jiggerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 5, 2011
Riverside, Ca.
Name
John
Boat
Vag
Anyone know when Tiburon announced that they will no longer be manufacturing reels? At Fred Hall show or more recently? Just curious as I have one and was concerned about support/parts availability. What a bummer. All I could find about it was on Charkbait's site:http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrTiburon.htm.
Tibs site makes no mention...

bluewaterbum

Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
They quit the reel manufacturing part of their business, I think I read it either last year or early this year..

JSR

Sep 5, 2005
Irvine
Name
John
Boat
n/a
thank god i have them all

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
X2

They still have replacement parts and spools, just contact Tiburon directly. My hunch is the SST reel series will resurface at some point down the road... stay tuned.

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Pro Gear, Graphite USA, so many of the jig manufacturers . . . the list is endless . . .

Just because you have a great idea/product doesn't mean squat if you aren't also a very, very good businessman. Unfortunately, the only place that seems to be common knowledge is in business schools.

Kent Vansooy

Nov 8, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Kent
Boat
none
I know the guys at Tiburon - they have plenty of parts and are still servicing the reels. Anyone who needs parts or service can contact them through a local tackle dealer. They're still manufacturing and shipping lots of aftermarket reel parts - frames, clamps, handles, etc. Many dealers are doing business with Tiburon on a daily basis.

Reactions: ReelDealAngler

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I know the guys at Tiburon - they have plenty of parts and are still servicing the reels. Anyone who needs parts or service can contact them through a local tackle dealer. They're still manufacturing and shipping lots of aftermarket reel parts - frames, clamps, handles, etc. Many dealers are doing business with Tiburon on a daily basis.

Can a person send them a reel direct for service….

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I have 4 of them 6-8-12-30 and just compared them….all are noisy …… I guess that is why I never use them LOL…..I just happened to see the 6 in the cabinet and cranked it a couple times…I remembered it was noisy but not THAT noisy.

Freespools like a dream with no bearing noise so i guess it just the dogs….does anyone know a way to quiet the dogs a little?

Reactions: sierraazuel

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I have 4 of them 6-8-12-30 and just compared them….all are noisy …… I guess that is why I never use them LOL…..I just happened to see the 6 in the cabinet and cranked it a couple times…I remembered it was noisy but not THAT noisy.

Freespools like a dream with no bearing noise so i guess it just the dogs….does anyone know a way to quiet the dogs a little?
Is that the same one you're sending me? Don't worry, I like the noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReelDealAngler

AllanI

Apr 27, 2008
Lompoc, CA.
Name
Allan Isaac
Boat
Friends
I had no issues with sending my SST 8 directly to Rich at the shop. I did call first, but was told to go ahead and send it. That was last year, so things could have changed. A call couldn't hurt

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Pro Gear, Graphite USA, so many of the jig manufacturers . . . the list is endless . . .

Just because you have a great idea/product doesn't mean squat if you aren't also a very, very good businessman. Unfortunately, the only place that seems to be common knowledge is in business schools.
We sometimes tend to forget how small the west coast saltwater fishing gear market really is, and now with all of the government regulations eliminating numerous local proven fish catching grounds (zones), you pretty much have to be in another manufacturing business to stay alive in the west coast fishing tackle market. Accurate wouldn't be in the reel business without the revenue they get from the aerospace industry, Okuma wouldn't be in the reel business without the huge revenue they get from making CNC machines, Shimano is the same story... huge revenue from their bike parts business. Its a shame that the little guys just simply cannot compete in todays market, so lets all be thankful for the engineer types that had a true passion for fishing and for designing fishing gear that was different from the norm... guys like Rich at Tiburon, Carl Newell at Newell and several others who have contributed greatly to the west coast fishing tackle industry... they were in it because it was a labor of love more than a profitable business for them.

I worked in the tackle industry for many years back in the golden years when most of the major chain stores, the multi-location sporting goods stores, and the individual mom and pops all sold fishing gear and tackle, and even back then with many more retail shelves to fill products with than today the west coast tackle business was a tough place to make any serious money. So a "very, very good businessman" would most likely look elsewhere for a return on their investment (profit) if they did their due diligence properly on the west coast fishing tackle business in general. Kind of like major brand auto sales these days... the auto sales business has become so spilt up with so many new players in the game vying for the almighty consumer dollar and their piece of the pie that most car dealers now make more money selling and repairing used autos than they do selling new cars... for some auto dealers its how much are they willing to lose on new car sales that makes or breaks them... when selling a new vehicle they hopefully can get accessory sales, financing perks, insurance sales perks, long term maintenance perks, etc. to actually make a decent profit on a new car sale... so welcome to the new way of doing business in today's retail world... its all about volume and add on (accessory) sales! A tackle dealer makes more profit selling you a couple of jigs, a package of hooks and a new pair of fishing shorts than they do selling you a new big game reel that they have to stock a bunch of from various manufactures in several sizes and colors to even get you through the front door or beyond the homepage of their website.

Tight lines and blue skies!

Last edited:
Reactions: HermosaJoe

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten

In the middle of a bite, you don't hear a thing. If anyone wants to dump their SST's, let me know, I wouldn't mind having an extra 6 or 8. I just love the auto-shift feature. I know not everyone likes them, but isn't that true for all reels?

Two years ago I took an SST into Tiburon, told them I was leaving in ten days and they had it ready 7 days later. Stand-up service.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
The newer version SST reels made by Okuma were a lot quieter, they also have helical cut gears that are smoother and even stronger IMO than the older U.S. made SST reels. Not sure if the Okuma made helical cut gears fit the U.S. made SST reels or not. The last of the SST series in the new 50 and 50W size have helical cut gears and they are fairly quiet on the crank for a 50 size reel, they also have the best free spool of any 50 reel made today IMO. The only time I prefer the new SST version reels (made by Okuma) is when throwing wahoo jigs/bombs or yo/yo fishing where cranking fast is part of the drill (less noise and smoother cranking)... when bait fishing the noise from the U.S. made models is truly no big deal to me, especially when considering all of the other advantages the SST reels offer like superb free spool, tank tough design and construction, an oversized super smooth drag system, auto shift, and well proven ability under heavy load use on the water.

Tight lines and blue skies!

Last edited:
Reactions: rodblder