Thunderbird - SCI - 5/17

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by eric perez, May 20, 2019.

1. eric perez

eric perez stillapinhead

Name:
    eric perez
    Boat:
    no mas
    Report from Friday night...
    Been on a quest lately to get my son his first yellowtail... hes been watching YouTube videos and hes been so pumped up he almost couldnt contain himself anymore. Hes caught bass bonito barracuda skipjack rock fish and surf fish of all kinds, but no YT yet. So we booked an overnight trip on the Thunderbird a week ago when they had been bangin fish at San Clemente. Theyde been pretty steady on the fish 50 -70 a day... 50/50 ratio... rats to nice fish. Weather moved in on Wednesday, and they didn't fish Thursday or Friday so Im gettin a little anxious to say the least. I got confirmation @ about 2:30 Friday that we were a go, we trucked down to the landing, checked in @ 8:00... departing at 9:00... so we thought. When we didn't start boarding on time I knew something was up. We got to the bait receiver by 10:00... and were advised that we were gonna hang out there for an hour or two, that the weather was coming down rapidly, and that the bite had been mid morning to afternoon, so we shouldn't miss anything other than some really bad residuals. Guess it was 30 knot winds and 2-3 knots of current, 7-8ft @ 12 seconds crossing for the last two days. water down to 60.3 from 64.5. Nasty stuff.

Kid hit the rack straight away... I got everything rigged... and we fired up @ about 11:45 and were on our way. I woke up at 3:30 to use the facilities, and it was no joke, pretty nautical to say the least. But junior was still sound asleep, thank God. So I went back to the rack. Next think I hear is the boat throttle back, so I jump out my bunch and Junior not in his bunk??? I one-eyed half asleep run up the stairs... and there he is sittin in the galley with a burrito in one hand and a bottle of Valentines hot sauce in the other!!! :rofl:just BSing with the cook. Said he slept all night, never even woke up, didnt hear a thing LOL.

6:20am... were just pullin in tight to the island and its beautiful... dead calm... blue skies. Captain Jeff starts marking fish right away and they start chumming heavy... no raise... so we ran up the line West to East. Second stop we anchor up... Luis is throwing scoops as we get on the set. And then signs... fish are coming up. Big Calicos boiling all around the boat. Rats start to boil back behind them. Junior hooks a fish... calico. Next cast he gets BIT on his MegaBait... green mack... and he looks over at me and he knows this one aint no calico!! :finger: hes on the rail and its peelin drag off his Tranx 400... and a few minutes later... his first yellow ever hits the deck!! first one for the trip as well... he was so happy he didnt even know what to do... hahahaha... neither did I for that matter!!?? :lux: but the bite didnt last. I think we got 3 fish there. wide open shortly calicos. a few toads. 2 more Rats come on, and then nothing the rest of the morning until we moved off the island to the east onto the reefs. Got really windy and choppy out on that end. started catching rockfish, and then the yellows start going crazy in our chum line. But they would NOT come to the boat. They just sat 100 - 150 yards off the stern puttin on a show. 1:00... gettin late... We started getting bites... long soaks... but a pick bite... every 10 minutes a biter... I finally get bit... 30lb... Fathom15 - Seeker 270H-8... fun fish... think he would have gone almost 20lb... pretty close. We only got (7) yellows total for the day... I was just stoked my sons got his... and then I got one...

I really like fishing with Jeff... hes so in the know about what to do and how to get it done. Its never ever for lack of trying. And Steve & Luis on deck are top notch. Steve is the tangle master... amazing. they both would periodically take the time to show my son things, little tips, and I appreciated that so much. Its nerve racking to take your 10 year old on his first overnight 130 miles round trip in bad weather. But they were really cool. So not alot of fish... but one of my favorite trips Ive ever had. Proud Papa day for sure.

20190518_074717.jpg 20190518_074758.jpg 20190518_074813.jpg 20190519_121500.jpg

Tunatamer89, crabby, Wildman and 59 others like this.
  2. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    dude your kid looks STOKED congrats!!!

3. nu2reels

nu2reels Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None, I like others to drive while I fish
    great trip with the kid is when your both showing off your catch, Congrats! LOL

4. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    That’s awesome. My favorite part is the breakfast burrito part, plain old hilarious.

Don’t forget to save those pics and mount them up!

Sardine likes this.
  5. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice job Dad! Thanks for the report.

6. hanapah

hanapah Member

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    216 Cabo CC
    I still remember Capt Jeff's first fish. that was like 36years ago.
    Great times for both of you. If your lucky your son will never NOT want to go without his Pops

Haly0 likes this.
  7. eric perez

eric perez stillapinhead

Name:
    eric perez
    Boat:
    no mas
    I know right... he was already asking Steve how old he has to be to work on the boat! then he says... so if i get my drivers license at 16 for my truck... I can drive a skiff too right??? :appl:

hanapah likes this.
  8. dockrat88

dockrat88 no fish pulling against me shall prosper

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    whatever floats
    First yellow on the jig. Can't beat that

9. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

Name:
    jed
    Boat:
    ''the twisted ducker''
    Kids a stud!

10. eric perez

eric perez stillapinhead

Name:
    eric perez
    Boat:
    no mas
    he wants to throw the iron but hes not strong enough yet... we go out front of the house and start chuckin... he can fire light A1's and A2's pretty good. But "C's" and "45's" he peters out after about 10 casts... hahahaha... but in a couple years hell be firing them off for sure.

hanapah likes this.
  11. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report!

12. eric perez

eric perez stillapinhead

Name:
    eric perez
    Boat:
    no mas
    he really likes the Youtube channel by Bryan Timm. Local Guy... SD I think? catches mossy YT from his skiff.

Bryan... if you see this my kids gunnin for ya!!!

rick rouland and fishsmith like this.
  13. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice Eric! And crackers for the kid! :cheers:

14. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  15. d105

d105 Member

Name:
    d105
    Boat:
    Fish Cat 4
    Excellent!!!

16. Wasitrytofish

Wasitrytofish Member

Name:
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat:
    between boats...
    “Pure Sugar” is what my sons and friends have to say about the Thunderbird.
    congrats to your great day of catching with your son.
    i hope his 21st birthday in Vegas is equally rewarding as his first trip on the T Bird

hanapah and Haly0 like this.
  17. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    Yellows in candy land? Pure sugar is right

18. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Love these stories, thanks for sharing. He is HOOKED!

19. Hiimhaiii

Hiimhaiii Newbie

Name:
    Haime
    Boat:
    Malibu Ocean kayak
    Thanks for the report! Happy to hear your boy get his first yellow.

20. Michael Murphy

Michael Murphy Newbie

Name:
    Murph
    Boat:
    None
    Eric, that is awesome! Nothing like the feeling as a kid to catching your first YT. Not great that you didn't get into them but your kid must have a little extra stoke knowing he was one of the only anglers to catch a YT that day. I caught my first YT as a kid (12 or 13?) on the "old" Thunderbird as well..way back in the early 80s. It was one of those memorable trips where only 5 YT were caught but I somehow managed to catch 2 of them (and win jackpot). I was hooked after that and ended up becoming a pinhead on the boat. He is going to be itching for sure to get out soon!