Time for a YT regulation change?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by the SLIDER, Jan 7, 2018.

1. skrilla

skrilla allirks

Name:
    Len
    Boat:
    Paddling on a budget
    Yellowtail numbers are up because they stopped making Newells. :Smoke_Emoticon:

2. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    From the fact that unless it's stupid wfo most rent rodders and/or newbies don't usually catch yellows on that once or twice a year trip that they take. Even if they manage to hook one it usually end in farmed fish.

3. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I believe the main reason all the inshore species have improved is that we are seeing the real effect of prop. 132, the banning of gillnets from 1994.

4. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Nah, it's the implementation of all the new MPA's. :D

5. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    interesting statement. i have often thought about how many fish i take (fishing 5-8 times a year) versus people who fish every weekend or more.

7raptor likes this.
  6. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    only the rapists and felon fis
    im still waiting for someone competent to start making new reels based on the newell design, but with modern parts where needed. i would like to try, but i am INcompetent so i will just wait and complain.

7. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Do you catch Yellows every time you fish ? i sure don't.You're odds decrease significantly only fishing once a year.

8. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    I think we dont see yellows on the beach nearly as much due to the poor water quality because of the huge increase in population and resulting runoff and discharge.

matta57, wils, crabdancer and 3 others like this.
  9. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    It is stupid to think that all, or even most, folks who go once or twice a year are rent rodders or newbies.

wils and stairman like this.
  10. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    It depends upon wether you target them or not, and when you fish.

11. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    How many great fishermen are there that own their own gears but only goes once or twice a year and would score yellowtail on those 1 or 2 trips? Would that number be greater than the average person that goes once or twice a year and rent gears? Or own inadequate gears? From my experience, people who fish this infrequently usually fall in the latter category.

You seem very defensive when this point was brought up by another poster. Maybe you don't fish often and took it as an indictment of your fishing prowess. If you're a great fisherman that doesn't fish that often...awesome congrats. But you're definitely the outlier and not the norm of people in that category.

12. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    when did many of the schools that were progeny of the thousands of yt that azarkon mentioned disappear off san pedro and SMB?
    Oh......about the same time I mentioned.

or are we ONLY allowed to speak about how fishing was over a hundred years ago? That would seem kind of silly

13. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I'm not sure what kind of revisionist history you're applying here as I don't remember yellowtail being abundant from piers during the '78-'90 period. There were sporadic periods like El Nino years where they do make an appearance like 2015, 1998, 1993, 1983 where I personal caught or saw yellows caught from piers. I do know that you could get copies of fish counts from various SoCal piers from the early part of the 20th Century showing massive amounts of yellowtail, wsb, barracuda and many other fish caught regularly from those piers.

But I get it. Why let facts get in the way when you want to scapegoat a group of people. Keep on keepin' on.

Johnlgarrison likes this.
  14. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    and one can also check news stories from the mid-to-late 70s about "certain folk" getting busted at night with no lights on their boats and holds full of yellowtail.

yes, dear. :D

15. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Right...so these instances of poaching from these 'certain folks' wiped out the yellowtail fishing from piers in SoCal is your position.

Like I said...when someone wants to scapegoat a group facts or logic don't matter.

I'm done. The conversation was fun but predictable. 8-)

16. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    All very good points, especially the first paragraph. The last paragraph goes south for me. Even Mexico has a 5 fish limit. Rarely would a fishing outfit in Mexico let you keep a rat YT. They are into preserving their resource. Plus it's F-ing embarrassing for them come back to port with rat YT. Here it's a different story. OP walkerman posted this, "What about the rest of the folks on the boat? I suspect that if a captain tried to enforce artificially low limits, he would lose business". So TRUE. On the internet or in a paper a YT is a YT in print, no mater the size. The whole outlook here is ridiculous. Help me help you. If we were patient with this fast growing species, make sure they breed, then take home a decent fillet from a 28" fish (That is if the angler has enough know how to do so) we'd then know the end result in a few years. Some YT do become homeguards (Mossbacks) I've seen/caught them.

First paragraph - I cut in order for you to make my point.

Second paragraph - There's no proof that taking the small YT are increasing the numbers either, lol. All of us who fish regularly should be sports man and keep a clear conscience, doing what's right. I just want to let a couple of guys who post a thread with accompanying images showing full limit of rats, I'm not that impressed. The folks who only fish one time a year, take your rats for dinner, that may be all you capable of catching. See ya next year.

This thread wasn't a rally cry to get folks aboard changing a DFW regulation, only to throw the subject out there to see how others feel about it.

Seeing your post's Azarkon I'm sure you'll respond with a counterpoint whether you agree with me or not. Were you ever the president of the debate club in HS? You know, where they give you a subject to debate and tell you what stance to take in order to win the argument? I enjoy your post's.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    charger98 likes this.
  17. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I get what you're saying, I just don't think there's much evidence showing that it would result in bigger fish. The reason behind a size limit is usually to ensure that the fish has had a chance to reproduce before it's caught, which is important to maintain strong recruitment. But in cases where recruitment is already solid, does it actually result in larger size classes over time? The evidence seems to be mixed. Reason being, when you direct people to keep only larger fish, the fish experiences a natural selection effect towards smaller body sizes. So you end up selecting for dwarfs.

18. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a

Maybe I do not fish as often as I would like .... for any number of reasons. But no, I did not take it as an “indictment” of my fishing prowess. Rather, I took it as an indication of the posters smug asinine conceit. There are a lot of really good fisherfolks who have well rounded lives and spend a lot of time doing things other than fishing.

wils likes this.
  19. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    yes it was.

20. Jigslinger

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Oh I'm sure all of us don't fish as often as we would like to no matter how much we fish. :D

No doubt there are some great fisher-people that only get to go out a few times a year. The majority of those infrequent folks, though, are still the ones up the side of day boats with dropper setups fishing for whatever bites on the bottom when the yellows are going off on flyline baits in the stern or irons in the bow. I usually hand off hooked yellows to those folks so they could have a more enjoyable experience. They usually appreciate that.

I could see how you would look at statements like that from plj46 as smug, conceited even asinine. Consider that your statement implying people who fish more often than you to not have rounded lives could also be viewed in the same light by some. :hali_olutta:

Fishing is great no matter how often we do it!

Tight lines!