Time for a YT regulation change?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by the SLIDER, Jan 7, 2018.

1. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    With catching (not eating) yellows among my favorite things to do on this planet I would prefer they would err on the side of caution because reducing limits or putting on a size limit DEFINITELY will not hurt the population ...no science needed for that..

the SLIDER, wils and plj46 like this.
  2. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Great responses Gents! Time for a break in the action, 20 seconds

After a trip off shore and getting blanked, I returned to the dock at DP and saw boats loaded with this size YT. I was disgusted. Two of these embryos would fit in a frying pan.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    wils likes this.
  3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    It wouldn't hurt yellowtail, no. But it could change the cost benefit analysis of what boats target and shift pressure else where, which would hurt those species, instead.

Look, the number of boats fishing is increasing, and the standard practice within California is catch and kill, not catch and release. Yellowtail reach age of maturity at 3 years compared to bass and rock fish at 5 to 7. I'd much rather the pressure was on yellowtail even though this seems selfish, it is consistent with their life history.

Oldest yellowtail on record is 12 years. Oldest rock fish, over 200 years. And you can't release rock fish successfully most of the time. We want people fishing yellowtail, bonito, and other fast growing fish most of the year. We already know what happens when the pressure shifts to slow to grow fish. Thus, unless a study shows that current yellowtail fishing is not sustainable, I'm in the wait and see boat.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    sickcat, carterantebi and e_briz like this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I caught a 25lb yellow in pyramid cove in April about 7 years ago that was milting all over the place when it was gaffed, the water was in the low 60s and the crew told me that they had caught several with the same milting the day before. These fish were staged up in the mud outside on squid beds, and apparently having an orgy out there in a squid bed.

crabdancer likes this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Bluefin stupid, Yellowtail smart.

2 Bluefin vs 10 YT any size. One fish swims up and down the coast vs around the globe. if the Sporty is allowing you to keep "football" size BF, shame on everybody.

sickcat likes this.
  6. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    GTFOH. Small ones taste way better. This site is called blooddecks, not PETA.

7. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    Seriously, 5 fish over 28 inches forked length is more than enough in one trip. You're not trying to feed an entire village. The max number is not the issue, the key issue is the minimum size limit needs to be implemented. Cattle boats slaughter the babies when they finally come up during the el Nino years. It would be nice to keep some stock around to keep a healthy local population.

8. colemans224

colemans224 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    seaswirl cc
    I'm no expert by any means but, regardless of where you stand on this issue, it does seem ironic that when we are catching like crazy, we are talking about increasing regulations. It seems ironic because if we are catching like crazy, then in one way or another, that implies a healthy population of fish. Obviously, there are questions of sustainability. There is a lot of valid arguments being made on each side. If you think back to 2009-2010 (or so, can't remember exact years) there were a couple seasons that were brutally slow. I felt lucky to be catching rat yellows on a 1.5 day on the Eclipse back then, haha. Now a bunch of you guys are killing yellows, dodo's, yellowfin and bluefin pretty consistently all on private boats out of SoCal. I haven't been around long enough to understand long term cycles in our local fishing but these last few seasons have been the best I can remember by far. I don't ever remember half day boats killing so many yellows as in recent years.

9. talltale

talltale Member

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
    I am no biologist either, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the food chain is controlled by nature. If we were solely reliant on fish for food, our population would be dying off from starvation due to over-harvesting. That is what makes us such a dangerous part of any food chain. We don't harvest because we have to, we harvest for sport. I have seen not only the quantity but the quality of So. Cal. ocean fish drastically decrease in my lifetime, as I am sure most of you have as well.

charger98 and plj46 like this.
  10. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Leave the fuckin laws alone and set your own damn limits. Fuckin state already has too many fricken laws. Self police yourself and let others make their own decision.

richardblufin and skipjack like this.
  11. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Are you a politician or legislator? I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Maybe all coast.com will converse with you better

12. maurice escobedo

maurice escobedo Counselor

Name:
    Esteban
    Boat:
    24' Wellcraft air slot
    Good idea I couldn’t agree more
    Or maybe folks should regulate themselves.
    It’s great as a community to come together with ideas to make fishing better for the future.
    Cheers

13. tommysdad

tommysdad Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Sorry, going to have to disagree. Best YT I've ever had are the 40-50 pounders (from Guadalupe). Super fatty. Almost like a different fish.

But I'll keep a local 10 lb. fish any day,

14. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    28 inches = 10 pounds according to the chart on page 1. The vast majority of local fish do not meet this definition. A size limit of 28 inches will just about certainly kill sport boat numbers and cause them to shift to other fish. The over night boats that go deep into Mexico or 60 miles off shore will probably survive, but the rest, forget about it.

Again, had this been Mexico, I'd be all for it because there's enough 15 to 30 pound fish for everyone, but this isn't Mexico. The population structure here is completely different from their home ocean, and not stable enough for a slot limit. California laws need to account for California conditions, not just general fish biology in the fish's home ocean.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  15. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Glad you all know more than the fish biologists

plj46 likes this.
  16. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    We have a WINNER!!

I too am not against stricter YT regs to let them grow a little more but I'll want to see some data that it will make an improvement to the stock. The argument that it must be better because it "makes sense" doesn't cut it.

Spend the money and do the science - then lets the regs fall where they may. In the meanwhile the regs are the minimum. If you feel the need personally not to keep any then good on ya!

17. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    We throw all size back when we have enough to eat.Year before last on IZORs we threw back maybe a dz 20lb plus fish.Limit your kill,dont kill your limit.JMHO,Tom

Hardcor and the SLIDER like this.
  18. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    That is bullcrap. If you don't let them grow, you will never know. All you have to do is see pictures of hundreds of 5 lbs or smaller yt on the cattle boats. I rather let them grow and have a chance of even getting to 10 lbs. The fish grows to well over 30+ lbs even in local waters. If you don't believe, go to Farnsworth when they are biting.

The only fish I rather not have a size limit are the rockfish. This is mainly due to barotrauma and the small fish won't survive without a descending device. They are going to die whether is in a bag or floating on the surface to be picked by seagulls.

They said closing rockfishing from Jan to March would kill the sportboats. They are still doing just fine.

I think having a minimum size limit on YT, whether its 28 inches or 22 or some other measurement is something that needs to be done. Without it, the yellowtail stock dies quickly right after an El Nino year. Most of the fish migrate back due to the water temps, but some stay to become home guards. The more babies we let live, the better the chance there will be a local population.

Your argument is nonsense. If there are no YT around, the sport boats will just catch other fish. The high numbers you see in local fishing boats is usually mass slaughter of the smaller yellow tails.

charger98 likes this.
  19. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Several sport boats did go out of business after the 1999 rock fish crash. Others switched to fish like sculpin which then crashed as well, and bass, we all know what happened there. There is a cost to these kinds of changes and no, businesses don’t just “adapt” after a certain stage. I’ve seen many fishing businesses collapse in my time, and while a lot of these deserved to fail because what they were doing was not sustainable, others were simply caught in an excessive environmentalist movement that didn’t bother to check the facts before stirring up a scare storm.

This yellowtail scare is much closer to the latter than the former. It’s just like the marine protection zones, but worse because there they had a small amount of data and research to back them up where as here we have none.

Like I said, it’s not hard to get informed and anyone who is informed know there’s been no recent studies of yellowtail populations and no anecdotal evidence either that the population is struggling. Any change would be based on fear rather than data.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  20. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    So you're saying you're good with 4-5lb yellowtail being kept? Just checking & making sure we get this straight ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

the SLIDER and plj46 like this.