Tijuana Airport to Loreto

centralcal

Jul 27, 2008
San Luis Obispo/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat
18ft, invader, reefrunner
I am flying out of Tijuana on Volaris to Loreto in a few days. First time. I have a rod tube and plan on taking one 8 foot pole and two 7 footers. Also checking a bag with 3 reels and terminal tackle. Is there anything special I need to know to do this? It seems pretty straightforward on the Volaris website. Has anyone had any trouble checking gear out of TJ? I am fishing with captain Juan of Mijito sportfishing. Should I just ditch my gear and use his? Anyone have experience with Mijito sportfishing? Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

marvista man

Sep 16, 2004
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Steve
Boat
Pursuit 2350 W/A, Phoenix 32 Tournament
I just flew out of there last Friday and if you have a rod tube don't wait in the line to check your bags in the white tent outside of CBX. They said the rod tube was oversized and we had to take all of our bags with us across the bridge and check in at the airport ticket counter. The rods cost me $55.00 for oversized luggage fee.

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
I recently travelled to La Paz and Loreto. Though I can't speak specifically on Mijito Sportfishing, I'd like to suggest to leave the rods, but do take your checked in reels and terminal tackle. Once in TJ airport, as you start to line up at the check-in counters, bring your checked baggage to the stand that wraps them in blue plastic wrapping. Costs $300 pesos per bag, but from there no problems to check-in. In Loreto, they're big on fishing with fresh caught sardines, so be sure to pack a small hand full of Sabiki's {"small hand full" meaning one per person fishing + Captain/per day.) My $.02

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Mexicomics are soon to be in play when flying. Airlines are going to start charging for all luggage, even carry ones.
good luck.

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
I just flew out of there last Friday and if you have a rod tube don't wait in the line to check your bags in the white tent outside of CBX. They said the rod tube was oversized and we had to take all of our bags with us across the bridge and check in at the airport ticket counter. The rods cost me $55.00 for oversized luggage fee.
you always have to take you luggage across the bridge the CBX guys just tag it and weigh...

Reactions: michael c day
Upvote 0

Heatmaster75

That was fast....
Jul 20, 2019
Western Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
I would second what Smokinwater had to say, if you are trying to travel lite leave your rods and take your reels, sabiki's and some 50# flouro leader. I have never fished with that outfit but I know where he lives...lol. Most of the panga's have decent enough rods but the reels can be a bit lacking. I get your thinking though, would love to have a couple 8'ers with me when there.

Good luck! We did fair a few weeks ago during the moon, but the wind was a major issue. Missed out on 2 days because of it. I think it has been relatively calm since we left on the 2nd.

Reactions: smokinwater
Upvote 0

Shemp

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rick
Boat
Ocean Kayak, Cabo
Captain Juan at Mijito is fantastic. He really understands live bait fishing more than most of the guys. I have fished with others down there who are chinsey with the bait. He knows when to chum, where, etc.

Upvote 0

centralcal

Jul 27, 2008
San Luis Obispo/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat
18ft, invader, reefrunner
I had a great time in Loreto. I decided not to bring any gear flying out of Tijuana because I didnt want to deal with checked bags. Captain Juan was great. We trolled mackeral on the backside of Isla Carmen. He had Trinidad 30s with shimano rods (forget the model). He had some irons but we stuck with the mackeral. Caught two 25ish lb yellows, and missed a couple others. Other pangas caught 0 to 4 yellows that day fishing in the same zone from what I heard and saw at the marina. It was perfect weather and a great experience. Great captain! I bought a 15 lb spinning outfit and a krocodile from a store down there to fish from shore but didnt catch anything. Stayed at La Mision hotel because my girlfriend tagged along. They prepared an amazing dinner of yellowtail cooked 5 different ways. I am going to go back and brave the heat when the dorado start to show.

Upvote 0