Thunderbird Courtside Seats 1.5 10.01-10.03.2019

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by dtfisherman, Oct 4, 2019.

1. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Thunderbird Courtside Seats 1.5 10.01-10.03.2019

I’ll admit that I’m a fishing fanatic and also a butt branded Clipper Nation fanatic as well. If you’ve the misfortune of seeing my mark it looks pretty beaten so you know I’ve been a fan long before Kawhi and PG13. Even before Lob City with Griffin, CP3 and DJ. Why am I talking about the Clips on BD instead of at Clipperholics? Well here’s the catch, kite fishing is not fishing on sportboats, it’s courtside seats to the elite of the Bluefin fishery. Decked 100#ers unbelievably look like little guys when compared with the Cows (200#ers) and Super Cows (300#ers) that come to play. The Thunderbird is one of the few in the non-San Diego Southern Cal fleet making a serious commitment to mastering this craft. Two commercial helium tanks, electric kite rods, 5-6 50W-80W filled with 200# braided reels, 5-6 3X-4X rods, 200#-300# crimped multi-hook leaders, freezer full of large fresh frozen local caught flying fish… is the thousands of dollars financial commitment. Flying the kite, rigging, clipping, eyeing and tap dancing the flying fish, in a coordinated and rhythmic pattern is a team practiced skill and a total manpower commitment. Captain Brian, Co-Cap Chris, Mitch, Cole and multi-purpose player Goofy are still in the early stages of this new system and offense of kite flying but they are all in. Which I wholeheartedly recommend if you've never been, buy a ticket to and go fly a kite! For the price of a nose bleed cross town rival Laker ticket you can sit courtside on the Thunderbird and witness beasts that haven’t graced our waters for almost a hundred years. And if you’re exceptionally lucky, they’ll call your number so you can get on the court and pull and feel the power of these majestic creatures all the while the crew has your back. If a Cow or Super Cow is on the hook, it’ll become a tag team event where one to even up to ten other anglers will offer “fresh hands” to help land the beautiful beast. On sportboats, kite fishing, it’s not a one on one game like most pure fishing is. Its boat, crew and angler or anglers pitted against one of the most powerful pelagics in the sea. I’ve painted you a picture and they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtside seats really has no words but you will experience awe…

Here’s the commercial free routine report. 3 Kite fish decked all estimated a solid 100#’s each. 1 3oz sinker rigged mackerel, 40# fluoro, 3/0 circle, hookset 80-90#er. 4 fish total. 30 Anglers. Fishweather Forecast for the weekend through Tuesday was nasty: gale warnings of 20-30mph winds, 5’-6’ swells with under 10 second +/-intervals, small craft advisory and cooler temps. This is A&A fishing which signifies bringing Arms and Armor. Arms for the blue beasts and Armor for the seas fury. A few that were likely infected with a virulent strain of Bluefin fever braved the preexisting conditions and managed to score a few points or a handful for their effort-insanity. Mainly they survived to fight another day. Wednesday forecast was flat and calm and all of us know that nature doesn’t believe in forecasts but in my excitement I’d forgotten…All the anglers that were fit or on the skinny side were bumped around like popcorn all the way to the tuna grounds. Those of us sporting a few extra pounds had a 7 hour flashback of bunk rock and roll but luckily no air time. Maybe I shouldn’t try so hard to lose weight otherwise I can’t sleep in rough weather like my popcorned friend Kenny. Why am I talking so much about weather? Weather changes the home court. Can you imagine our Dodgers having to go to Anaheim Stadium and play the NLDS games there? For almost all of August and September the Bluefin have made the backside of SCI home court. After these back to back storms the grounds moved to a unknown and undisclosed location to us armed and well-shaken anglers. From 5AM to 4PM we were looking for clues where 500+ tons of Bluefin had disappointingly disappeared to. Fortunately for us, Captain Brian’s code group were looking too and covering a massive amount of bight from San Nicholas to Tanner to 267 to the 43. Adam from the New LoAn called us in to the new zone 20-30 miles off SCI to a new grounds, court. After a 2 hour+ run the 7th inning rally produced 3 kite fish and Vincent’s 1.5 hour mac bit battle. The weather changed the pattern from herds of Cows grazing to wolfpacks of them roving. When the weather settles hopefully with the upcoming moon phases the Big Boys will let us know where they want to play. Vegas has the Clippers as odds on favorites of 7/2 to win the NBA Championship this 2019-2020 season. They’ve also posted the backside of SCI as the same 7/2 odds for the return of the Big Blues. Of course I’m betting on my team and SCI backside but I’ll take a side bet on the Pelicans of 100-1 with Zion leading the young pack. That said, the 32 30 line and SC Basin Buoy is where I’d side bet they’ll be if they don’t want to play anymore on the backside 80 fathom line of SCI. Courtside seats are nice but be aware that the pre-season will pass in a flash with one or two more moon phases and then it’ll be time to get serious, game time. Hope to see you on the court, on the rail and out of your seat with bent rods. Of course mine bent just a little more than your’s…

He is good.

Ps. Pic attached is courtesy of FishDope.

SC BASIN BUOY PIC.jpg

2. Colbachlaw

Colbachlaw Shake N Bake

Name:
    Mike C
    Boat:
    Henriques 42' Express
    Do you have a return key on your computer?

3. LSRNoonan

LSRNoonan Member

Name:
    John Noonan
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    :)

Iron Rod likes this.
  4. Megamonster

Megamonster Newbie

Name:
    Darryl
    Boat:
    Robalo
    Nice wording now I now were to go first

5. Iron Rod

Iron Rod Im your Huckleberry!

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    All off them. Usually.
    :confused:Holly T4ump Shift fro Bro!!! no need to g3t that Hiccups!!!! excited !n!more hicup!!!! heck shi!t!what's !t!what's I wanted to stay.:turkey is You're eloquent post is a POS! :nopity::shithappens: thanks for the update.bieber

6. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Good report.. tough read.:eyepoppin

yellowfish26 and mcrae like this.
  7. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
  8. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  9. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    You lost me at clipper nation fanatic.

yellowfish26, Groper and Derek024 like this.
  10. skrilla

skrilla allirks

Name:
    Len
    Boat:
    plastic fantastic
    fixed

11. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
  12. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    say what you mean / mean what you say :food-smil

13. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the write up.

14. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    What are you talking about he hit it twice? LOL

litzsout619 likes this.
  15. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Oh how I miss my 70-80’s Lakers! Spoiled rotten we were.

Sorry Jonathan, but there’s a new sheriff in town. :2gunsfiring_v1:
    upload_2019-10-5_12-45-34.jpeg

Guess I just removed myself from any future fishing invites on the 31 Cabo!!!

16. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Can't we just be friends...

Not courtside but close enough to periodically want to cover my friend, Pastor Dave's ears.

Ps I hit the tab 4X not 2. It never ceases to amaze me that Jesus chose fisherman to change the world.

DT DAVE CLIPPERS PIC.jpg

stella marina and b-reel like this.
  17. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I always thought that Clippers fans were the ones that couldn’t afford Lakers tickets.

18. kzaam1

kzaam1 Member

Name:
    Kzaam
    Boat:
    Jasmine
    Who is Brian? I thought Jeffrey Markland was the captain of the thunderbird.

Goat Springsteen likes this.
  19. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    Yes, Jeff is the Captain but he took the day off. Brian took over for our trip and did awesome under the bight circumstances and conditions. Chris is the able Night Captain. All-purpose Goofy also has a very weathered second or third generational Captain's license as well. He's a bit taller twin to Walter White on Breaking Bad so I wouldn't complain about the food even a little bit...

BREAKING BAD WALTER WHITE IMAGE.jpg

20. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    First of all being a fan is never about how deep your pockets are. Money can buy tickets but it cannot buy a fan. Being a fan is emotional and instinctual not intellectual or financial. My good friend and father-in-law was a Cub fan. His brother tried to convert him to being a Dodger fan because we live in LA and his wife, my Auntie Irene, was the executive secretary for the O’Malley’s til her retirement. They did convince him to go to a couple games over the years. One game in particular, he was sitting in the stands near third base when Kirk Gibson hit his historical 1988 walk off home run. He worked and lived almost his entire life in LA, he died in 1993, a Cub fan.

Secondly, even many Laker fans cannot afford Laker tickets. I’m guessing there’s millions of Laker fans that have never bought a Laker ticket. You may have hit a bit of truth about Clipper tickets though. If you ever go to a Clipper game, it’s okay to wear your Laker jersey because half the crowd are wearing them anyway. They just love basketball.

Lastly, I’m thinking this thought of your’s was a flashback you’ve just recalled from years ago or you just don’t watch the news. To test your thought, allowing but not agreeing that financial status, being rich or poor, determines fans. Two fans come to mind that might prove the thought wrong and they may be able to afford Laker tickets. One fan, Ballmer bought the Clippers with change from one of his pockets. And according to Forbes, he could buy the Lakers too with change from his other pocket. Pretty sure the seats will be included. The other fan, you might know him, I grew up knowing him as Zeke from Cabin Creek and Mr. Clutch but today as the Logo. He I understand already has lifetime seats.

Go Clippers!