Throw away your GPS spots!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by MalibuFrank, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MalibuFrank

MalibuFrank Newbie

Name:
    Frank Nielsen
    Boat:
    13' skiff
    California Department of Fish and Game News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 12, 2012

Contacts:
    John Budrick, DFG Marine Region, (650) 413-1501
    Joanna Grebel, DFG Marine Region, (831) 649-2804
    Andrew Hughan, DFG Communications, (916) 322-8944

DFG Announces Changes to 2012 Ocean Sportfishing Regulations from Point Conception to the Mexico Border Effective Nov. 1

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is limiting fishing depths in the Southern Groundfish Management Area to reduce interactions with cowcod. DFG's action follows a recommendation made by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) at its September meeting.

DFG has determined that cowcod take is projected to exceed the federal limit established for the non-trawl sector, which includes the recreational and commercial fixed-gear fisheries, in 2012, unless in-season action is taken. Therefore pursuant to Section 27.20 of Title 14, DFG is limiting recreational groundfish fishing depths to 50 fathoms (300 feet) in the Southern Groundfish Management Area (34°27' north latitude to the Mexico Border) effective on Nov. 1, 2012.

Cowcod are one of the largest rockfish species, reaching a length of 37 inches and weight of 29 pounds; they range in color from orange to pale pink/white.

Cowcod cannot be taken or possessed by sport anglers in California. Possession was prohibited to facilitate rebuilding the stock when it was declared overfished in 1999. However, they are incidentally taken on occasion when anglers are targeting other species. By limiting bottom fishing activity for target species to shallower depths it is anticipated that incidental take of cowcod will be reduced.

"Allowable take limits for cowcod are the lowest of all the West Coast groundfish managed by PFMC, and these low limits pose the greatest constraint to Southern California anglers and a significant challenge to fishery managers," said Paul Hamdorf, Acting DFG Marine Region Manager. "Implementing a 50-fathom depth constraint is expected to keep cowcod impacts within allowable limits and maintain conservation goals, while still providing anglers with fishing opportunities through the end of the year."

Since being declared overfished, DFG and the Fish and Game Commission have worked closely with PFMC and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to implement protective measures for cowcod, including closing critical habitat (Cowcod Conservation Area) and prohibiting retention in most fisheries. Cowcod primarily occur in depths greater than 50 fathoms in Southern California, and are slow-growing and long-lived. Full color illustrations of cowcod are available in the California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations booklet to help anglers identify and release this fish.

For more information regarding recreational groundfish regulations and to stay informed of in-season regulation changes, please call the Recreational Groundfish Fishing Regulation Hotline at (831) 649-2801, or visit the DFG Marine Region website at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine.
    # # #

Note: This e-mail account is used to distribute information to the public. Do not reply to this e-mail; instead, direct questions or comments regarding the information contained in this e-mail to the Department staff listed as points of contact for this subject - thank you.

2. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    We haven't been able to keep cow cod in a while. How is this new?

3. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    I don't really see what's been changed here?

4. BARREDSURFPERCH

BARREDSURFPERCH THE BSP

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    Surfboards
    It was 60 fathoms now it is 50.

5. junkyardEd

junkyardEd Special Baiter Wizard

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Still can't,, the change is in depth limit. from 60 to 50 while fishing for other species.

6. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    So if I catch a cow cod in 40 fathoms, I can keep it?

7. junkyardEd

junkyardEd Special Baiter Wizard

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Old saying is "You can do anything You want if You are willing to pay the price"

8. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    To me,what this is saying between the lines is- the cowcod are coming back better than expected and are now more likely to be caught in more numbers in shallower nearshore waters. Now by federal mandate, " They " can legally, without public comment or recourse can increase the effect of their agenda on " Us "

9. Puddlin Jack

Puddlin Jack Registered Abuser

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    Cabo 38
    Ok, I just threw away all my GPS spots. Now what?

10. Ulua_93h

Ulua_93h Member

Name:
    Unknown
    Boat:
    Unfortunately
    Thats just wonderful

11. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    I do a lot of codding off of the San Diego coast, and have some good spots between 50-60 fathoms and have never caught a Cow. I always wanted to get one just for the heck of it then send it back to the depths with my 3 pound release rig (works great on jumbo bocaccio).

Attached Files:

12. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Don't be pimping spots off my bro Bing :D

Bryons one fishy dude! I've got some pics like that with Bry as well ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

13. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    No.
    No change in cowcod regs per se.
    Not allowed to fish bottom between 50-60 fathoms anymore, purportedly to further protect cowcod from being bycatch while you target deep water Lizards:p:

14. fisher3

fisher3 Deckhand

Name:
    Spliff
    Boat:
    18 ft CC Starcract "Kelp Runner" 224 Chaparral Fisherman
    Fish Mex

15. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    One more way crowd us into smaller areas, thus over fishing those areas even more. Should be down to 180ft in a few years. The worst part is for those people that have spent many years fishing areas that don't get hammered because people don't take the time to find them. Now they too will be forced to fish with the masses.

I hope they don't make it illegal to poop more than two times a day. That would be tough.

j

16. socal538

socal538 Newbie

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Miss Adventure
    In the near future the only place we will be aloud to get fish will be from Walmart.

17. LLthesign

LLthesign Triple G

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    17' Proline CC
    This will mean no more bottom fishing at the 14 mile bank... that really sucks. Have to find a new place to pick up fish tacos on the way to Avalon.

18. kantstudien

kantstudien Newbie

So... instead of banning commercial trawlers (which are anticipated to take cowcod as bycatch) they reduce the depth for sport fishermen even more?

WTF? How about trying to actually solve problems?

19. vinhtran

vinhtran Member

Name:
    Vinh
    Boat:
    none
    Went on a 3/4 day last week and this guy near me caught one. I think we were drifting at about 250 feet deep. I would assume it was a good 25lbs. So was this illegal, or is that starting on Nov 1st?

20. DITCH CLEANER

DITCH CLEANER Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    party
    well that sucks but I seldom have seen a cow cod I think I have seen 2 in 8 yrs of party boat fishing.