 fish a trip? Anyone who argues against this is just being greedy.

When changes are not based on facts, anything can be justified.

I support regulations that maximize opportunity for recreational fishermen, while being sustainable at the same time. Is keeping 4 to 5 pound yellowtail sustainable? In case it is, then it's not the government's business. People can decide for themselves whether such a fish is worth keeping, this is what having freedom is about, and it's surprising to me that so many people volunteer to give it up these days.

Last edited:

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Haha...... I'm just looking for a simple yes or no answer dude LOL......... let's try this one more time....

So you are good with people keeping 4-5lb yellowtail?

No dodging politician answer this time..... just a YES or a NO ;)

Reactions: plj46 and wils

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Haha...... I'm just looking for a simple yes or no answer dude LOL......... let's try this one more time....

So you are good with people keeping 4-5lb yellowtail?

No dodging politician answer this time..... just a YES or a NO ;)

"It's not the government's business."

Doesn't get easier than that.

I might not support people's decision to keep baby yellowtail, but I'm going to support their right to do it. There are a lot of fishing practices that I don't like, but which are legal; and a lot of fishing practices that I do like, but which are illegal. In the end, the law should not depend on whether I personally like a fishing practice - it should be based on facts.

Reactions: 26grumpy

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
LOL LOL LOL

It'll just kill ya to give a yes or no wouldn't it??

To freakn' funny :D

Because it's not a yes or no question, it's two questions in one.

The first question is "are you okay with other people keeping 4 to 5 pound yellowtail"? The answer to this is YES, because it's legal and no data says it's not sustainable.

The second question is "would you keep 4 to 5 pound yellowtail yourself?" The answer to this is generally NO, but I have kept them in the past when I badly wanted to bring home fish, so it could also be YES, depending on what I feel like on a given day.

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I also don't think people appreciate the amount of meat that is on a 4 to 5 pound yellowtail. The largest rock fish I caught this year was just under 5 pounds, and a third of that was the head. A 4 to 5 pound yellowtail would give more meat than that 5 pound rock fish, and that 5 pound rock fish was probably 15 years old or more.

Yeah, 4 to 5 pound fish is small by yellowtail terms. But with respect to meat value, it's a lot of meat. Equivalent to the limit of <1 pound rock fish that people often bring home in California. Would it be better to wait for the fish to become 30 pounds? Sure it would. But you could make that argument for any fish - they could always get bigger. The question with respect to utility is whether they're big enough, and with respect to conservation, whether the data says it's sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calvin Deshler

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Yes. it is ok because the govt says its legal
No. it is NOT ok because we don't like govt regulations and the govt says that its legal.

Gosh but I love postings that appear on BD during Happy Hour

govt regulations TRUMP in our society.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Several sport boats did go out of business after the 1999 rock fish crash. Others switched to fish like sculpin which then crashed as well, and bass, we all know what happened there. There is a cost to these kinds of changes and no, businesses don’t just “adapt” after a certain stage. I’ve seen many fishing businesses collapse in my time, and while a lot of these deserved to fail because what they were doing was not sustainable, others were simply caught in an excessive environmentalist movement that didn’t bother to check the facts before stirring up a scare storm.

This yellowtail scare is much closer to the latter than the former. It’s just like the marine protection zones, but worse because there they had a small amount of data and research to back them up where as here we have none.

Like I said, it’s not hard to get informed and anyone who is informed know there’s been no recent studies of yellowtail populations and no anecdotal evidence either that the population is struggling. Any change would be based on fear rather than data.
Its not a scare storm. Yellowtail has always been a bonus if caught. Nobody stop fishing when the count for yellowtail is zero on the cattle boats. You have no facts that say the sportfishing fleet will be decimated by a size restriction on yellowtail.

Nobody is saying that yellowtails will become extinct. I am merely saying that by putting in a restriction on SIZE, it would allow a better CHANCE of a local population that stays around. That is not unreasonable. On the other hand, you have no lower size limit, it decimates the population every time they come back north when the water gets warmer.

Your comparison to the rockfish closure is not the same. That is an outright ban on fishing rockfish during certain time of the season. The yellowtail restriction is only on the minimum size. I would wager to bet the ban also helps give the rockfish a chance during spawning season. I have been noticing a lot more smaller reds and other rockfish ever since the ban has been in place. It means there is a chance of having a more sustainable resource in the long run. Nobody in the sportfishing business benefits from a species becoming scarce.

I would argue that having more yellowtail caught throughout the year would benefit sportfishing more than just to catch them during El Nino years and have them disappear entirely for 7-8 years until the next cycle.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I also don't think people appreciate the amount of meat that is on a 4 to 5 pound yellowtail. The largest rock fish I caught this year was just under 5 pounds, and a third of that was the head. A 4 to 5 pound yellowtail would give more meat than that 5 pound rock fish, and that 5 pound rock fish was probably 15 years old or more.

Yeah, 4 to 5 pound fish is small by yellowtail terms. But with respect to meat value, it's a lot of meat. Equivalent to the limit of <1 pound rock fish that people often bring home in California. Would it be better to wait for the fish to become 30 pounds? Sure it would. But you could make that argument for any fish - they could always get bigger. The question with respect to utility is whether they're big enough, and with respect to conservation, whether the data says it's sustainable.
Are you serious? If you can bounce a yellowtail, it needs to go back into the water. They grow very fast and a 5 lb yellowtail is a baby. It may not even be one year old yet. Rockfish is not even in the same league since they grow at a much slower pace. Stop comparing the two. If I caught a 5 lb rockfish, I would release it back into the wild to spawn again. The same applies to large sheephead.

Let's put it this way, if you are too embarrassed to post picture of the YT you caught, its too small. Some of the YT caught on the cattle boat and kept are smaller than the bonitos.

Last edited:
Reactions: charger98 and plj46

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Are you serious? If you can bounce a yellowtail, it needs to go back into the water. They grow very fast and a 5 lb yellowtail is a baby. It may not even be one year old yet. Rockfish is not even in the same league since they grow at a much slower pace. Stop comparing the two. If I caught a 5 lb rockfish, I would release it back into the wild to spawn again. The same applies to large sheephead.

Let's put it this way, if you are too embarrassed to post picture of the YT you caught, its too small. Some of the YT caught on the cattle boat and kept are smaller than the bonitos.
And some of the Bonito caught have been as large or larger than Yellowtail this year on private boats.
Let’s ban fishing for them too!! But first I want to ban Fishing for Yellowtail Tuna! They are extremely elusive and very pesky critters.

41BF288D-0ADC-40BB-9D7F-FC1008AD0CCA.jpeg

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
This yellowtail scare is much closer to the latter than the former. It’s just like the marine protection zones, but worse because there they had a small amount of data and research to back them up where as here we have none.

Like I said, it’s not hard to get informed and anyone who is informed know there’s been no recent studies of yellowtail populations and no anecdotal evidence either that the population is struggling. Any change would be based on fear rather than data.
Since you say over and over there is a lack of data on yellows shouldn't such a situation be treated carefully to protect such a regal fish...
What you don't seem to get is that yellows are a top of the list fish for many guys that fish often... it is my personal favorite and seeing limits of dead peanut yellows killed before they got the opportunity to become that freight training structure seeking missile that we get the pleasure to battle makes a lot of guys sick...
This species holds a special place in the hearts of many experienced guys and they will defend it regardless of data ..

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I think there should also be a size limit on Yellow Fin tuna. Say 15 pounds. As for limits 10 fish over 15#.
the biggest think these days , if some one goes Fishing
and it Cost them $145.00 for a 3/4 Day Trip
They want too Bring Home a $145.00 worth of Fish
plan and Simply
when you Get Older, it Doesn't Matter How Much
you Spend on a Trip, because you love just being out their
and if you Catch Something it a Bonus.
no matter how much the Trip Cost.

Reactions: Exodus

colemans224

Well-Known "Member"
May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
So you're saying you're good with 4-5lb yellowtail being kept? Just checking & making sure we get this straight ;)

Is this a serious question?

Hell yeah i’d Kill a few 4-5 lbers. Less competition for the surviving yellows and less sea lion food.

Last edited:

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Those are pretty decent sized YT. I'm referring to these small fish that you see posted freely on the internet. These pics are not mine, just examples you find online. I'm sure you will agree we should let these small YT fight another day when its bigger.
I wouldn't keep them but I would also not vote for or foster a law that prevents them from choosing to. Isn't it more fun anyway to shame them into releasing fish this size next time? Free country is better kept free.

Last edited by a moderator: