Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
My buddy just got a 17 footer. It has a 90 VRO on it. He took me water skiing a week ago and I was surprised how low the transom was at the lip of the motorwell.

Most of us on here have seen enough old boats to know that I suspect, waterlogged transom/stringers/foam.

there is about 2” between top of the lip the motor hangs from to WL. Anybody got any pictures or experience to share?

it was taking water over easily in reverse on a calm lake.

he’s discussing moving the batteries forward and I told him that would be wise, as a start.

he isn’t real interested in hearing how much weight I removed from a small Arima by installing new transom and stringers.

pics of somebody’s waterline would tell more. I know these are well liked boats.

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
My buddy just got a 17 footer. It has a 90 VRO on it. He took me water skiing a week ago and I was surprised how low the transom was at the lip of the motorwell.

Most of us on here have seen enough old boats to know that I suspect, waterlogged transom/stringers/foam.

there is about 2” between top of the lip the motor hangs from to WL. Anybody got any pictures or experience to share?

it was taking water over easily in reverse on a calm lake.

he’s discussing moving the batteries forward and I told him that would be wise, as a start.

he isn’t real interested in hearing how much weight I removed from a small Arima by installing new transom and stringers.

pics of somebody’s waterline would tell more. I know these are well liked boats.
I've got an 18' tiderunner, and while it sits low, it doesn't sit nearly that low, even with dual batteries in the rear, plus 8hp and 115hp 4-stroke motors. Has he tapped around the transom to listen for any dull thuds? Pulled some fasteners from the transom cap, or elsewhere, or the garboard drain out to check for rot? You can also tilt the main all the way up, then press down hard on the lower unit while having someone else look at transom from the side to make sure it doesn't flex under load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie Aye
Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I think he is still trying to fool himself into thinking it’s not transom rot. Curiosity got the best of me and I knew someone on here would have first hand knowledge of what “normal” flotation should look like. Thank you

Reactions: marlyn

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
Seattle
Name
"Mulligan"
Boat
18' Tiderunner Runabout
I think he is still trying to fool himself into thinking it’s not transom rot. Curiosity got the best of me and I knew someone on here would have first hand knowledge of what “normal” flotation should look like. Thank you
Odd he wouldn't at least want to know. First thing I did when I got my 20+yr old used boat was go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Upvote 0

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
Like others has said they sit low but that’s now becoming a safety issue. There’s a lot of weight inside of that transom. Also those are not meant for the weight of the new motors. You’ll see them with a outboard bracket to add flotation for the extra weight. Easiest way to check is drill through it above the water line and use a moisture tester. Happened to my old Glasply

there’s a guy in PA who does that fix but his info is slipping my mind right now.

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Thanks guys, this was my hunch. I will pass the info along to him.

I was already thinking how much more room that boat would have with a new glassed in transom and outboard bracket.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Like others has said they sit low but that’s now becoming a safety issue. There’s a lot of weight inside of that transom. Also those are not meant for the weight of the new motors. You’ll see them with a outboard bracket to add flotation for the extra weight. Easiest way to check is drill through it above the water line and use a moisture tester. Happened to my old Glasply

there’s a guy in PA who does that fix but his info is slipping my mind right now.
    A 90 hp Vro is like mid 80's to 90's two stroke...light engine lbs wise.

He has a rotten transom thats waterlogged.

Reactions: Fireball and Siv
    Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Probably waterlogged, but could be the boat itself.

The Tiderunner 17 is different than the common 18. — Plus the 90 vro is a v4, not the lightest of engines (for it’s hp), but not excessive… And a lot of these boats also had a kicker and obviously the transom could handle the weight.

Also if the boat still has the boot/pin striping, and if the stripe angles away several inches (~6”) from the aft corner chine; then yes it is 17 that will sit stern heavy.

A picture of the transom at the dock, and tell us what the fuel and contents speaks a million.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Boats of that age are almost certain to be waterlogged. The question is if its rotted out or not. Wet transom will weigh it down to some degree but really how much water could it actually hold? Maybe a few gallons if it was fully saturated? Not enough to matter most likely.

Waterlogged foam is more likely to be the main source of weight I bet

Upvote 0

Mjedlin66

May 23, 2021
    Port Orchard, WA
    Name
    Matt Edlin
    Boat
    1978 Tiderunner 18' Runabout
    I think I know this guy. Is he the master shrimp killer?

I happen to know his 90 crossflow is 301 lbs. And the engine he just bought to put on it is 390 lbs. So he better figure out what the heck is going on, if anything, with his wood frame before he does that engine swap.

I don't have a photo of the back sitting in the water. But the fuel tank is ~25 gallons and it has two group 27 batteries all underneath the splash well.

boat1.jpg

181634248_10225370917330493_3803615619816092224_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Mjedlin66

May 23, 2021
    Port Orchard, WA
    Name
    Matt Edlin
    Boat
    These are not photos of my boat. I took these photos of another Tiderunner that had its floor out. Posting them here to show how the boat is built.

IMG_20210331_134421.jpg

IMG_20210331_134424.jpg

IMG_20210331_134435.jpg

IMG_20210331_134421.jpg

IMG_20210331_134424.jpg

IMG_20210331_134435.jpg

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    This is my boat. Here is the area of biggest concern. From looking at those photos above, it looks like the only support above this roller is foam.

View attachment 1295448
    Everyone welcome my buddy Matt to the board. I already warned him to put on thick skin to survive on here. We still shouldn’t give him a hall pass on the required pics of wife as a right of passage though:D

Reactions: bdrlgion
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    At the dock. Dry bilge. 25 gallons of fuel. Main engine is 301 lbs.
    View attachment 1296471
    Really hard to tell… that’s a splashwell and some of those can be pretty low intentionally to use a shorter shaft motor… if it was truly just a few inches below your transom I would be more worried…

I don’t have boat specific knowledge… but it is a 17’ boat with a 300lb engine and a kicker and there is gear in the boat..

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Looks fine from that angle. That's what the splash well is for. Unless I csnt see it theres no way for water to get in unless it goes over the splash well which is how they're designed.

I dont doubt it's got water intrusion but I dont see anything alarming there.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    @Kettle, thanks for the transom photo. (properly done with no one in the boat!)

While the transoms are different in a few ways (mainly the depth of the cutout), both boats float about the same at the aft corners.

It seems the twin yamaha setup would be a little heavier over all. But if the battery(s) are forward that moves a lot of weight.

It would be interesting to check if the transom was recut for a short shaft engine. (~5”)

Upvote 0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    @Kettle, thanks for the transom photo. (properly done with no one in the boat!)

While the transoms are different in a few ways (mainly the depth of the cutout), both boats float about the same at the aft corners.

It seems the twin yamaha setup would be a little heavier over all. But if the battery(s) are forward that moves a lot of weight.

It would be interesting to check if the transom was recut for a short shaft engine. (~5”)
    Original transom...battery is in the back next to gas tank and long shaft engines (both) fyi...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Mjedlin66

May 23, 2021
    Port Orchard, WA
    Name
    Matt Edlin
    Boat
    My transom is 20". My boat is a 1979, and I believe it's an 18', not 17'.

If yours is 25" that explains a lot of the discrepancy.

Though I mounted my e-tec today and my transom is definitely rotten. Torquing to 50 ft-lbs caused crushing and water squeezed out. Guess I need a new transom this winter.

Do you guys have anyone you recommend to do that replacement? I'm in Port Orchard.

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
    Jul 16, 2012
    Port orchard
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
    Tim from invisible boat repair used to years ago, but he might not be doing this any longer. He was in Tacoma and he could do the enclosed transom and bracket

(253) 686-6760 was the old number I have

Upvote 0