TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    Hi guys.. so I just ordered a Xsonic ss175m 20degrees thru hull transducer I was thinking of installing it on the opposite side of the water intake. It’s about 9” from Stern and 4” from Kiel . What do you guys think? Is this a good place for it?

44587723-5A21-4879-A1DB-9C7CBF3FECC6.jpeg

53D9B14D-CDFA-4A3B-A575-D8FD954C09CB.jpeg

Reactions: Cy Bodden
    Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    Definitely read Mfgr's recommendations for install. Would there be turbulence off that strake ahead of blue tape?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    I don’t think so... plus its quite a ways up.. and I will try to get as close to the Kiel as possible
    Don't hesitate calling factory and picking their brains; cutting a hole in the the hull has got to be one of the biggest pucker factors of any BD'er. I did it once, so I'm an expert :)
    Good luck on install.

Reactions: fly liner
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Just make sure there is nothing else upstream of where you plan to mount the transducer. The less turbulence, the better. That seems like a good spot.

Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    Don't hesitate calling factory and picking their brains; cutting a hole in the the hull has got to be one of the biggest pucker factors of any BD'er. I did it once, so I'm an expert :)
    Good luck on install.
    😂.. yeah.. measure 5 times and drill once😂

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    You might need a third hole to put a proper strainer on that bait tank intake and a Groco flanged seacock. That looks like a huge hole! That is what he said.

Upvote 0

Keitha

Oct 2, 2013
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    KA
    Boat
    Grady White 232 & 18' BW Outrage
    Curious Why you went with the Stainless Steel (SS) transducer instead of the Brass (B)?
    Isn't the Stainless is intended for Aluminum hulls?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Curious Why you went with the Stainless Steel (SS) transducer instead of the Brass (B)?
    Isn't the Stainless is intended for Aluminum hulls?

You can use stainless or brass on fiberglass boats. You should only put stainless on aluminum boats. This is mainly because of the aluminum is highly anodic while copper/brass is more neutral. However, stainless steel is also anodic so they are less reactive when you consider galvanic corrosion. On fiberglass boats, the fiberglass does not conduct electricity so any of the material is fine. Bronze is more on the neutral side so its slightly better, but you are not going to have galvanic corrosion. You need a difference of potential between two conductive materials.

The only restriction in the Airmar instruction is that you can't put bronze transducers on aluminum or stainless boats. The restriction does not apply to fiberglass boats so you can use either type.
    1620265985726.png

BTW, there is a huge difference between brass and bronze. For marine applications, you want BRONZE parts. Brass would be eaten away by the salt water in no time. That is why you don't use Home Depot brass fittings on a boat if salt water can get to it. The bronze fittings that water departments use for their plumbing are more expensive and last a lifetime.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0