plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
So how does the $7,000 dollar repair look ? And why does that gas tank picture look like the boat has never been rinsed off ?

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    I bought mine in 2016. Ran it for 3+ years. Coronados, offshore... La Jolla... Dana Point... then I sold it because I want a better one. I'm sorry you had these issues, man.

Other than drainage being slow and a bait pump going out (which they replaced), it was good to me. Fishy as fuck.

Reactions: BigJimB and anglnsd
    Upvote 0

anglnsd

Jun 12, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Leenel
    Boat
    2016 Thresher 21' CC
    I bought mine in 2016. Ran it for 3+ years. Coronados, offshore... La Jolla... Dana Point... then I sold it because I want a better one. I'm sorry you had these issues, man.

Other than drainage being slow and a bait pump going out (which they replaced), it was good to me. Fishy as fuck.
    And I still have it and it's been good to me thus far. Offshore, La Jolla, Point Loma, however far of a range it allows me. Only reason why I was trying to sell it last year/early this year, was because a simple "need a bigger boat" bug. But I've decided to keep it and plan to do more personal touch mods to it.

Sorry for the issues you have had to deal with.

Reactions: Low N Slow
    Low N Slow
    Low N Slow
    I'm happy to hear Yellow Fever is still treating you well, bro!! My buddy who always went with me got a used Parker CC so I'm holding off for now and trying to be a good deckhand for the new captain! His boat is "Sea Bacon". If you hear us out there, give a shout! Tight lines!!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    That boat looks like it had a rough first six years of life with the new owner.

I'm not an expert in fuel tank and repairs, but it does look sketchy. I can see 5200 used as a sealer on one of the bolts. The sheet gasket they use to seal the plate on the gas tank looks like its stretched and uneven. Over time, the gasket material develops a "creep" and continues to squeeze out unless its internally reinforced. When a material stretches that much, its not reinforced. I wouldn't doubt that it passed the leak pressure test, but over time, the gasket flow due to the pressure from the bolts and the material squeezed out until small gaps form. Keep an eye on the bolts. If moisture gets in between the washers, it would corrode under it due to dissimilar metal contact.

Even the electrical work near the fuel tank looks sketchy. Its not a good practice to splice a positive red wire to a black wire which is usually for a ground. You can easily see the beautiful burn marks when they shrank that heat tubing with an open flame next to the fuel tanks. I'm not even sure what that blue wire and terminal is for on that wiring harness. There are even some wires that looks like its not used or connected to anything. Anyways, you need to tidy up the wires around the area with zip ties. The red wire next to the bolt with the 5200 looks like it has been rubbing and may cause a short right over a leaky fuel tank. Its a no-no for safety reasons. The real big question is why is so many damn electrical wires ran over or near the fuel tanks? Typically you just want to have wires for the sending units and grounding wires. Hell, I don't even see an obvious grounding wire to the fuel tank. Metal tanks usually have them to bleed ESD charges to prevent an explosion. Its required per federal law section 183.572.

1630918227037.png

Your side walls looks like it is already split open and there is corrosion under it. It might just need a cleanup and repaint. Those batteries doesn't even look like its tied down properly. Make sure its tied down properly if it isn't.

1630918203928.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0