Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a spinner setup so that when I have friends or family and taking them finishing, they dont get the birdsnest on my conventional reels. (Took my father in law last year I spent half the trip fixing his birdsnests lol).

I'm looking at the Thunnus and Stella.. This reel should be equilivant to a Trinidad 14A or 16A.. Want to flyline with it, and catch yft in the 25-40# size, in the overnight and 1.5d trip range.

The stellas are crazy expensive.. the thunnus looks more like in my price range. What's a good model for either of those, for the kind of fishing we'r gonna be doing?

Also, I noticed the Thunnus has bait mode.. does Stella have that too?

Is the 8000 model enough or do I need the 120000, in terms of Thunnus? I'll probably use 50# braid with a flouro topper.

Any rod recommendations to match it? I normally like phenix but can go with shimano too.

Upvote 0

tugasangler

Apr 9, 2016
Fort Lauderdale
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
Stellas don’t have bait runner feature. The thunnus is the stella of bait runner shimano reels however .

8k thunnus would be fine the 12k would make certain no fish would be too much but the 8k is much more easier on a novice user just for size reasons .

I have 8ft axis 15-40 on my thunnus and love it .. have caught some pretty decent snapper and king mackerel on it here in Florida . But I’ve only had the setup about 16 months .

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    If this is a loaner, a Daiwa BG4500 or BG5000 (capacity equivalents to the Thunnus 8000 and 12000, respectively). Add a Daiwa Saltist STJ70MHF, and call it a day.

I personally have the BG6500 as my 40lb spinner and have boated 20-40lb fish.

Don't need the bait mode to flyline with a spinner...

Reactions: tugasangler
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I have not used the Thunnus, however I do have a Stella 18000SWBHG and the matched with a Phenix Titan rod and its a beast. The Stella is an overkill for schoolie yft. I also have a Shimano Twin Power 10000SWBPG which I love just as much. It's less than half the price, holds about 300 yards of 65 lbs spectra and weighs almost 1/2 pound less (yes 1/2 pound!). For most applications this is more than enough and it is still as smooth as silk on hard runs, also note that it can still put down some serious drag pressure if needed. I would also recommend getting a med fast action rod w/some backbone instead of opting for a faster model.

Upvote 0