TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
Does anyone have experience mounting a thru hull on their bayrunner?

the distance between my strakes on the bottom of the hull is 3 and 1/4 inch.

it looks like the SS175 series might be too big since the strakes will interfere with the transducer. The SS75 series are 3 and 1/8. I might have to flatten the strakes a little which I am okay with but I am wonder if there are any better options out there that some of you guys might know about? Also where you guys placed your through hulls. I really need a thru hull for the offshore fishing I do and cant get transom mounted xducers to work.

Thanks!

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
I knew someone who tried it back in the 90's and it did not work any better because we think there is a ton of air bubbles caused by all the strakes on the bottom of the boat. Air bubbles are what ruins the picture. We ended up mounting the transom mount tranducer on a piece of plywood 1/2" x 4"x 20" and attached it with a c clamp at various places on the transom and various depths until we found a spot and depth that worked and then permantly mounted it in that spot.

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I knew someone who tried it back in the 90's and it did not work any better because we think there is a ton of air bubbles caused by all the strakes on the bottom of the boat. Air bubbles are what ruins the picture. We ended up mounting the transom mount tranducer on a piece of plywood 1/2" x 4"x 20" and attached it with a c clamp at various places on the transom and various depths until we found a spot and depth that worked and then permantly mounted it in that spot.

And to this very day, the plywood is still firmly attached to the transom. :D

That's the problem with transom mounted transducers. Once you find the sweet spot, you never want to touch it again. We found the sweet spot on my buddy's boat after many tries. One day, he took the transducer off. I had the look of horror on my face when I saw that transducer was moved. We never got it to the same exact spot since. We got it close enough I told him that I wasn't going to mess with it anymore. That is what he gets for even touching it after we found the sweet spot.

TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
Do you guys think it would be okay to put the transducer between 2 strakes? I wonder how bad the air pockets are with strakes