socal_matt

Yakker
Jan 4, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
12' Ocean Kayak aka "The Banana"
Its been a while since I last posted anything here, so here it goes.

My friend and I went out for good morning fishing session out of Newport Harbor. We started off by stopping at the bait barge to test out some of these Gulp Jerk Shad I bought. Had some fun messing around with all the short cuda and bass, then we decided that was enough and we made bait outside the harbor. We made bait pretty easily, caught plenty of mackerel and a couple baby bonito. After this we motored on a little south and parked right off the kelp line to fish for bass and halibut with maybe a yellowtail if they were around. After sitting there for an hour or so, my friend goes to drop his live mac back down to the bottom when something picks it up and starts running with his mac. He panicked a bit and put his reel in gear before the fish could swallow it and ended up have the fish ripping the bait off the hook after 30 seconds of peeling drag. By the way it ran, it seemed like it was the elusive yellowtail in the area.

At this point my friend was pretty pissed, which I would be too. Then as I was throwing my Big Hammer into the kelp, I hear the clicker go off a little bit. I asked my friend whose it was and he said it was mine, as I look at my rod I see it bouncing a lot so I cautiously put my reel in gear not knowing if the fish had it or not. Then I felt a quite a lot of weight that immediately went slack. This really confused me, so I start to reel in when I see a splash in the distance, then another splash, and finally this huge tail fin breaks the surface and I realize, "Oh shit....I hooked a thresher". At this point I think the thresher realized it too since it then took off on a short run and then got wrapped up in the line making itself just dead weight underneath the boat. I slowly haul it to the boat and we tail gaffed it, then all hell broke loose since the fish was still pretty green. I told my friend to un-gaff it but he was insistent on holding on, so we managed to bring it on the boat, tail rope it and slit its throat to bleed out and threw it over the side of the boat. After this, we went a little more south where my friend's bait got raked by something on the bottom but he couldn't connect. Got checked by DFG too, they were some really cool guys. Chatted with them for a little bit, they were pretty stoked about the thresher too. Altogether it was a pretty good day for me, although the thresher wasn't a monster it was still a nice surprise. Had the steaks last night and they were AWESOME!!!! Tasted just like an actual steak just more tender. Had never eaten shark before this, but I heard that thresher tastes delicious, that's why I kept this one.

For those of you who want to know what it was caught on: Flylined mackerel with a 1/2 oz slider, 65# braid with 30# monofilament leader in 60 ft of water.

Water was around 72 degrees but very murky since it was stirred up by this swell.
thresher.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Perfect! :appl:

take 1 (or 4) of those steaks and put them in a ziplock with minced garlic, olive oil, and a bunch of cilantro. refrigerate for 24 hours, and without rinsing, put them on the grill.

You will find that T-shark becomes a very desirable by-catch. :D

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Perfect! :appl:

take 1 (or 4) of those steaks and put them in a ziplock with minced garlic, olive oil, and a bunch of cilantro. refrigerate for 24 hours, and without rinsing, put them on the grill.

You will find that T-shark becomes a very desirable by-catch. :D

BY-CATCH! We have a fish hold full of swords, opah, etc. And some green thresher. Capt. Johnny asks if I want something to take home. Sword dries out to easy.. Opah I just take some fatty parts off one the seals chewed on for sushi. A little green thresher...makes my dick hard. Texture of sword but doesn't dry out. A bit better flavor IMO. I make fish sandwiches out of the swords the seals chewed on.

Green thresher was sold as "Sword" for many many years until the feds said it had to be labeled proper and the skin left on sword and shark so the customer could tell the difference. If the general public only knew. They'd be buying the "Shark" at a third the price yet better on the plate.

SoCal Matt....you scored!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
I just had Mako for dinner a few minutes ago, shark is fantastic

And so just so you guys know...T shark and mako is best if you don't steak it. Take a loin, cut it into about 6 inch long sections. Then cut it lengthwise or at a very shallow bias angle. Along the grain. Much better texture and holds moisture better...IMO. (From a guy who has his choice of fish...and eats a LOT of shark.)

And I'll cook you some shovelnose (without telling you what it is) that is outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kareem Korn
Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    And so just so you guys know...T shark and mako is best if you don't steak it. Take a loin, cut it into about 6 inch long sections. Then cut it lengthwise or at a very shallow bias angle. Along the grain. Much better texture and holds moisture better...IMO. (From a guy who has his choice of fish...and eats a LOT of shark.)

And I'll cook you some shovelnose (without telling you what it is) that is outstanding.
    When should we be over for dinner? I will try almost anything once...

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
    Dec 5, 2004
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Spotfin
    When should we be over for dinner? I will try almost anything once...

Shovelnose was actually a favorite of native socal native Indians and was listed ( I don't know it it still is) as excellent table fare by the DFG. Look a fucking cow. You would'nt think to eat it, if you think about it.

I use to buy food/wine for national chains and big resorts. When we would do "blind" taste tests...you'd be amazed what the palates of $250K a year chefs and $100K+ sommeliers found to be the best. $2 buck chuck consistently beat out $200 a bottle French shit and flat iron steak was found to be the #2 only to tenderloin.

Close yer eyes and open yer mind. Tuna, tails, and Cbass suck.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
    Apr 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA.
    Name
    Max
    Boat
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Bud B said:
    Shovelnose was actually a favorite of native socal native Indians and was listed ( I don't know it it still is) as excellent table fare by the DFG. Look a fucking cow. You would'nt think to eat it, if you think about it.

I use to buy food/wine for national chains and big resorts. When we would do "blind" taste tests...you'd be amazed what the palates of $250K a year chefs and $100K+ sommeliers found to be the best. $2 buck chuck consistently beat out $200 a bottle French shit and flat iron steak was found to be the #2 onfore?ly to

You now have my attention. More so than before. I'm listening.

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
    Dec 5, 2004
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Spotfin
    Mackeral. Bait. Right? One of my favorite sushi is Saba. And then there is the Salted Hibachi Mackeral at a Japanese place in a strip mall on Convoy St. in San Diego I drive 20 miles for. That crispy mackerel calls to me.

Most Caucasian Americans have been conditioned to "like" what the American market wants to sell them. Salmon, Seabass, Halibut, Swordfish, Catfish, etc. And even sportfisherman get into a narrowed field of taste due to popular opinion, etc. Sheep.

None of which is based on ones own personal taste preference.

I was on a sport boat years ago. We were into BFT, YFT, Abacore, etc. Guys were stomping on skipjack and kicking them out the scuppers. The cook comes out of the galley with a couple big trays of sushi and Poki. Everyone on the boat gobbled it up. When it's all gone he lets everyone know it was all skipjack.

Same guy had a full galley on a 3/4 day praising his Calico fish sandwiches. Yet I had only filleted up cuda for him.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Bud, I just meant that he caught the t-shark as by-catch. I target them! :D (cause its killer meat!)

I will definately try your suggestion next one I get.

Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
    Dec 5, 2004
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Spotfin
    Bud, I just meant that he caught the t-shark as by-catch. I target them! :D (cause its killer meat!)

I know you know yer shit Mike. I was just playing off yer verbage.

Head and gut it as soon as it hits the deck or after a quick pic. Sharks don't have bladders. They excrete urea out of their blood through tissue. When a shark dies, the urea in it's blood starts to turn to ammonia and leaches into tissue. T sharks and Mako's it isn't to bad but if you dress them ASAP you will have the best product.

I'm just drooling over SoCal Matts one. Nice "Veal" size one.

Upvote 0

socal_matt

Yakker
    Jan 4, 2012
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Head and gut it as soon as it hits the deck or after a quick pic. Sharks don't have bladders. They excrete urea out of their blood through tissue. When a shark dies, the urea in it's blood starts to turn to ammonia and leaches into tissue. T sharks and Mako's it isn't to bad but if you dress them ASAP you will have the best product.

Thats almost exactly what we did once we caught that T-shark. I just cut a slit right underneath the head to bleed it out. That picture was taken probably an hour and a half after it was subdued and bled out.

Upvote 0

socal_matt

Yakker
    Jan 4, 2012
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat

The funny thing is that my friend and I were targeting t-sharks for a couple months straight with no luck at all, then this time we tried to change it up, yet we finally caught that t-shark that eluded us for those months. The other funny thing is that I was actually in the midst of telling him that my boss was saying that you don't usually catch t-sharks this time of year because the water is too warm and threshers like cooler water like mid 60s, as I was telling my friend this the rod starts to go off and behold...I had a thresher on the end of my line.

Reactions: rile-b-fishn
    Upvote 0

milligan

Almost A Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    redlands
    Name
    mike milligan
    Boat
    the legend
    Yes or just marinate in zesty or Tuscan Italian salad dressing. I grilled up a bunch last weekend and served it over the tri colored vegetable pasta with a walnut based pesto sauce . It was a very simple great summer dish, a lot of color on the plate. It has to be one of the best tasting fish in the sea

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    on behalf of a lot of BD I say thanks for your time and educating lots of us

I use to buy food/wine for national chains and big resorts. When we would do "blind" taste tests...you'd be amazed what the palates of $250K a year chefs and $100K+ sommeliers found to be the best. $2 buck chuck consistently beat out $200 a bottle French shit and flat iron steak was found to be the #2 only to tenderloin.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express

Agreed. Shovelnose is very good, as are angel sharks. Leopard Shark is awesome. Bat ray wings are very tasty if you know what you are doing. As for yellowtail and Cbass, I only like the collars, which is incredible....olive oil, soy sauce, kosher salt, on the bbq......so good.

I don't get why guys get so hyped up about California Halibut.....it's way too dry and flavor-less (except for the cheeks).

But my favorite fish to eat, at least cooked, is sable fish. I love me some black cod.

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
    Aug 8, 2008
    Newport
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    interesting that t's are around in this temp. Congrats on a fun day guys!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Anytime you guys want to get rid of that terrible fresh white sea bass, give me a holler. I'll make sure it gets put to good use!:cool:

Upvote 0

socal_matt

Yakker
    Jan 4, 2012
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Nice work on the t-Shark but I have a question…

How exactly do you flyline a bait with a sliding sinker????

Good Question. I guess I kind of screwed up my description on that part. At least I was able to get the point across on what I was using.

Upvote 0