kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
I confess to the crime! Yes, another novice rod builder joining the ranks. Using Covid-19 as an opportunity and a blessing in disguise, I jumped into the hobby 6 months ago. (How the heck do I have four full boxes of components and over a dozen blanks sitting now?!?) 🤪 I'd always admired from up close and afar all of the downright custom wrapping talent here on BD over the last 15 years or so. Easy to see how addictive rod wrapping can be but it serves another purpose for me now. Although some of you have been more than gracious to donate rods to my annual summer charity charters in San Diego, I can now go a step further by custom wrapping rods myself to give away to single parent kids and our active or retired veterans. This is my first attempt at building multiple color themed rods. These 3 Thrasher sticks were built for a buddy, James in Montebello. He wanted to limit the amount of gear he hauled on trips but also a solid arsenal to tackle 90% of his angling needs in SoCal and offshore Mexico. (Couple more rods planned including a heavy CrowBar cow killer railrod). He was done with fishing big butt, heavy glass long rods and decided on composite blanks. Wrapped a TRF80M (15-40, bait/light jigs), a RAW 86 jigstick (30-60, bait/heavy jigs) and a TRFM76H (20-100, no typo on rating. Blank handles most anything you throw at it and then some!) 98% Alps/Forecast components other than the Fuji trigger reel seat and the thread/epoxy used. Basic rod construction, not perfect but all 3 ready to log some serious fish killing time. It's definitely challenging to learn through personal trial and error. Experiencing the pitfalls of correctly mixing epoxy, double/triple wrapping threads in size A, B, C and D combinations. The importance of static testing and guide spacing. Tricks to adhering grips, decals and reel seats. Using and forgetting to use color preserver. (Doh!) Thanks to many of you known and unknown for "hooking" me into this hobby. I'm inspired by all the amazing work on this forum, from basic to extraordinary artwork. The decision to start investing time in rod wrapping, I chalk up to a natural progression as another way to enjoy the sport we are all passionate about. Grateful for all of the BD family who donate their time and efforts to take kids or our military members, fishing. Tried to post a video so y'all could have fun pot shotting my wrapping flaws but too big a file. 🤪 I wish you bent rods and even bigger smiles, BD! See you at the landings soon. Keep showing me yours and I'll show you mine...😂

IMG_20210403_115233280~3.jpg

IMG_20210520_123046803~2.jpg

IMG_20210520_123132444~2.jpg

IMG_20210520_123154726~2.jpg

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
Awesome work. A trio is a challenge even for experienced builders. One of the things I love about BD, our new folks aren't afraid to jump in and tackle anything.

FYI: If you want to share your large videos, you can upload them to a file hosting service and then just post the link. I use youtube, but there are several options.

Reactions: kuyamonster
kuyamonster
kuyamonster
Good idea there, Matt. I'll try that method and keep the video short...
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Nicely done and it looks like you are hooked!

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Thanks Einar! Really dig your work as well. I've been meaning to wrap a Hilltop Lancers color themed rod to pay homage to part of my Chula Vista roots. Green, black and white should look cool...🐟
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    Posting your first builds is always a nail biter. No worries, you hit it out of the park! It'll be a treat watching your progression.

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Much mahalo, Grant. More to follow here and there, my northern PNW neighbor...😃
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, everyone. Seeing the rod work many of you have done over the seasons was a big factor for me to start. Sky's the limit, right? Can't wait to go bendo this season again on a few personal rod builds. No better feeling! Cheers, BD! 😁🍻🐟

Reactions: sealskinner
    Upvote 0

Dbado1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat
    Toyota tundra
    Nice builds, buddy!
    Thank you for the time you took with me getting my first Thrasher build done. I'm gonna build another. Love the blanks! Great work!
    Dean

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Appreciate your kind words, Dean. Go for it and get bendo on that 76H soon! 😜
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

mwardncsu

• Sep 23, 2009
    Mebane, NC
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None (for now)
    Nice looking work - look forward to seeing more from you!

kuyamonster
    kuyamonster
    Thanks, Mike. Looking forward to more. Wolfpack fan, I presume? 🐺 Have family members that are split between Tarheels and Blue Devils. Brings new meaning to the "madness" in March! 😂
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0