Thursday 7/20/17 at 43, to Clemente island.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bajabills, Jul 21, 2017.

1. the doctor

the doctor BEEN AROUND

Name:
    The Doctor
    Boat:
    SeaFox
    Agree 100 percent.

2. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    I'll add that the discussion of recreation VS commercial BFT fishing has happened before after the local seiners got on those real JUMBO BFT in 88 and 89. Little has changed..
    As for spotter planes you are aware that the pilot that flies for SAC also flies for the MX pen fishery right? I see little or no outrage when the great spotter pics are posted on BD.

4. Chappo

Chappo Newbie

Name:
    Charlie
    Boat:
    Parker 2120
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The root of all evil! They don't give a shit about you me or our children's fishery! For cat food no less? fucking joke!!!! YES! AM BITTER...

5. bajabills

bajabills Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    I like spotter planes, as I said earlier. I like commercial fishing, I like recreational fishing.
    All that was stated already in this thread.

And I know , as they do also , and you, that
    purse seining in local California offshore waters
    Ruins it for everyone Themselves included, and
    For the local recreational AND local commercial fisherman as well.

And they like strip miners move on . Leaving
    A vacant area behind. Although underwater.

6. cabo rob

cabo rob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    cobia 244cc

7. cabo rob

cabo rob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    cobia 244cc
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Take photos, or video, it can't be denied when you attach it to your complaint. The more the better. Would also be of help posting a standard list so all reading this post can issue their complaints to the same organization.. Several hundred will initiate the attention of someone who doesn't want the negative attention. Don't forget the media...a few articles with names of contacts and photos could start the wheels in motion
    At the very least, someone is gonna get uncomfortable with their names put on blast for public awareness.
    How do you think organizations like Greenpeace and the sierra club started ???

8. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    where do you see "views" ? I dont see the number of views listed any where......hmmmm

9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Bummer...I'm thinking one helluva fall is coming, I can FEEL IT! LOL

10. cchris

cchris Member

Name:
    Cris
    Boat:
    friends :)
    You are wrong to assume alaska has it better because of fewer people,we have more commercial fishermen than most states, a lot of the permits for commercial fishing are from Seattle as well. We are doing so well because of great and I mean great fishing and hunting laws and great fish and wildlife officers always working to catch the bad guys, whether in uniform or civilian, I even saw an officer bring a wheelchair once to the Russian river ferry confluence to catch poachers. In alaska commercial fishing has strict limits and open/closed seasons based on quotas. Break the law and they will seize your tackle, boat, spotter plane , everything used in getting you there or giving you an edge while committing the crime.

11. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Like that you noticed it as well!! My partner and I took several employees up to a lodge in Alaska. Paid thousands. We had a fun time. But was far from the great halibut fishing we hoped. Did catch big lings and yellow eyed rockfish black rockfish tasted really well. But we only caught a few 25-80 lb halibut. Great to eat! Most of the guys got some processed individually wrapped frozen and boxed. Very expensive..

12. bajabills

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Because I authored the offshore report , I have thread tools Participants do not.
    At present 2:57 pm Saturday July 22, 2017.
    This thread has 2755 views.
    Here's a double screen shot.

IMG_0197.JPG

Woodeneye likes this.
  13. HookEmDanO

HookEmDanO Huhuhuge member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    thanks for the info.....oh I wasnt skeptical at all...after all these years I just had never noticed it before...I went and looked at an old post of mine and sure enuf...there is the views

upload_2017-7-22_15-10-17.png

14. bajabills

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    Sickcat, it's not the debate of
    "recreational vs. commercial " at all.
    I think that's why it all flopped when you all persued it in the 80s and 90's.

The real issue is "purse seining within 150 miles of coastal California."

That way small California commercial fishermen and
    California Recreational sport fishing can have success. And sustainability of the resource. Then seiners also have theirs exclusive zones beyond 150miles.
    I think seiners do have their place, but not next to the little guy trying to make a living . Or next to the
    Guy trying to catch a couple fish.

15. Zenner

Zenner Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yours
  16. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    First let me say that I appreciate that you are willing to have a civil discussion on a very important and emotional issue. Thank you very much for that.

I certainly see your point and agree it is a valid one. While you don't see it as recs VS commercial many others in these discussions do. Also many in these discussions lump what happens here in U.S. waters with what happens in other places - showing pics of super seiners and the like. The distinction between what happens here in the U.S. VS what goes on in other areas is an important one. It is one of the big reasons I participate in the discussion and am happy to take any heat/hate for my views. My next post covers why I think the distinction is important. It was the post that I started earlier this morning but due to a severe lack of sleep wasn't very clear. Hopefully its better now that I had a little nap
    I respectfully disagree that the local seiners "ruin it for everyone". Judging by what I have seen seems the BFT fishing has been pretty dam good the last few years. Could it be better? Absolutely! I am all for responsible fisheries management and good science that supports that. I am hopeful that something good can come out of these discussions that furthers that goal.

17. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    It is very unlikely that California would ever do so. The HMS (Highly Migratory Species) are managed by the NMFS branch of NOAA but the quotas for tuna in the eastern Pacific are set by the IATTC of which the U.S. is a member. In the U.S. the states including California historically defer to the NMFS for management of HMS and follow the regs they set because tunas, both Pacific and Atlantic, are managed internationally – IATTC in the eastern Pacific/WCPFC in the western Pacific and ICCAT in the Atlantic. The quota in the eastern Pacific for the U.S.commercial take of BFT for the next 2 seasons is 600mt with no more than 425mt in one season.
    The seiners that worked the western Atlantic (including U.S waters) were dialed way back in the early 1980s IIRC by the ICCAT yet the Atlantic BFT resource continued to decline for decades. A healthy Pacific BFT resource will only happen by the management changes on the internationally playing field via the IATTC/WCPFC which is happening albeit at a painfully slow pace. If the Atlantic resource is any indication the problems causing the decline can be addressed but it takes a long time to do so be ready to fight a long sustained battle.
    I understand the passion vented in these threads about the local commercial activity. If the local seiners were not operating the day you guys were out you certainly may have had better luck catching. If the only focus is changing what we see in our own little back yard I'm afraid the resource will continue to decline and our little back yard will suffer right along with the rest of the Pacific. JMHO...
    A short Q&A put out by NOAA in 2015 on the state of the Pacific BFT resource:
    https://swfsc.noaa.gov/uploadedFile..._Pelagics/Tuna/Pacific Bluefin Tuna FAQ's.pdf

18. bajabills

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    blackman fishmachine
    I do have great respect for those who have tried.
    As the BFT are world travelers. Yet someone , somewhere can make a difference. I know California
    Likes to be the model in a lot of things, and are.
    While BFT are foragers and travelers , they also like California. No one can change this world, people have got to want to make themselves change for good , to expect a good outcome .

With good intent. Limiting fishing methods of mass harvest in California beyond 150 miles is doable.
    Like other states have done.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  19. Tfrog

Tfrog Newbie

Name:
    TF
    Boat:
    26 Center Console
    Typical bullshit, our gov't selling us out once again....

20. arik lerner

arik lerner Member

Name:
    arik
    Boat:
    topcat 42 thermadine
    all you have to do is get a angry lesbian to catch one and she will fuck with the F& G Seining for cat food destroying 2-300 lb bft we must stop this or we will be closed within 5 years.
    When they were interviewing us commercial fisherman in 2003 asking us they kept asking me to meet them to answer questions i met them at Starbucks in La Jolla at 10 pm along come these 2 girls mid 20s no makeup tan and cacky colored clothes yes there went my hardon . I noticed Birkenstocks etc They ask me which areas don't you want us to close?
    yeah right Im going to say the 43 the 181 sure dude so what do I say to them/
    HEY UM UM UM in hesitation "Are you Lesbians??? they both looked at each other with a blank look fuck they got to ask me a question this is America free speech why in the fuck cant I ask them a question???