Thunderbird - Late Report

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by C-4 Fishing, May 10, 2017.

1. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Sorry for the late report guys. I always appreciate you guys that do on the water reports and the ones loaded with Intel. I always began the day saying I'm gonna do one of those amazing posts like Corey and a few other people on here, but I end up getting a mile or two off the coast and all that fades away.

My buddy Adam and I had a couple spots booked on the Tbird leaving Thursday the 4th and fish Friday the 5th. The boat leaves at 9pm so we decided to leave the families at home and get down to the landing early and relax.

Got to the peninsula around 5pm and go to the Class of 47 for a couple drinks. End up having a few with Dennis Rodman who was playing nothing but 311 on the jukebox and got on some dudes case about trying to play something different. Was actually pretty funny. He was definitely on his way to having a fun night and a really hard morning.

From there had some apps and another cold one at Harborside Restaursnt which is attached to Daveys Locker. Really good food and at $5 happy hour prices, we filled up.

Thunderbird loaded up a little before 9 with slightly less than a full boat. Our crew consisted of Jeff to be our captain the next day, Goofy in the galley and Ricardo and Bryan on the deck. All of these guys are top notch at what they do, they were amazing.

Plan was to hit San Clemente and see what conditions we were presented with when we got there. Stayed up talking shit and drinking some beers with a few guys and then sacked out for the drive over.

Woke up as the engine was winding down at grey light and got out in deck. Jeff was checking for some WSB close to the island but saw nada. We got a little way from the island and did some rock fishing in 100 - 160 feet of water. I have never been the biggest fan of rockfishing, but it was a lot of fun. Lots of fish being caught with some nice 4-5 pound reds and Boccaccio being brought up as well including one nice Ling. It was a good time to see everyone catch some fish, get the stink off and watch everyone to see who I was NOT gonna fish next to when the yellowtail fishing started. Fortunately, most of the people on the boat were relatively knowledgeable and paid attention to what they were doing. As an added bonus everyone was polite, respectful and very jovial, even for being early in the morning. We did a few drifts and got around 200 assorted rockfish.

The tide switched and Jeff made the move close to the island for yellows. We spent the remainder of the day catching 10 - 25 pound yellows with most in the 15 pound range. Mixed in were a number of hard pulling 8 pound bonito. Nothing wide open but a solid bite. We moved around a few times but always ended coming back to the same pot, as the Ultra and El Dorado were all fishing the same area.

I ended up with 4 solid yellows, a few bonito that I gifted to the less fortunate and a limit of rockfish. My buddy got one yellow and couldn't stay away from the bonito and the same guy that busted him off 3 times, also a limit of rockfish. I think the boat ended with around 100 yellows, 40 bonito and 200 rockfish.

All in all it was one of the most fun times I've had fishing in a long time. The crew was amazing and I hope that someone on their staff reads this and commends them. A majority of my fellow anglers were great people and we caught fish, which is always a bonus when out on the water.

All my rockfish were caught on a red jig (sorry can't remember the name right now) tipped with squid and all yellows were caught on 20# with a 1/4 slider and live squid. A few of us tried the jigs but had no takers on the YT. I also was able to hook and hand a good yellow later on in the day. She busted the fish off at gaff but was able to get her own fish about 1/2 an hour later. She did awesome.

Not much left to say other than thank you to the Tbird and to my fellow anglers. Was the day I needed and I couldn't keep a smile off my face.

Good luck this season, stay safe and god bless you all.

2. C-4 Fishing

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
  3. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Great job.
    Thanks for the read. good stuff.

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  4. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    Looks like you had a good trip. Glad to see you came home with a bunch of fish! How many people were on you overnight? About 30? I usually stay away from Davey's unless it's an overnight+. Fishing with 50-75 people is not my area of interest.

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  5. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Good trip on the Dirtybird!

Class of 47, love that bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pgnracr and C-4 Fishing like this.
  6. C-4 Fishing

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I feel ya on not hitting their overcrowded boats. I believe there were 28 anglers which meant you had to work/turn your fish but it wasn't too bad.

I really like the boat. It's no frills and has a tiny galley and standard bunk room but sits low to the water and they got the fish outta the sun/gunny sacs as soon as they had time catch up. Not sure where they were putting em, wasn't paying attention, but the fish was nice and fresh all day.

I will definitely fish with them again.

7. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Sounds like a fun trip!

How deep of water were you getting the yellows in?

Were the yellow biting on the top, mid column, or bottom?

Congrats on the fish and thanks for the report!!

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  8. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Let's get to the important part of this post!!! If you have never been to CLASS!!!! Then you are really missing out on one of the best old time Glousterknock offs around!!! People LIE about anything and everything from who has the longest ROD or tiny POLE!!! How that paddy had solid 25# YT when in reality the fillets fit in a sandwich size ziplock but SHIT you went out got lines wet with a few great SOCAL peeps!!! The best around!!! Only place where guys surf and fish !!! Where else can you get the Hottest chicks, with fish gut residue under your nails!!! And she won't say shit!!! You know why??!! We will just say F__k it!!! I'll go back out with the boys chasing paddies!!!! So here is to another great summer and fall with the Boys!!! Oh ya don't forget to Cruz by Class!!! TL Jeff

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Haly0 and C-4 Fishing like this.
  9. C-4 Fishing

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    We were sitting in around 60 feet of water and all the bites were coming from mid to deep mid.

Pgnracr and Haly0 like this.
  10. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    I checked you guys in for that trip. Was fortunate enough to get a no show and join in on the fun (best perk of the job). Had a blast sharing the rail with everyone. We had a solid group of anglers on board. I'll let the boys know their hard work doesn't go unrecognized. They have an RSW on the bow of the boat to keep those fish fresh (the only boat in our fleet with one) Hopefully we'll see you down at the landing soon!

- hal

C-4 Fishing, Pgnracr and colemans224 like this.
  11. C-4 Fishing

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Thank you brother.
    Was great sharing the rail with you.

Haly0 likes this.
  12. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    An awesome day and great report! Congrats on the four Tails!

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  13. remington

remington Member

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    Spartacus
    Agreed. Any trip that starts out at the "Class" will be rewarded with great fishing it seems. Love that place!

Great report thanks for sharing.

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  14. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    Dennis Rodman is a principal (owner) at class of 47. He was a regular at Pier Street Annex in Costa Mesa before it shut down recently. We couldn't get it through Dennis's head that my girlfriend was a customer and not a server and he continued to order drinks from her. Never did get it straight. Just went along with his program.
    Great job on the fishing great report it's nice to go on a comfortable party boat sometimes.

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  15. lilrick

lilrick Member

Name:
    Lilrick
    Boat:
    whaler
    Thunder chicken does it AGAIN! Thanks for the 411.

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  16. bob12201

bob12201 Member

Name:
    Matt M.
    Boat:
    I Wish
    They took out the bow bait tank and have a decent sized RSW up there now!

C-4 Fishing likes this.
  17. C-4 Fishing

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Very nice
    Captain Brockman knows his shizzz

18. Wasitrytofish

Wasitrytofish Member

Name:
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat:
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    My boys and I really enjoy this boat and crew.
    Nice work, glad you got a few.

Haly0 and C-4 Fishing like this.