historic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
Sounds like you guys are working hard and doing well, congratulations! Is there a pilot house model on the drawing board?

bwesselink

Jun 13, 2014
Name
Brandon Wesselink
Boat
21' Thresher Boats Center Console
Thanks for the kind words.

Funny you should bring that up about the pilot house. Yes, we are currently in the works on that and I plan on unveiling it at the next Fred Hall shows.

I am trying to develop a bad ass model we can get to the public under 35k!

Stay tuned!

Reactions: historic

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Thanks for the kind words.

Funny you should bring that up about the pilot house. Yes, we are currently in the works on that and I plan on unveiling it at the next Fred Hall shows.

I am trying to develop a bad ass model we can get to the public under 35k!

Stay tuned!
Guessing by the prices on your other boats I would assume 21 or 22 feet?

historic

Oct 29, 2003
3 Rivers
Name
Jack
Boat
2459 Trophy "Driftwood"
Thanks for the reply, that's a lofty goal but it will be a winner if you can make it happen! I will stay tuned and good luck with the project.

Keitha

Oct 2, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
KA
Boat
18' Outrage
Guys, This is the American Dream! We all should be applauding Brandon and Thresher Boats. 1st off, He's obviously thick skinned to handle this bunch in a calm manner. We should hope for more manufacturers like Thresher - increased competition and consumer options will only help keep downward pressure on the pricing from the big manufacturers.
Great sign of doing the right thing with the 10 year warranty - no turning back now.
I'm pulling for Thresher Boats,

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
With respect to buying from China, there's a big difference between buying from well-established companies, and the thousands of start ups that are in it to make a quick hit and run. As an example, in 2010 China had 3,000 ship-building companies, most of them crap. In 2015, they had 300, and today they are looking to consolidate them down to just 50 or so. The bigger, more long-term companies in China certainly can build top quality boats. But I would not be comfortable with any Chinese vendor unless it has already been proven and tested.

Not saying it's because all Chinese products are cheap shit - they build your smart phones after all - it's just the way their market works. There's a crap ton of companies in the beginning of a cycle, followed by survival of the fittest until only a few quality makers are left. It's basically what we have in the US but in a much shorter time - a few years, instead of a few decades.

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
Hello everyone,

My name is Shawn, and I am a new Thresher 21' CC owner. This is my first boat, ever... so you can take that into consideration when I give you my opinion. I am new to boats and boating, but I was in the US Navy for 20 years, so I got my sea legs.

I picked up the boat on August 12, and I have already been out 5 times. I've fished Dana Point, Point Loma, and the La Jolla kelp beds. I've been as far out as the 178 but it was a nice day. The boat runs great, and handles small swells just fine. Anything over 2 feet, you gotta slow down, or bounce. I opened it up inside Mission Bay and had it maxed out at 32-34 mph with the 115 hp motor.

The fit and finish is pretty nice. As Brandon said, if you're looking to go fishing, this is a great boat. If you're looking for luxury and comfort, spend more money.

I added the bait tank, washdown, ship to shore radio, and the 7" Lowrance chartplotter/fish finder. Everything works as advertised. This is a good boat, at a great price point. My dad always told me if you can't afford what you like, learn to like what you can afford. This boat gave me the most bang for my buck out there, so I got it. I wanted to be able to fish on my terms without rubbing elbows with 50 other people.

Now for the, um, unpleasant things. At 236" bow to stern, it is 19' 8", so I am not sure where the 21' comes into play. Maybe that includes the outboard. It's light. It is sensitive to weight distribution. If you all stand on the same side, it tilts. It's comfortable fishing 3 people. Any more and you get in each other's way. When you're drifting, the swells will rock you more than a heavier boat, but I have never been seasick a day in my life, so I don't care. 2 of my friends, however... got sick.

The bait tank holds half scoop without an issue. Full scoop and half the sardines died. I'm cool with that, as well. When I go, it's usually 2 or 3 people and we've never run out (which doesn't speak well of my ability to find the fish, I guess).

There you have it. A review from an actual owner, albeit a novice owner. Any questions feel free to ask.

Oh, and note to Brandon... thanks for extending my hull warranty to 10 years! It's written here for all to see... :)

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I was on the east end of Cat yesterday and saw one of these boats. I wouldn't have a problem owning one.

bwesselink

Jun 13, 2014
Name
Brandon Wesselink
Boat
I would be interested to know what it would cost to have one shipped to Oahu
That's a good question? I imagine you would be looking at around $2,000 +/- for shipping to Hawaii?

If you ever head out to California, hit me up and we can meet at the showroom in San Clemente.

Thanks

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
I would be interested to know what it would cost to have one shipped to Oahu
I know for a car it is roughly 1k. My coworker wanted to buy a car for his daughter that was going to school in Oahu but 5k more than here so he shipped it over. He said it was a simple process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevofish

Jul 13, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Kevin R
Boat
Wellcraft 290 Coastal
I know for a car it is roughly 1k. My coworker wanted to buy a car for his daughter that was going to school in Oahu but 5k more than here so he shipped it over. He said it was a simple process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just an FYI; If the vehicle (car, boat, plane) is newer than 3 or 4 years, you will get hit by an excise/use tax when you register it in Hawaii (along with the registration fees for the specific county in Hawaii).

Older vehicles and boats are exempt. (the state of Hawaii wants residents to buy their new vehicles at local dealers for tax revenues obviously) Don't remember the exact % of the tax "penalty" but it's high enough to discourage auto importing new autos/trucks/suvs. (Think it was 4% or 5% of the purchase price from the state of origin)

I seem to remember that you might be able to deduct some or all of sales tax you pay in California from the amount you are dinged over there... However, it's been a while since i researched this for vacation home SUV but something to consider when factoring in the total cost of the shipping one of the new Thresher CCs to the islands from San Clemente

All the pertinent info should be on the Hawaii county site where you are going to register the vessel.

I had a buddy who bought a new boat on Maui through a local, licensed boat broker and since the sale was done through Hawaii, he avoided the use tax (even though the boat was "purchased" and shipped from Ventura, CA) (It was a sweet Robalo 265 WA)

Congrats to the Thresher folks on their boats too. Being a small business owner in California, i know how tough it can be. Extending the warranty to 10 years was a great step to boost customer confidence in your line. Kudos!

Reactions: Low N Slow

Cory Rapp

Sep 22, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Cory
Boat
21" Thresher "Double Hooker"
Anyone know anything about these boats? (other than what's on their website) Any insight would be appreciated.
These boats are great! I have had the 21" cc for about 3 years now. It is a charger, I have the mercury 90 on it and it cruises around 27-29 knots depending on the weather. I have had minor issues with it(mostly drainage when cleaning) but I believe I got the first boat he put together and since then i've seen his new models with better drainage systems. The owner Brandon and his crew are great when it comes to customer service and always respond within the day and handle any problems or questions I have asap so I can get back to fishing. This boat has taken me to san clemente island and back twice on a single tank of gas and I could have probably went there again. It is a great boat, cuts through the water like glass, fills up my freezer every trip. This was the best investment I have made, the price is worth it, grab one before they get big and the prices go up!

Reactions: bas13

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
I stopped by their show room today. Wanted to see what the 24" looked like. They didn't have the 24" but had some 21" in stock. Brandon's brother Patrick showed me around. I'm not as experience as most here as far as what to look for. From the little I know I liked what I saw. He showed me the upgrades that they had done threwout the time they have been around as far as the layouts of their boats and trailers. The shop looked professional and clean. I didn't see anything that brought up any concerns. They had a 21" that had been used and sold back to them because the guy upgraded to a 24". I saw this as a good thing. I don't see people spending additional money to upgrade a product that they thought sucked. I would think they would go elsewhere. It was also nice to see how the used boat looked after being on the water. I didn't see anything abnormal in its wear. The 21" is a simple boat. The cost is great. I was trying to find more info on thresher and found this forum. The feel of professionalism I reseved on my visit is the same as I felt reading Brandon replay to the negative posts I read earlier. The family owned feel is real with these guys. I'm still looking into them before I pull the trigger. But so far I like what I see. I hope the tough questions and great replies continue. It really helps someone like me trying to decide.

bwesselink

Jun 13, 2014
Name
Brandon Wesselink
Boat
Update -

Our Thresher 22 hulls are hand laid in Ensenada, Mexico and are built to the highest standards using the best materials and built to ABYC Standards. While we do still import our Thresher 24 hull from China, it again is built using a hand laid process, best materials available and built to ABYC standards. ALL our boats are built with a composite stringer system and are 100% foam filled.

Our boats are then rigged at our San Clemente location using only the best products available. Blue Seas Electronics, Sea Star Hydraulic Steering, Anchor Marine Wiring, Shields Hose, etc to name a few. We are OEM direct with almost all our vendors as well as Mercury and Honda Marine. We build, rigg, buy direct and sell straight to the consumer saving you $$$$$.

Now, with the growth we have had, we are in the process of moving ALL of our manufacturing to our new Ensenada, MX facility. This has nothing to do with quality of product that we are getting from our overseas manufacture; it is simply because of logistics and demand. So in the next year or so, ALL Thresher Boats models will be made here in North America.

At Thresher Boats we are also currently in the works of launching a Thresher 22 Pilot House Model, a new re-designed Thresher 24 (more aggressive bow / hull design) and to wrap up our portfolio we will eventually offer a Thresher 26/28? "Full Walk-Around Overnighter". I hope to launch the new Thresher 22 Pilot House at next years boat shows! This will be next level!

SDG6 - In regards to getting input on the performance and quality of our boats I highly recommend talking directly with a Thresher Boats owner. While everyone has valid opinions and feedback, there is no better info than going directly to the source.

With that said, if you or anyone would like to talk direct with a Thresher Boats owner, let me know and I can provide you with as many contacts as you would like. Our products speak for themselves!

I am really proud of the fact that we have a very strong customer base, almost all our sales are driven by word of mouth or by people getting on one of our boats (that someone they know has). I think this says a lot. I have no doubt you guys are seeing more and more Thresher Boats out there on the water:)

Flyhigh / Derby - You bring up good points in regards to the resale value. So this is something that we have planned for coming into this. When you offer a great product at a much lower price than the competition, using the same name brand components, steering and power (this is where the money is) paired with a industry standard 10 year warranty, you have much less "driving off the lot" loss than other overpriced boats. But I do agree that being a small manufacture trying to make a name is definitely a challenge and has many hurdles. Knowing this, is why about a year and a half ago, we started working with NADA Guidelines and compiling new boat and re-sell information on all our Thresher Boats. We are very proud to announce that we are now just a few months away to having our boats new and re-sell value being published in the NADA Guidelines......and what we are seeing is a fantastic re-sell value for our customers!

I hope I helped clarify a few things and answer a few questions. If I missed anything or if anyone would like to talk more off-line, please feel free to reach out to me.

I really appreciate the platform.

-Tight lines and Bloody Decks!

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
I've had my 2016 Thresher 21 for almost 2 years. As some folks may have seen in the few videos I've posted, I routinely fish the Coronado Islands, and was just there again April 15th. I have the 115hp Mercury and have rolled down to the Islands and trolled all damn day and used (at most) 16 gallons of gas. That was a 10 hour day.

My bait pump was making a weird noise, and I asked Brandon to look at it... he replaced it. At no cost. They stand behind their boats.

If you want to get on the water at a decent price, and not rub elbows with 40 other people... I say go for it.

Reactions: repo805

Jef

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 16, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
None
They are cool little boats that are priced right . If the made a small pilot house I would have definitely be interested . We need more competition here in socal