Thurs Feb 9 Win Scotty DR with Kevin Klein-Fishing the San Juans

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Fishinnut, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Fishinnut

Fishinnut I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ron Garner
    Boat:
    32 Proline Express
    As you probably know Kevin is a San Juan Island resident that probably knows how to fish the San Juans better than anyone. His presentation is "Reading tides and structure for Chinook in the San Juan Islands and issues with the proposed whale protection zone."

You really need to understand how the tides work in the San Juans to know where to be on what tide. This will help your fishing abilities and your take home catch. It is a large area and there is a lot to know. Bring a pen and paper to take notes and get there early for the best seats.

A lifelong resident of Washington State, Kevin Klein has been on the rivers, lakes, and salt waters of the Pacific Northwest since conception. Bitten by the fishing bug at an early age, pursuing gamefish again became his passion after graduating from college at Washington State University. In 2004, Kevin was offered a position in Friday Harbor, managing a company barging gas to the San Juan Islands. After taking to the Island lifestyle immediately, Kevin began to write numerous articles for outdoor magazines, and contribute to websites dedicated to fishing. A founder, president, participant, and occasional winner of regional salmon derbies, Kevin can be found promoting sport fishing, and giving seminars on tips and techniques to become a better boater and fisher person.

A passion became a career, when Kevin joined Inside Passage Yacht Sales as their Northwest sports and fishing representative. Any given day, you may find Kevin and his wife Vicki, also an accomplished angler, plying the waters of the Northwest, spreading the word of the benefits of the boating and fishing lifestyle. They hope to share the reality of living your dreams by matching the right boat to it’s rightful owners. Whether for the hardcore offshore angler, or the cruising couple or family, a confidence inspiring, comfortable vessel opens up a rewarding life, revolving around the water.

The grand prize will be a Scotty 2106 High speed raffle that is worth $700. Food and Drink available for those coming straight from work.

Feb 9 Thursday 6:30am
    Edmonds Senior Center
    220 Railroad Ave.
    Edmonds

kevin Klein.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. gfakkema

gfakkema Certified D.I.N.K. (Dual Income No Kids)

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    22' Arima Sea Legend
    6:30 am? o_O You guys don't mess around, haha! I'm assuming you meant 6:30 pm.

Should be a short presentation considering the fact that there aren't any fish in MA7... :frehya2:

3. FHisherman

FHisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    6:30 P.M., I hope, haha! I think the title of "knows the San Juan's best", would go to a lot of guys before me. Lots of long time slayers that have earned knowledge up there. I won't just give away spots and how to fish them. That's why this presentation is different than most of your "Go to this well known spot on this tide, and drag this bait." I try to get people to think for themselves, and figure out why tides and current effect structure the way they do, and why fish wind up and then hold where they do. That way, you can go find your own spots, or maybe fish a spot on a different tide than everyone else. More rewarding and more interesting that way. And, we'll talk about what we can do to combat the proposed No Go Zone.

4. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Don't forget to salute the membership desk! :finger:

Ducker!

FHisherman likes this.
  5. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    Great to see everyone tonight. Thank you Kevin for sharing your insight and knowledge.

FHisherman likes this.
  6. gfakkema

gfakkema Certified D.I.N.K. (Dual Income No Kids)

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    22' Arima Sea Legend
    Yeah, thanks Kevin. I brought the wife for the first time. I grabbed some cash before we left and she was bitching. When she heard Ron talk and she saw what that money was going to, she told me that I didn't bring enough. She is new to the politics side, but she appreciated the information that was shared and could see the value of organizations like PSA and CCA etc. Hopefully she let's me buy a few more raffle tickets next time... you know, for a good cause.

FHisherman likes this.
  7. Cornfed

Cornfed CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS Has Moderator Powers

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
    Wish I could have been there! I had a hunting meeting down south to attend. What were the big takeaways, Kevin? @FHisherman

8. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    There are no fish in MA7....LOL And its closed now anyway.LOL:frehya2:

Bellboy17 and Dash One like this.
  9. Hewes OP

Hewes OP Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
    Thanks for your knowledge Kevin!

10. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    I love the A7 attitude. Someone posts a report and everybody is like "SSHHHHH!!! Don't talk about it". You guys sell more people on Area 7 by trying to hide it than if you just sat back and enjoyed the ride. When we going fishing @Grady226 ? LOL!

11. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    A7 close it down it takes all of A13 fish......let the fish come home

South Sounder likes this.
  12. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    Why? You boys ain't gonna catch em anyway! Ditch the meat rods and get a downrigger!

13. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Fu...k that.....meat in the box....:-) if you would let them come home....nevermind I hate to troll

Hunter Dan likes this.
  14. Cornfed

Name:
    TOMMY DONLIN
    Boat:
    I finally got Kevin's notes from his talk. Main point was to troll North/South in Deception Pass. Best bet is on Max Ebb. And there are no fish in A7. :rofl:

Fishinnut, Dash One and FHisherman like this.
  15. “biteme”

“biteme” Killin kings

Name:
    Brian B
    Boat:
    26 osprey
    Purple googley eyed wild thing is the key but dont tell travis i spilled the beans

Cornfed likes this.
  16. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    I talked to Kevin before the meeting and he gave me a couple good tips. For starters, launch in Sekiu and hang a left.

[emoji867]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfed and FHisherman like this.
  17. FHisherman

FHisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    HaHa, this. Seriously, I tried to give people an understanding of how tidal currents push fish and bait around in the Islands, and why Chinook hold where they do. Get people thinking for themselves rather than just reading a "how to" book, which is really just "go here on this tide, and use this". Look at charts, tide predictions, get out on the water, and never stop learning, is my advice. This is stuff that works beyond the 'Juans too. And, because it's a PSA meeting, and not an open public forum, I don't mind giving up a couple helpful tid bits I may have lucked into.

Waterdog~ likes this.
  18. Fishinnut

Fishinnut I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ron Garner
    Boat:
    32 Proline Express
    Thanks Kevin for the stellar performance. Sorry I wasnt around earlier.
    Congratulations to Steve Arbaugh on the Scotty 2106 high speed downrigger. 2017-02-09 20.27.05.jpg