Almost A Member
May 11, 2009
los angeles
Name
aaron
Boat
thresher boats/hobie outback
Thresher Boats review after 6 years.
Short version – DON’T BUY!! This boat is absolute junk. Poorly manufactured, unsafe and worst of all the owners have absolutely no clue what they are doing.
Long version – We bought this boat back in 2015 and there have been serious problems with it since day one. When my brother and I bought this lemon in 2015, we hardly knew anything about boats. The price seemed great but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Problem number 1 – The trailer is crap but more importantly, Thresher Boats did not even ensure it was properly put together. Basically there were some bolts not properly secured causing one of the supports to wiggle. When we hit a small dip on the road, the boat hopped up which caused a ding/dent about the size of a silver dollar on the bottom of the hull. Thresher took responsibility and fixed the damage, actually they paid a nearby mechanic to fix it.
Problem number 2 – The floor is paper thin. Due to gas tank issues (I’ll get to this later), we had to remove the floor. I already knew if felt weak but when we removed the floor board and inspected it, it was a lot worse than we thought. Paper thin, poor quality and unsafe.
Problem number 3 – The biggest issue with this boat has been the gas tank. It has a 50 gallon tank but starts acting like its empty around half a tank. The fuel pick up is in the wrong spot. It should be towards the rear of the gas tank. I never suspected that the fuel pick up was in the wrong spot. Went through various checks such as fuel line, filters, etc. before realizing this defect. Contacted Thresher boats and they said they would take care of it. Took the boat to them in San Clemente so they could fix the issue. They did not. Actually they made the problem worse. Ran the boat and still having the same issue. After more time passed, started smelling gas and realized there is a leak somewhere. Contacted Thresher again but they said it would take at least 6 months to get to us because they were busy. At this point I decided to take the boat to a local mechanic is San Pedro.
The mechanic was baffled and shocked at the poor quality of this boat. They had to remove the floor to access the gas tank which is when we discovered the paper thin floor. The gas tank was leaking from two spots. There was a small crack on the bottom of the corner but the shocker was the leak coming from the top of the tank. When Thresher Boats attempted to fix this the first time, they were so lazy that they simply cut a square opening in the top of the tank and “re-sealed it with bolts”, and they didn’t even fix the issue. Not even sure what they did because when we removed the tank, the fuel pick up was still not in the correct spot. I haven’t verified this yet but the mechanic and my neighbor who happens to be a retired coast guard inspector both believe that this type of “repair” is not legal nor would it pass coast guard inspection.
I contacted Thresher boats again. I had informed them that I did not want to wait on them to do the repair and that I was going to a local shop. The owner agreed to go 50/50 on the repair costs. When I called him after the mechanic gave me the estimate, Thresher boats flipped out. The amount was too much for him to go 50/50 I guess and he pretty much told me too bad. Actually he offered $1000.00. I laughed at his offer. The repair bill for the floor and gas tank is $7000. I really don’t care about the money. If I did I’d take them to court but I really don’t have time for that nonsense. Knowing that this post / review might save someone from buying this junk is priceless.
There are plenty of other minor issues that I did not even get into otherwise this post will turn into 100 pages. Last thing I’ll mention is that all the wiring in the console is house wires. Again, poor quality.
DON’T BUY, DON’T RISK YOUR LIFE ON THIS THING UNLESS YOU’RE WILLING TO FIX EVERYTHING THE RIGHT WAY LIKE I DID.
DON’T BUY INTO THE THEIR BULLSHIT SALES PITCH. “WHEN YOU BUY THRESHER, YOU’RE IN THE THRESHER FAMILY FOR LIFE”. THEY ARE FULL OF CRAP AND RAN FOR THE HILLS WHEN I CALLED THEM OUT ON THEIR BS. THEY WILL NOT TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE THING THEY ARE SELLING. MAYBEE THEIR NEW MODELS ARE BETTER, MAYBE NOT. STILL WOULDN’T GO WITH THESE GUYS AS THEY PROVED THAT THEY DON’T KNOW A THING ABOUT BOATS.

622059287.jpg

IMG952060.jpg

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Name
Tomas
Boat
Sea Hunt Victory 207
Good report. Almost bought a used Thresher a few years back.
What you got is a first generation Thresher boat. It is very unlikely for a new company and new product to have engineering and manufacturing issues worked out on the first run. Not trying to defend Thresher, but the company did work with you and tried making things right. I walked a new Thresher during the last long beach boat show in 2020 and I talked to the owner, and the new Thresher CC looked good. Hopefully Thresher has heard your feedback and improved their QC, floor board design, and tank design.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Do any boat makers offer a factory tour? I think Davis and Radon had an open door policy.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Doesn't surprise me. And honestly I thought they were priced pretty high for being a new company with no pedigree and unknown hulls. Believe they were originally made in Mexico, but, maybe have since moved to US? When I looked at their original model years ago(that they don't even make anymore) everything looked super cheap and just kinda slapped together.

Upvote 0

aronchovy

Almost A Member
    May 11, 2009
    los angeles
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    Good report. Almost bought a used Thresher a few years back.
    What you got is a first generation Thresher boat. It is very unlikely for a new company and new product to have engineering and manufacturing issues worked out on the first run. Not trying to defend Thresher, but the company did work with you and tried making things right. I walked a new Thresher during the last long beach boat show in 2020 and I talked to the owner, and the new Thresher CC looked good. Hopefully Thresher has heard your feedback and improved their QC, floor board design, and tank design.
    Their attempts at making things right is the worst part of all. It showed their lack of knowledge and incompetence. The "repair" on the gas tank put my life and others in serious danger.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Doesn't surprise me. And honestly I thought they were priced pretty high for being a new company with no pedigree and unknown hulls. Believe they were originally made in Mexico, but, maybe have since moved to US? When I looked at their original model years ago(that they don't even make anymore) everything looked super cheap and just kinda slapped together.
    Are you sure it wasn't made in China? That sounds like it was Made In China!

Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 9, 2008
    Santa Clarita
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    There absolute junk! I was all over the one at F.H. show and it also had automotive wiring. Decks were thin, sides were light on material. Shit they make bayliners look like a top tier boat in comparison.

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Are you sure it wasn't made in China? That sounds like it was Made In China!
    TBH I really think that their original hulls might have been made in China, I can't remember but I feel like it was an asian country. But they have since moved their operation to Ensenada.

Reactions: BigJimB and kevina
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    TBH I really think that their original hulls might have been made in China, I can't remember but I feel like it was an asian country. But they have since moved their operation to Ensenada.

As of 3 years ago, the owner says the 22's are made in Ensenada and the 24's are made in China.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    As of 3 years ago, the owner says the 22's are made in Ensenada and the 24's are made in China.

That explains the 24's

Upvote 0

aronchovy

Almost A Member
    May 11, 2009
    los angeles
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    As far as I know, the first models were manufactured in China. Attempting to correct a fuel issue by cutting a hole in the gas tank and bolting it back together causing a gas leak was done by Thesher Boats right here is the good ol USA. Oh and they didn't even fix the issue.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    What you got is a first generation Thresher boat. It is very unlikely for a new company and new product to have engineering and manufacturing issues worked out on the first run. Not trying to defend Thresher, but . . .
    Your comments do come off as a defense. Based on the pictures, the quality is indefensible. It is one thing to make improvements from an initial model, it is another to send a boat out the door with those problems. Doing so suggests a lack of concern for quality, and a willingness to produce an inferior product that permanently taints a manufacturer absent wholesale change in ownership and management.

Reactions: PaDDy Killer'
    BigJimB
    BigJimB
    Not making excuses for poor quality. At the same time, your photo of the plate fastened to the top of fuel tanks is a common fabrication technique. I don't think any of the 12+ boats I've owned have not had the fill/gauge/vent mounted in a removable inspection/clean-out plate like the one you've shown. Applying Corrosiuon Block as part of your maintenance routine goes a long way also.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    Just yesterday my Buddy said his friend just bought a Thrasher and they went out and caught limits of Rockfish...He was Pumped!...I wasn't going to ruin his experience (about just reading this thread). He didnt buy it so I figured Don't wreck it for him...I imagine they will find out soon.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Hopefully they adress the issues with the boat , it dosen`t take long for word to travel along the water front , if they don`t fix the problems they will be sunk

Upvote 0

aronchovy

Almost A Member
    May 11, 2009
    los angeles
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    A little knowledge goes a long way in the buying cycle. BTW what you call a floor is called a deck in the boating world...
    Didnt know much in 2015 but learned a heck of a lot since. Im sure im still far behind someone as knowledgeable as yourself. Btw thanks for the vocab lesson but i prefer it my way.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    You should take them to small claims court. You have a slam dunk case. They are a corporation so there should be no problem recovering the damages that the court will award you.

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Buy cheap and Buy often or spend the money up front for quality,In the end the costs are similar.

Upvote 0