Thurs 6/30 267/277

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by mulegemike, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mulegemike

mulegemike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    Went out of Dana Point yesterday morning with my friend Todd looking for tuna. We picked up a mixed scoop of macks and sardines at the bait dock and ran straight out to the 277. A little rough on the outside but not too bad. Found some paddies on the way that only held some rat yellows or were dry.

Once we got to the 277 there was no life. We trolled and looked for any signs of fish but never saw any. After 3-4 hours we decided to head back inside to the 267 since a few guys on the radio said the 209 was dead also.

Conditions at the 267 seemed better with cleaner water up to 72.5. Worked a few schools of dolphin with birds working but never saw any fish with them. Trolled for a while more looking for paddies but just a slow day.

Back at the slip about 3:30. Logged 75 miles for the day. Hopefully the fish move in soon. The conditions look good closer in with a lot of bait in tight to the shore. Hope this report helps anyone going out for the weekend. Have a good 4th.

2. tom cindric

tom cindric Tom-broke-off

Name:
    all she's got
    Boat:
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Thanks for the report. I does help, i can scratch that one of my list for tomorrow.

3. rustman

rustman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rusty
    Boat:
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    Mike, we had pretty much the same day Thursday. We got to the 43 from MB at around 7:00 AM. We had seen a number of boats including some of the overnight and multi-day fleet from SD. Boats were fishing the high spot as well as all around and pretty spread out. We did not see any life (birds working, fish crashing or puddleing, dry kelps), nor did we see any fished hooked out of 30 boats with us. We fished that area until 10:00 AM and I was in the Bino's the entire time, man my head hurt.

We left that area and went outside to the 289. This area looked a little more fishy as we seen more Turns and more kelps, but still no visual sign of fish or sonar marks. We traveled in to the 181 and down the ridge to the upper tip of the 9 and didn't see anything.

We were back at the dock at 5:00 with good attitudes because we had another good day on the water with great friends.

Best of luck out there.

NewportMatt and REDNECK JASON like this.
  4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good effort guys! Better luck next time out!

5. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good effort! Taken that route many times, with and without results.

Coastal water is warming up. Hoping the dodo's will join the party soon!

6. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker

i was out the same day too but a bit different results. worked outside the 43 because the high spot was so crowded. got some dorado, bluefin, and yellows too. will be posting report soon.

Thanks for the info on the other areas as I wanted to check it out but never made it.

Ready4TheYellow likes this.
  7. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Good job guys!!! Your dues are being paid and soon you'll reap the rewards.

8. NewportMatt

NewportMatt Old Spool

Name:
    Captain Matt Schubert
    Boat:
    Frances B - WorldCat 26
    Your report is identical to my experiences the past few times out of Newport. Closer in seems to have all the life (5-7 miles off). Once I get much further out it is a desert.

Thanks for the report

9. nickb

nickb Newbie

Name:
    Nick Buchanan
    Boat:
    Bay Ranger
    I went out of Dana Point late-ish this morning. Ran out to the 287 - saw a few other guys out there - didn't see any fish. Came back just north of the 181. Saw a few birds spread out but working here and there. Stopped at 3 or 4 paddies - had one decent yellow follow a surface iron. Otherwise naught... Nice day - hopefully more fish move up soon!